• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Countdown to spring and summer 2015

Ian

I'm just having fun. They have done well with the epo though. I wouldn't be shocked if the ridge goes up and the cold comes down. Mid-late march cold is warm anyways.

I defintely wouldnt be surprised if we have to claw to the warm season again. I'm tired though... Fortunately DC avg is 60+ at end mo.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't even looked past this storm in a while. I hope the temporary warmup is coming. Snowcover is getting lame.

The 10th-15th have looked seasonable AOA for a while. Some 60's should happen during that period if it doesn't rain or some sneaky back door front drops down. My wag is those 5 days average above normal. How much (if at all) is anyone's guess.

I don't give a crap about snowpack anymore. It will still melt with temps below freezing during the day so may as well just get rid of it now.

All about padding stats at this point. If we do hit 60s it will feel like summer.

I think we are sufficiently padded at this point. Adding another mod event wouldn't change the stats much.

Even though it's been cold and snow on the ground here for most of the last 3-4 weeks can see buds fattening on cherry trees around here, and the something trees behind my place have red fuzzies. Full on crocus and daffodil watch once the snow melts. 

Ian, what is best for an actual severe season across the country in terms of indices?

Sent from my iPhone

Not completely sure.. I think it's a bit more mixed than winter overall. During peak season in the central US you generally don't want a +PNA though. At a certain point you'll end up with the moisture needed either way so a bad flow will still cause storms in places that get a lot of storms. -NAO seems mixed.. I've heard it is good and bad. I think overall it's probably better to have a +NAO.  Mark touched on some more in his tornado outlook here: http://www.ustornadoes.com/2015/03/02/spring-2015-seasonal-tornado-outlook/

I can't even remember the last time DCA had a whole week above freezing in MOS (or actual). Got the first out of the way.

uEhmxyU.gif

I did look this up.. pretty impressive for DCA:

No streak of a week or more with no freezing temps since late December. Longest in 2015 so far is 3 days.

Not completely sure.. I think it's a bit more mixed than winter overall. During peak season in the central US you generally don't want a +PNA though. At a certain point you'll end up with the moisture needed either way so a bad flow will still cause storms in places that get a lot of storms. -NAO seems mixed.. I've heard it is good and bad. I think overall it's probably better to have a +NAO. Mark touched on some more in his tornado outlook here: http://www.ustornadoes.com/2015/03/02/spring-2015-seasonal-tornado-outlook/

Thanks, had missed that, will go read now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, had missed that, will go read now.

Sent from my iPhone

ENSO is a decent signal too. La Niña years are often weighted a bit earlier and further east. Both super outbreals occurred coming out of Nina. I think overall Nina are better years but there have been some big seasons coming out of Nino from mainly the eastern plain into Midwest. And also northern plains.

A giant lower us ridge is probably a good signal for the derecho areas to us as well. Great Lakes troughs are good for us too so whatever pattern supports that.

DC is the new midwest, just wait. What's bad for them is good for us.

If the winter pattern continues into summer one should expect constant, almost prolific storminess for this region (not so much anywhere else). Last summer didn't pan out because the -NAO in combination with the -EPO was just too much to handle. 

Last summer was definitely on the stable side due to the unseasonable airmass.

DC is the new midwest, just wait. What's bad for them is good for us.

If the winter pattern continues into summer one should expect constant, almost prolific storminess for this region (not so much anywhere else). Last summer didn't pan out because the -NAO in combination with the -EPO was just too much to handle.

Last summer was definitely on the stable side due to the unseasonable airmass.

Last summer had a +NAO. Usually, -NAO summers feature higher geopotential heights over the southern USA, usually giving us a good heat source and a westerly flow aloft. Outbreaks like July 2010 and June 2012 occurred under similar conditions.

Archived