SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2015 Pattern Discussion

CapturedNature

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jesus guys, relax. I stated what they showed. Perhaps look at my post in the model thread. And the EC has sucked lately. Whether it is right or wrong nobody knows. It does try to rebuild ridging a bit later in the run.

Let's get an nao. Lacking that we have issues long term.

Jesus guys, relax. I stated what they showed. Perhaps look at my post in the model thread. And the EC has sucked lately. Whether it is right or wrong nobody knows. It does try to rebuild ridging a bit later in the run.

haha

I bet you are are lowering your expecations Calmly, while weenies are doing the same just not calmly.

I had asked this a couple of days ago but I don't think anyone responded. I thought I read that BN temps in the far N Atlantic caused a +NAO and that is the condition this yr. Would make sense I guess since I believe that a warmer N Pacific last

yr helped the -EPO.

Well they can feedback, but IMHO SSTs are overrated in the NPAC and NATL. They help feedback to an extent, but the waters are more a product of the pattern..not the other way around. We've had a strong strat vortex and there is no coincidence the NAO has been very + too. After years of getting a -NAO every time a polar bear farted, mother nature is balancing things out a bit.

That's definitely not a very good look on the Euro ensembles way out in la-la range. Hopefully that shifts back a bit more favorable(they've been very volatile as Scott already mentioned).

Prior to that though, the clipper looks nice on the ensembles and that cold shot is pretty sick.

There does seem to be some correlation, but what do I know? Anyway I hope it's not too correlated bc aren't we headed for a period of colder N Atl? Think it's called AMO or something like that. I know the NAO can be overrated. But this far S in SNE I wouldn't want to go years with a predominantly + NAO. But like you said could be nature balancing things out.

There does seem to be some correlation, but what do I know? Anyway I hope it's not too correlated bc aren't we headed for a period of colder N Atl? Think it's called AMO or something like that. I know the NAO can be overrated. But this far S in SNE I wouldn't want to go years with a predominantly + NAO. But like you said could be nature balancing things out.

Well its not just the AMO...we entered a cold AMO back around 1960 through the mid 1990s...for the first half of that cold AMO period, we had a lot of -NAO winters in the 1960s and 1970s. But then we went through a period of predominately +NAOs in the 1980s and early 1990s.

The cold pool up by Greenland acts more as a feedback rather than root cause. But the NAO clearly has some decadal oscillations that may be independent of SSTs...or at least not in phase with them...perhaps there is some sort of a lag. It's not understood very well.

From when Monday or today?

They have week 2 as shaky which is no coincidence that the ensembles show it, but then bring higher heights back into NW Canada week 3 and esp week 4. Obviously these are the weeklies which aren't always correct, but I don't see the pattern reversing. If anything they are forecasting an improvement.  Still a +NAO though but very cold in Canada.

They have week 2 as shaky which is no coincidence that the ensembles show it, but then bring higher heights back into NW Canada week 3 and esp week 4. Obviously these are the weeklies which aren't always correct, but I don't see the pattern reversing. If anything they are forecasting an improvement. Still a +NAO though but very cold in Canada.

Very cold weeks 1-4?

Very cold weeks 1-4?

No, not here. Week 2 is shaky as evident by the ensembles. Verbatim they are not cold, but a week ago, they also had temps near normal next week when it will be frigid. Hence why I always ignore srfc temps from seasonal models, and just look at H5. That tells me all  I need to know. Those model srfc temps are usually real bad.

The fate of this winter will be determined over the next 10 days. I just took a gander at MJO guidance and it's muddy at best.

NCEP's weekly publication stated that the MJO is moderately strong and is in "constructive" interference with the surrounding medium. 

That's code for why the PNA has been predominantly negative, and it would seem to be subtropical forcing at work... 

Be that as it may, they go on to state that the wave should migrate into the western Pacific Basin by week two.  So perhaps no coincidence we see the PNA forecast to become positive at that time, as the west Pac is 6th through the end of the 8th wave spaces.  

I don't think it so much comes down to the next 10 days, per se - although, with a -EPO loading cold occasionally, an event can transpire anomalous, relative to, at any time. Barring the anomaly .. the better susceptibility to storminess would likely be mid month. 

Also, don't forget March 1956.  Snow deficits turned into surplus on the season between March 1 and the 31st that month.

Agree. Plus they will never pick up on low level cold.

Again I feel the gefs have a better idea on the pattern going forward

I sort of think that too, but I can't discount what is usually the more accurate data set..so if one sort of compromises, it would work..esp up this way.

Archived