• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
January 2015 General Discussion

Powerball

Picked up some unexpected snow overnight.

Drifting going to be an issue today. And with that, breaking news that I-65 (just to the north of here) has all NB lanes closed due to an accident:

http://www.jconline.com/story/news/2015/01/07/i65-closed-injury-crash/21379091/

http://wlfi.com/2015/01/07/northbound-lanes-of-i-65-closed/

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Picked up about an inch of fluff last night. Was surprised to wake up and have to sweep off the sidewalk and car.

Truly nickle and diming our way to a snowpack. Typical SEMI January tundra weather...

DTW was down to 0.5mi visib for 2 hours overnight. Must have been that band? We picked up a fresh 0.7" both imby & DTW. Total winter wonderland outside. Depth is about 2.4" of squeaky powder.

Must have been it. I noticed there was a SWS out for the band. Not bad at all.

Yup.

I have mixed feelings about overnight snows like that. I love the waking up to see how much snow has fallen (reminds me of being a kid) but it would have been nice to see the squall pass through and the snow actually falling.

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ANN ARBOR...DETROIT...ADRIAN...MONROE

214 AM EST WED JAN 7 2015

...CAUTIOUS TRAVEL IS ADVISED FOR RAPID REDUCTIONS OF VISIBILITY

AND INTENSE SNOWFALL TONIGHT...

WEATHER...

* A BAND OF LAKE EFFECT SNOW SQUALLS WILL MOVE THROUGH THE

INTERSTATE 94 CORRIDOR THROUGH 4 AM.

* A QUICK BURST OF SNOWFALL IS EXPECTED. SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF UP

TO 1 INCH ARE EXPECTED IN AREAS IMPACTED BETWEEN 2 AM AND 4 AM.

Heavy snow in Valparaiso with like no radar returns

KVPZ 071705Z AUTO 30017G25KT 1/4SM +SN VV012 M15/M18 A3059 RMK AO2 P0000     T11501178 TSNO

Looks like they are midway between radars and they probably overshoot Valparaiso by 3-5k feet like at my location, last night I got almost 1.5" snow out of that sweet lake effect band that was going from traverse city to detroit, no returns here though in the radar "hole" :D

Looks like they are midway between radars and they probably overshoot Valparaiso by 3-5k feet like at my location, last night I got almost 1.5" snow out of that sweet lake effect band that was going from traverse city to detroit, no returns here though in the radar "hole" :D

Was checking the obs and they've had low visibility for hours.  LOT only had a chance of light snow in the forecast.  Would be great if Thunder Road or someone from the area can chime in and back up VPZ's obs.

LES created quite the driving headache over here today. The band hit FWA mid morning. I drove right into it. Went from sunshine to 300 ft visibility in less than a mile. It was exciting watching the slide-offs and wrecks occurring around me on I 69.

By mid afternoon the band shifted down to Huntington. Measuring was difficult thanks to the wind. I'm going 1.8", most of which fell sideways. Several near white out condition moments. Much more exciting than the overnight needle fest.

Was checking the obs and they've had low visibility for hours. LOT only had a chance of light snow in the forecast. Would be great if Thunder Road or someone from the area can chime in and back up VPZ's obs.

The campus webcam had low visibility for a while, and we received a Facebook report of near zero visibility at times near Valparaiso.

Ice jam season has arrived on the Kankakee River.

ILC091-090016-

/O.NEW.KLOT.FL.W.0001.150108T1216Z-000000T0000Z/
/MOMI2.1.ER.150108T1002Z.150108T1145Z.000000T0000Z.NO/
616 AM CST THU JAN 8 2015

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CHICAGO HAS ISSUED A

* FLOOD WARNING FOR
THE KANKAKEE RIVER AT MOMENCE.
* UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.
* AT 545 AM THURSDAY THE STAGE WAS 5.7 FEET.
* FLOOD STAGE IS 5.0 FEET.
* FORECAST....THE RIVER MAY FLUCTUATE RAPIDLY DUE TO THE ICE.
* IMPACT...ICE JAM FLOODING CAN BE VERY LOCALIZED AND NOT AFFECT ALL
LOCATIONS ALONG THE RIVER. RESIDENTS IN LOW LYING FLOOD PRONE AREAS
SHOULD REMAIN ALERT FOR POSSIBLE FLOODING DUE TO ICE JAMS.

