• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2014-2015 Pattern Discussion Thread II

JoshM

New weather video is up online.  Nothing really fancy going on, but I think there is potential, but for who?  Let me know what y'all think 

https://www.facebook.com/41FirstAlert

Great Diss. Chris, And I think you have a good argument for what may happen in a week or two, with all that high pressure and COLD up north, You just got to believe it spreads south and east at some point in the next couple weeks (Hopefully)?

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great Diss. Chris, And I think you have a good argument for what may happen in a week or two, with all that high pressure and COLD up north, You just got to believe it spreads south and east at some point in the next couple weeks (Hopefully)?

Thank you!!  I really think we are going to have something very possible with that.  Too much cold around, should have some interesting possibilities.  

I am VERY interested to see where this could** lead.  There is some interesting signs that we have talked about for sure over the last few days/runs.  I really want to see what that energy does in the DEEP SW (old mexico) but, the GFS has been trying to have some over-running now for a run or two.  FIRST** run showing actually something, so I Want to see more consistency and really want to see the EURO show something with it as well first.  I think this ****COULD*** be on to something looking at the overall pattern. 

2vsqc5x.png

wqsi04.png

2rc0buq.png

I am VERY interested to see where this could** lead.  There is some interesting signs that we have talked about for sure over the last few days/runs.  I really want to see what that energy does in the DEEP SW (old mexico) but, the GFS has been trying to have some over-running now for a run or two.  FIRST** run showing actually something, so I Want to see more consistency and really want to see the EURO show something with it as well first.  I think this ****COULD*** be on to something looking at the overall pattern. 

Chris, That is screaming overrunning ICE for maybe at least upper SE? You know how models usually under do 2m temps in this set up! I think you may very well be sniffing things out, let's see if models don't come around to your way of thinking soon.....  

Lol 00z PARA brings the hounds...loving it. Euro should be interesting tonight considering the trends...I have a feeling if the Euro is cold there's not much many can say about an SE ridge or warmth during this time period ;)

GJs2ETz.png

The Canadian looks just as cold.  Definitely low teens for lows in NC and N SC/N GA.

A couple degrees warmer in some areas, but overall a great look.

KCAE example was 19F on Para 00z, 21F on GGEM 00z.  Not that big of a deal :P

If the Para ends up nailing this from earlier today and all the models continue following suite (besides the stubborn Euro for a cpl days), I'll have a new found respect for it.  I had been ignoring it for the most part, but now it definitely is on my model watch list past truncation on the OP GFS.

Euro much colder this run at 144hrs....my god that's some cold bottled up in Canada...this might be similar to the parallel simply by how much cold is actually able to be tapped....-36 850mb's east of the hudson and -30's NE of the lakes...widespread cold and not condensed like the 12z

168hrs: -35 850mb's south of the hudson, -30's in the CONUS at this point over the lakes. 144mb high over central US....to compare, 12z had 138mb high at 192hrs

Ridge notably more west and taller this run as well, huge difference.

Edit: comparing 192 from the 0z to 216 from the 12z, this run is an improvement but doesn't appear to give us results like the parallel, which for winter chances we probably don't want...true +PNA and colder PV was my take on this run, best looking west coast ridge (+PNA) I've seen modeled for this period, I think...

Overall, slightly colder at the surface...21 degrees at RDU on the 8th, 23 central SC.

Euro much colder this run at 144hrs....my god that's some cold bottled up in Canada...this might be similar to the parallel simply by how much cold is actually able to be tapped....-36 850mb's east of the hudson and -30's NE of the lakes...widespread cold and not condensed like the 12z

168hrs: -35 850mb's south of the hudson, -30's in the CONUS at this point over the lakes. 144mb high over central US....to compare, 12z had 138mb high at 192hrs

Ridge notably more west and taller this run as well, huge difference.

Edit: comparing 192 from the 0z to 216 from the 12z, this run is an improvement but doesn't appear to give us results like the parallel, which for winter chances we probably don't want...true +PNA and colder PV was my take on this run, best looking west coast ridge (+PNA) I've seen modeled for this period, I think...

Big differences in the north pacific day 8 between the euro and gfs

Lol 00z PARA brings the hounds...loving it. Euro should be interesting tonight considering the trends...I have a feeling if the Euro is cold there's not much many can say about an SE ridge or warmth during this time period ;)

Keep in mind the para GFS actually has a larger warm bias in the boundary layer than the regular GFS... :)

GFS-Mean-Temperature-Bias-Parallel-vs-Op

Additionally, I'll mention that even though December has appeared to underperform in the AO department for an extremely high SAI year, remember that Cohen's -AO response was primarily focused in February,

Cohen-SAI-Monthly-Process-explained.png

and January was when the stratospheric anomalies would down well into the troposphere, in the form of a sudden stratospheric warming event. For the most part thus far, everything is going to plan...

ecmwf5a12.gif

Looking at the actual data, December clearly hows the weakest -AO response in high SAI years, while February shows the most robust response w/ January not too far behind. (I defined these high SAI as those which had >+.5 standard deviation increase in the October Eurasian snow cover, (I could have used the 1 standard deviation marker, but I wanted to loosen the restrictions for the purpose of expanding the sample size)

High-SAI-DjF-N-Hem-500mb-AO-1024x359.jpg

Fantasy GFS has a major ice storm for NC/SC in the LR, FWIW....

