• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Ending out December with a Potential Pattern Change

CoastalWx

Oh really, it's just the da**ed weather. Christmas for some of has nothing to do with what's falling from the sky. Think I might have already mentioned it, but you can start looking forward to Russian orthodox Christmas on January 7. By then the pattern change may be in place and the ground will be white.

By the way aren't these events far enough out to be subject to some model changes--never mind reality changes?

Can someone help out with some analogs of years where a similar pattern to what we've had did a big flip? I know this gets done regularly around here but call it suicide prevention...and for the grinches who troll through how about some analogs where the ever ready bunny of GLCs never quit?

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the emergency meltdown system. This isnot a test.

Ladies and gentlemen the Director requests that you melt down in a more orderly fashion. There are 2 triage threads available to you, the dit meltdown thread or general banter. If this isn't sufficient Fella is available for one on one traumacounseling. If you are too far gone your account will e set that you can only read posts from Zeus. During this time of impending crisis please don't tap our precious forecasting resources. They are hard at work resurrecting a pattern you will find pleasing.

The only concern I have is the SE ridge at Day 10...it does appear to be progressive and that it will be pushed off the coast but the monster ridge over AK is a bit more west than you want sometimes for the East Coast...far enough it could enable a SE ridge to become a problem.  I'd have to wait til I see ensembles or beyond Day 10

This has been the pattern since just after Thanksgiving. Notice we were still coming off the nice blocking in November, but heights already lowering in the GOAK. 

post-33-0-24288000-1418846369_thumb.gif

We then see a strong GOAK trough beginning to warm NAMR the following week

post-33-0-40019700-1418846403_thumb.gif

This continues until the data stopped on 12/26.

post-33-0-10861300-1418846431_thumb.gif

And look what continues into the 21st. 

post-33-0-33060200-1418846461_thumb.png

The idea is that our typical El Nino GOAK trough got enhanced by strong MJO convection which drive a strong Pacific jet into the US. This causes a lot of rain and snow over the west coast and a pattern that featured milder wx across a good chunk of NAMR. We had HP overhead which kept us cool, but with a rather stale airmass. Of course there are fluctuations, there always will be, but  the point is, key parts to the pattern in NAMR were persistent. 

All guidance aside...the law of averages says long period of nothing will eventually lead to long period of something, that said, long periods of warm air and cutters may lead to pattern change and long periods of benchmark storms and cold highs to the north, and blocking, and guidance seems to look that way, just need to be paitient

speaking of blocking, whats the NAO looking like going forward?

can someone explain the meteorology behind that quote?

does higher thicknesses make it easier for winds to translate to the surface or more difficult

Depends upon the inversion heights.  If the winds generated by the storm are below the top of the inversion than those are the winds max, but if the highest winds are above the inversion then you will likely get weaker much weaker wind gusts.  Scott, Will someone correct me if I'm wrong?

The NAO goes negative after the 25th.  PNA stays positive throughout the rest of the month and the AO goes negative after the 25th.

I go to twisterdata.com to look at inversion heights according to the NAM and GFS models.

We may not need a -NAO...if we indeed get a pattern similar to last winter for a few weeks, which we may with the massive EPO/PNA ridge we can survive without it, we won't get a blockbuster but we may get 2-3 smaller events.

short stumpers like at the Tree lines on Mts

Yeah, trunks would definitely be shorter and fatter, although I think if it only occurred during certain storms and not all the time like on mountains (plus the cold factor there) then they would be able to still form forests.

LOL.. trying to predict outcomes on winds 7-8 days out..when we have no idea how the atmosphere will look so far out. All we need to know now is there will be some big gusts everywhere if it happens as modeled..Anything more than that impossible to tell this far out

I don't think anybody is. Nothing wrong with stating the obvious inversions these have with them.

Archived