amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Countdown to spring and summer 2015

Ian

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool/dry sounds pretty good to me.  Warm/wet is better than warm/dry I guess.  

My blind guess may have some merit. I pulled some analogs where nino 3.4 warmed from early spring through summer into a nino winter. None of these years are on the heels of a mod or strong enso event and all were + in 3.4 for MAM period. I came up with 57/63/65/72/82/91/97/02. 

Slightly below normal JJA temps

post-2035-0-85078300-1426869738_thumb.jp

Pretty dry

post-2035-0-08215800-1426869812_thumb.jp

My blind guess may have some merit. I pulled some analogs where nino 3.4 warmed from early spring through summer into a nino winter. None of these years are on the heels of a mod or strong enso event and all were + in 3.4 for MAM period. I came up with 57/63/65/72/82/91/97/02. 

Slightly below normal JJA temps

attachicon.gifjja temps.JPG

Pretty dry

attachicon.gifjja precip.JPG

Looks absolutely perfect.

BTW, what are those units of measure?  Degees?  Inches of rain?  Or standard deviations?

I like to look at QBO/Solar when making seasonal predictions w/ an ENSO basis because they've been a great predictive tool when it comes to predicting tropical forcing in the lower frequency range. This is especially true post-1998. They nailed the flip to warm late last Aug/Sep as well as the coolish June/July that preceded it.

I'm still working on the forecast for this summer, but I'm leaning towards a wet summer w/ a cooler 1st half, and a warm/hot 2nd half.

Starting to see some consistency with ensembles that we lose the anomalous repeating trough in the east and ridge west as we move into april. Looks like some flat zonal flow during the first week of april followed by possible ridging in the east as by the time we get to the second week.

Wouldn't call it a big warm signal or anything. But it looks like we may get some pleasant spring weather that lasts longer than 36-48 hours in the not too distant future. 

Starting to see some consistency with ensembles that we lose the anomalous repeating trough in the east and ridge west as we move into april. Looks like some flat zonal flow during the first week of april followed by possible ridging in the east as by the time we get to the second week.

Wouldn't call it a big warm signal or anything. But it looks like we may get some pleasant spring weather that lasts longer than 36-48 hours in the not too distant future. 

That would be perfect, if it verifies.

• 4 weeks later...

Forecast for aggregated DC area airports, mostly analog based w/ ENSO, PDO, QBO, and Solar Flux [Feb-May] as leading indicators:

June: +2.5

July: +1.0

August: -2.5

Precip: Near normal..drier to start, wetter to finish.

Expecting a warm start to the summer, with a tendency towards a stout western ridge/eastern trough beginning sometime in mid or late July.

Interesting h5 look d10-15 for the NH. Strong signal for a consolidated PV spinning right over the pole but a secondary lobe of lower heights off the tip of GL. Wavelengths looks tight with trough west/ridge middle/ flat trough east down the line. If it verifies it will either be wet around a boundary the moves around but pleasant temp wise even if dry.

Impossible to know for quite a while but keeping an eye on the PV over the arctic drifting SE over time would resemble last summer's pattern in some ways. We haven't ridged out for a long time. Eventually we will but I'm not seeing it anytime soon.

Even without ridging out, we still seem to get multiple days with highs in the lower-mid 80s just glancing at the mid-range GFS 2m temps. May should come in above average. Euro looks like it has even higher heights locally.

The height pattern supports w-nw upper level flow. I'm not worried about typical above average. I personally despise heat ridges with deep sw flow and high humidity. Even with the euro ens mean h5 height anomalies, 850 temps and wind streamlines look pretty pleasant unless it's rainy. A warm spell next week looks inevitable either way.

My WAG is there will be more SE ridging this year at least... though that's not really based on anything other than watching how stuff has played out thus far compared to last year.  I'd be surprised if it's not a hotter summer overall.. not necessarily saying a whole lot there.  I'd imagine we'll see a good deal of storms too as it seems we should stay near the battle zone of air masses -- some question whether or not the southern stream eventually gets chocked off for a while though? CFS has been advertising plenty of US ridging during the heart of summer.

Archived