This is what you want to see if develop for a good winter storm.  We don't have a great pattern with all of the indexes in a favorable configuration like we like to see, but we can still have snow and ice in this type of pattern.  This is way out there, but it illustrates that point.

At 276, there is a massive 1052 HP over MN, extending over to upstate NY.  There are several impulses in the southern stream moving through the deep south:

post-987-0-55448800-1420034010_thumb.gif

Things look favorable for cold air delivery all the way through 324, as the pattern evolves to this:

post-987-0-80975600-1420034054_thumb.gif

There's another precip maker with a strong HP still in the central US, extending into the NE.  This is a big winter storm.  Obviously, it won't verify.  But it shows that there are ways to bring home the bacon in the upcoming pattern.

It's always good when you have a cold Canada, as it takes just a few changes to allow the cold to be delivered into the US.  That's where we're headed...even as the ensembles spike the AO to as much as 5 SD above normal!  SAI ftw!

Lastly, here's the last CFS monthly prog for Jan.  It's better than yesterday, that's for sure:

post-987-0-15860200-1420034269_thumb.gif

Model trends looked good yesterday and last night heading into January. A blend of the para GFS and Euro might be good. Hope they keep up and things start coming together towards the middle of the month. Still a long way off, but there is plenty of time for some winter excitement.

Welcome aboard!

Only model I looked at this morning was the 6z para and it looks like big highs, one right after another with ridging holding out west from around 120 almost through the entire run.  After looking at that (and admittedly I don't know why I chose that model as I never look at it), I don't want to look at any of the others............... It might taint my optimism.

Keep in mind the para GFS actually has a larger warm bias in the boundary layer than the regular GFS... :)

[img=http://weatheradvance.com/home/weather/weatheradvance.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/GFS-Mean-Temperature-Bias-Parallel-vs-Operatio

Additionally, I'll mention that even though December has appeared to underperform in the AO department for an extremely high SAI year, remember that Cohen's -AO response was primarily focused in February,

[img=http://weatheradvance.com/home/weather/weatheradvance.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Cohen-SAI-Monthly-Process-expla

and January was when the stratospheric anomalies would down well into the troposphere, in the form of a sudden stratospheric warming event. For the most part thus far, everything is going to plan...

[img=http://users.met.fu-berlin.de/~Aktuell/strat-www/wdiag/figs/ecmwf1/

Looking at the actual data, December clearly hows the weakest -AO response in high SAI years, while February shows the most robust response w/ January not too far behind. (I defined these high SAI as those which had >+.5 standard deviation increase in the October Eurasian snow cover, (I could have used the 1 standard deviation marker, but I wanted to loosen the restrictions for the purpose of expanding the sample size)

[img=http://weatheradvance.com/home/weather/weatheradvance.com/wp-content/uplo

2005 and 2007 stick out like sore thumbs on there, but in a good way. Both had strong +AO through mid Jan then the -AO flipped after Jan 20th, but 2005 didn't dive until mid/end of Feb through mid-March. 2007 was really a good looking pattern from Jan 20th through end of Feb, but was real dry. You would think if it was more active it could have been more snowy. Encouraging looking at those winters.

Looks like we will warm back up the end of next week if the ensembles are correct. The epo ridge looks to relax so the cold air feed will be lost. Things try to reshuffle towards the end of the run with below normal heights over Cuba.

Yeah, Euro EPS Control run floods the country with warm air. Almost the entire county above zero at 850.

2005 and 2007 stick out like sore thumbs on there, but in a good way. Both had strong +AO through mid Jan then the -AO flipped after Jan 20th, but 2005 didn't dive until mid/end of Feb through mid-March. 2007 was really a good looking pattern from Jan 20th through end of Feb, but was real dry. You would think if it was more active it could have been more snowy. Encouraging looking at those winters.

2009-10 also follows 2005 & 07 w/ generally better February in the SE US & E coast (as one would expect for an El Nino), despite the fact that the winter got off to a relatively fast start... 1 NESIS snowstorm in December vs 3 in February, & all-time record (not just for February) for the lowest AO ever observed, monthly average was all the way down a mind-numbing -4.266, beating out January 1977...

20091218-20091221-3.99.jpg

20100204-20100207-4.38.jpg

20100209-20100211-4.10.jpg

20100223-20100228-5.46.jpg

The averaged AO in +ENSO winters & El Ninos exemplifies the seasonal modulation the ENSO index has on the NAM. Increasing disruption of the polar vortex/-AO/NAO state as the winter progresses. December once again, is the least favorable for yielding a -AO in this ENSO base state, February OTH, is most conducive...

AONAO-Monthly-Average-ENSOEl-Nino-1024x7

Archived