joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2015 Pattern Discussion

CapturedNature

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even the Euro is doing this now...closing off a 594dm height node over the Bahamas.  

That's so funny... can't get that in June, but ... hell hath no fury when it comes to Christmas glee.  Am I the only one that's giggling in my chair over this. 

That aside, that's gotta be some sort of particularly hot anomaly.  Hmm

This is incredible looking ... The EPO ridge is so dominating it appears to be blocking any cross-polar flow.  Somewhat ironic because -EPO's usually support more of that.  But here .. the shear size and girth of that beast (particularly in the GFS and GGEM) is really pinching the hemisphere off between Eurasia and this side of the hemisphere...  Fascinating.  

test8.gif

Am I wrong to kinda like that look for up here?wouldnt be hard to envision cold enuf air winning that battle. Quite the battle zone.

This is incredible looking ... The EPO ridge is so dominating it appears to be blocking any cross-polar flow. Somewhat ironic because -EPO's usually support more of that. But here .. the shear size and girth of that beast (particularly in the GFS and GGEM) is really pinching the hemisphere off between Eurasia and this side of the hemisphere... Fascinating.

test8.gif

This is incredible looking ... The EPO ridge is so dominating it appears to be blocking any cross-polar flow.  Somewhat ironic because -EPO's usually support more of that.  But here .. the shear size and girth of that beast (particularly in the GFS and GGEM) is really pinching the hemisphere off between Eurasia and this side of the hemisphere...  Fascinating.  

test8.gif

I don't get what's so bad about what the massive -EPO ridge I mean if it does get mild on Jan 4th it quickly gets cold again a day later.

I think in the dreadful winter of 2001-2002 Canada was frigid while the warmth remained just south with us. Not sure it is an actual analog, but the picture looks similar. At least we get a few cold days out of this, if no snow.

Lol...Canada fried that winter ..,at least southern Canada did.

No, that winter was different. That was a big AK vortex.

Yeah, complete opposite, this pattern right now is odd as many other Mets have said...I don't ever recall seeing that much of an EPO ridge and the SE US being so insanely warm....I've seen it transiently before such as December 1990 but that thing is there at least til around 1/4 or so.

Yeah, complete opposite, this pattern right now is odd as many other Mets have said...I don't ever recall seeing that much of an EPO ridge and the SE US being so insanely warm....I've seen it transiently before such as December 1990 but that thing is there at least til around 1/4 or so.

It's a bit too far west for this pattern. That just causes troughs to dig S and even SW which then leads to fast gradient flow and storms that may ride into the Lakes. It does look like it will shift east at times which is why I'm hopeful to try and cash in after next week.

I must be thinking of another winter.. can't recall, though. Cold air trapped in Canada... ferociously cold in Newfoundland, but quite mild here. So close but so far away. Anyhow, any chance that the too far west Alaskan ridge might budge east?

I don't think it will, it'll breakdown briefly or retrograde after 1/6 and then about 10 days later I think the MJO going into phase 7 builds us a classic west coast ridge

I must be thinking of another winter.. can't recall, though. Cold air trapped in Canada... ferociously cold in Newfoundland, but quite mild here. So close but so far away. Anyhow, any chance that the too far west Alaskan ridge might budge east?

Yeah I mentioned it tries to build eastward and poleward. That will try to bring cold southeast at times. It's a tough call. A 100-200 mile difference in the mean ridge axis in AK could mean epic snows or pedestrian. I think it's dangerous to assume one way or the other. We'll have out shots, that's all you can say. That day 8 event could very well be quite an icing deal in the interior.

96-97 maybe, it was crazy cold in Canada and the upper plains, I think we had a similar problem with the ridge being way too far west over AK, and the NAO went positive in January and February after it was negative in December

I use these maps not to predict but to show how having the cold in Canada can evolve into a great outcome. We evolved from a SE Ridge Pos NAO gradient into a snowy stormy month. The bridge jumpers are nuts

dwm500_test_20050101.gif

dwm500_test_20050123.gif

Archived