FLOOD ADVISORY

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE IL
558 AM CST THU JAN 8 2015

ILC091-090000-
/O.CON.KLOT.FA.Y.0001.000000T0000Z-150109T0000Z/
/00000.N.IJ.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.OO/
KANKAKEE IL-
558 AM CST THU JAN 8 2015

...FLOOD ADVISORY FOR ICE JAM FLOODING REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR EASTERN
KANKAKEE COUNTY UNTIL 600 PM CST THURSDAY...

A TRAINED SPOTTER REPORTED AN ICE JAM ALONG NORTH EAGLE ISLAND ROAD
LAST EVENING...JUST NORTH OF ROUTE 17 WITH WATER POOLING BEHIND THE
ICE JAM. EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT HAD ALSO REPORTED AN ICE JAM NEAR THE
RAILROAD BRIDGE IN AROMA PARK. ADDITIONAL ICE JAMS WILL BE POSSIBLE
ALONG THE KANKAKEE RIVER AS BITTERLY COLD TEMPERATURES CONTINUE.

ICE JAMS CAN RESULT IN RAPID FLUCTUATIONS IN WATER LEVELS WITH
LITTLE OR NO WARNING. RESIDENTS LIVING ALONG THE KANKAKEE RIVER
SHOULD REMAIN ALERT FOR RAPID CHANGES IN WATER LEVELS DUE TO ICE.

So, how about that snow in Jacksonville, FL today? Pretty cool.

METAR KJAX 081956Z 01013KT 8SM -SN BKN022 BKN045 OVC200 03/M02 A3045 RMK AO2 SNB09 SLP312 P0000 T00331017

Only in the deep South would you see an LSR for non-measurable snow

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT  NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE JACKSONVILLE FL  255 PM EST THU JAN 08 2015     .TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON     .DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE.                ..REMARKS..    0209 PM     SNOW             1 ENE JACKSONVILLE INTL 30.49N 81.69W   01/08/2015  M0.0 INCH        DUVAL              FL   ASOS                            THE OFFICIAL NWS ASOS IS RECORDING LIGHT SNOW.  

Day 7 says "bye bye" to winter on the Euro... 

Cold day here...had 3F in my van when i was driving this afternoon...wind still blowing.  Tonite should drop hard...-10F or so.

Yeah I see some 30s on Day 7 and 8. Would be heat wave compared to snow.

High of 8° really early today. Been below that all during the day. Had a little drifting snow last night, but nothing crazy.

Tonight looks pretty cold.  Might even make a run at Thursday's low temp but once again the surface high is not ideally positioned.

I doubt we get to -5˚. Winds still up and probably will the rest of the overnight...and temp has stalled at LAF. Was hoping for a cheap late negative number for today, to go along with the cheap midnight high, but that isn't happening. 

The setup with the big Canadian high early to mid next week after the Sunday night snow looks supportive of some very cold low temperatures, assuming it stays clear. This is even with temperatures not being too cold aloft. 12z Euro had mid minus teens in central IL Wednesday morning. The colder it gets those nights will make it more likely for January to finish up well below average despite the coming thaw next weekend into the following week.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The setup with the big Canadian high early to mid next week after the Sunday night snow looks supportive of some very cold low temperatures, assuming it stays clear. This is even with temperatures not being too cold aloft. 12z Euro had mid minus teens in central IL Wednesday morning. The colder it gets those nights will make it more likely for January to finish up well below average despite the coming thaw next weekend into the following week.

Sent from my SM-G900V

It will be interesting to see what kind of thaw we have, and who knows what will transpire as its still far away, but I noticed surface temps are not impressive despite the torchy 850s on the models.

Archived