CoastalWx

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

northern maine is a great spot

NRCC posted this the other day:

10846380_758568640896625_498903468208577

90% at CAR, 68% here, 17% BOS... etc.

Ice sucks, you know it I know it, sketchy is sketchy but I was talking about Christmas day, I know a lot of my peeps are going away this Christmas. 

Yeah I've skiied on some nasty ice and it sucked. Nothing worse to ski on.

NRCC posted this the other day:

10846380_758568640896625_498903468208577

90% at CAR, 68% here, 17% BOS... etc.

Yeah I've skiied on some nasty ice and it sucked. Nothing worse to ski on.

I hope thats a temporary thing. Christmas week is a big week and often the time many kids first experience skiing. Refreshers seem to be in store, only a short lived washout

17% at logan and that area sounds right...I have very little memory of xmas snow

I was wondering if it was a Logan thing...17% literally on the beach makes sense to me but Coastalwx is the resident expert. I could see like 17% at the ASOS out near the water and like 20-30% on the other side of Boston or something.

I was wondering if it was a Logan thing...17% literally on the beach makes sense to me but Coastalwx is the resident expert. I could see like 17% at the ASOS out near the water and like 20-30% on the other side of Boston or something.

I often laugh at the jokes made about SECT, most are based on the NL Groton Montville shoreline communities which suffer mightly from the oceans influence, like Boston just a few miles inland can be another world.

I don't buy it. BOS loses it if there are onshore winds but most December snowy months happen due to north or NNE. East winds tube me as much as it does BOS. If it were ocean influence how come climo temps aren't all that much different BOS vs say chestnut hill?

That graph looks weird. BOS only 17%? That's too low. Albany and HFD equals probs?I doubt that.  PVD better chance than BOS? Again, doubt that.

Closer to 25-28% iirc. I guess it also depends on how they got the data or if there are flaws somehow.

Yeah I don't know where the data is from, I would guess NCDC? But I don't know.

From here:

http://www.nrcc.cornell.edu/#

Yeah. I never realized how tight of a gradient it was for snowfall within Boston metro until I went to high school in North Cambridge. That area is 10mi or so northwest of my house in Southie that sits at 10 feet asl and 100 or so feet from boston harbor. Early in HS I used to take the T over. I can remember a few times getting on the train at Alewife or Porter with snow falling, then getting off at Broadway to a mix. That 25% Scott mentioned sounds right at a place like Cambridge or anywhere a little further inland.

Yeah I don't know where the data is from, I would guess NCDC? But I don't know.

From here:

http://www.nrcc.cornell.edu/#

Now data has it, calendar day summary. snow depth number of years threshold greater than 1. Happy to report the greatest occurrence of more than 6 inches of depth across SNE is on my birthday. Feb 10 th. A weenie is born

Archived