• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
January 2015 General Discussion

Powerball

I doubt we get to -5˚. Winds still up and probably will the rest of the overnight...and temp has stalled at LAF. Was hoping for a cheap late negative number for today, to go along with the cheap midnight high, but that isn't happening. 

Definitely will need to pick up the pace.  0 right now with winds of 8 mph compared to -7 with winds of 9 mph at midnight Thursday.

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It will be interesting to see what kind of thaw we have, and who knows what will transpire as its still far away, but I noticed surface temps are not impressive despite the torchy 850s on the models.

Good point, the solid snow cover over the area is likely to mute the warm up, at least to start. If there isn't a wound up cutter to pump up higher dewpoints and produce heavy rain, could skate by with a subdued mild up overall. The GEFS and EPS today both strongly pointed toward a return of the -EPO later in the month.

It will be interesting to see what kind of thaw we have, and who knows what will transpire as its still far away, but I noticed surface temps are not impressive despite the torchy 850s on the models.

If you're talking about the GFS, the surface temps will probably be underdone as long as there's southerly low level flow.  I could see the thaw getting muted initially given the snowpack.

I am ecstatic there will be only LIGHT wind with this next snowfall! Enough with the drifting. It doesnt matter how much snow you get, the very tip of grass tips are visible all over the place in open areas. Then of course there are some impressive drifts. Makes it almost impossible to do an avg snow depth, though Im still going with 4" on average. The snow depth is literally not uniform anywhere. Someone may have 1-2" on much of their lawn with maybe one big drift while others have a drifted over yard of 5-6" plus drifts. Now, if we get a few inches of wind-free snow falling on top of our drifty landscape, it should look really sweet Monday.

I am ecstatic there will be only LIGHT wind with this next snowfall! Enough with the drifting. It doesnt matter how much snow you get, the very tip of grass tips are visible all over the place in open areas. Then of course there are some impressive drifts. Makes it almost impossible to do an avg snow depth, though Im still going with 4" on average. The snow depth is literally not uniform anywhere. Someone may have 1-2" on much of their lawn with maybe one big drift while others have a drifted over yard of 5-6" plus drifts. Now, if we get a few inches of wind-free snow falling on top of our drifty landscape, it should look really sweet Monday.

The grass tips, for the most part, should be gone after this upcoming snowfall.

If we must have snow on the ground, let's make it look neat at least...:lol:

when are you moving to the UP?

The grass tips, for the most part, should be gone after this upcoming snowfall.

If we must have snow on the ground, let's make it look neat at least... :lol:

Lol my yard is more uniform than many areas right now, but still in my yard alone on the one side I have a drift thats pretty wide that reaches 11" deep and then spots as low as 2". The other side is a more "uniform" 3-5".

Dont get me wrong, some of the drifts are pretty cool to look at, as well as how big the snowbanks are from a drifty 3 inch snowfall,  its just funny seeing such a variable winter landscape.

lol. I couldnt live in such isolation but id LOVE a cabin there.

Last winter looked like the UP here and Ill tell you...it would NEVER get old.

That's funny, the isolation is what I like.  At any rate, you should enjoy your trip to the UP in March.  Lots of deep snow.

Talked to Sandy at Krupps today, and they've have 170" already.

Last night's 2" or so has us up to almost 14" for the season.  Nickel and diming our way up there, much like the past 3 seasons.

The persistent cold has allowed the snow to remain in place, with just the normal compacting/sublimating occurring.  About 6" of snow on the ground, with the bottom layers fairly dense now due to some compacting.  

Tomorrow night looks like a very good radiational cooling night here as the center of the high moves almost directly overhead.  Various guidance is spitting out temps below zero, despite very lackluster 850 mb temps around -4C.  Too bad we couldn't get this favorable setup with a much colder airmass...the bottom could've dropped out. 

Lake effect kinda winding down as winds shift from the north, down to 2 degrees tho.  A cold day!  Had 3" of snow since daybreak at my house.  Drove dow into Marquette today for groceries and took a logging road shortcut.  Stopped to measure snow and it was over 40".  A couple of phone pics from my trip.

Lake effect kinda winding down as winds shift from the north, down to 2 degrees tho.  A cold day!  Had 3" of snow since daybreak at my house.  Drove dow into Marquette today for groceries and took a logging road shortcut.  Stopped to measure snow and it was over 40".  A couple of phone pics from my trip.

attachicon.gifphot1-12151 (2).JPG

attachicon.gif112152.JPG

Heading up the 30th through the 3rd... Keep it coming.

Areas outside of the metro area have already fallen below -10. MSP went calm the past hour so we will see what happens.

Wow - just checked some temps...the heat island at MSP is bad.  I never realized it was so significant.  I guess one just imagines MSP being "cold" in the winter...without realizing how much colder it can be nearby.

WEATHER ROUNDUP FOR MINNESOTA  NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TWIN CITIES/CHANHASSEN MN  1000 PM CST MON JAN 12 2015    NOTE: "FAIR" INDICATES FEW OR NO CLOUDS BELOW 12,000 FEET WITH NO  SIGNIFICANT WEATHER AND/OR S TO VISIBILITY. N/A MEANS  CURRENT SKY AND/OR WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE NOT AVAILABLE.    MNZ060>063-068>070-130500-     TWIN CITIES METRO         CITY           SKY/WX    TMP DP  RH WIND       PRES   REMARKS  TWIN CITIES    MOCLDY     0 -10  63 CALM      30.79S                    ST PAUL        PTCLDY    -5 -10  79 E3        30.81S                    CRYSTAL        PTCLDY    -4 -14  62 CALM      30.78S                    BLAINE         FAIR      -8 -13  77 CALM      30.77S                    LAKEVILLE      MOCLDY   -15 -18  84 CALM      30.77S                    EDEN PRAIRIE   MOCLDY    -5 -12  72 CALM      30.78R                    SOUTH ST PAUL  PTCLDY    -6 -11  79 CALM      30.79F                    LAKE ELMO        N/A    -11 -15  84 CALM      30.79S

Archived