Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December 9-10 Coastal Storm Threat

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a crazy Euro run once again. The low occluded further south again. The storm lasts from hour 96-150 on this run. The whole area gets a lot of rain. As the low moves northeast and just sits and spins, the Euro throws back light snow for the majority of the area for a while as the cold air comes in. I'm ready to track this all weekend.

Unlikely in an El Nino...possible, you can get suppression sometimes which occurred for a time in 87-88, 02-03, and 09-10.

I don't see supression depression happening anytime soon, not unless the AO goes -3 + same with NAO. I do believe AO can do that in Jan Feb, once the niño pattern fully kicks in. but NAO may remain largely positive until then. The strong -QBO plus atmospheric lag for last year will keep NAO + now for most or all of December IMHO. Jan feb look more conductive for -NAO as strong -QBO in Dec usually means +NAO. If we get -NAO with strong -AO in Jan Feb then we can see suppression for sure.

Glad i wont be tracking this storm. Unless wholesale failure occurs on the EURO and it goes BM, closes off and stalls it all rain for me. Looking forward to the pattern change mid month. These storms IMO are just annoying with cold rain/wind with phantom wrararound snows

Dude it is mid month....

Get some coffee in you already.

Glad i wont be tracking this storm. Unless wholesale failure occurs on the EURO and it goes BM, closes off and stalls it all rain for me. Looking forward to the pattern change mid month. These storms IMO are just annoying with cold rain/wind with phantom wrararound snows

:lmao:  But you're in this thread.........So, you are......Personally, I maintain that any snow out here is bonus before Christmas. Therefore, a huge rainer doesn't bother me much at this juncture.

These lower latitude +EPO blocks are notorious for lows cutting off to our SW and

very little cold air around. When the blocking sets up across Southern Canada to

Newfoundland rainy coastal storms are the norm.

attachicon.gifecmwf_z500a_nhem_5.png

as long as we can get a winter storm. Our column looks cold. Also have you noticed that NAM 6z and GFS 6z have a benchmark track.

Edit: all we need is a stronger low but we don't want it tucked in like the Euro, ukmet, and cmc are depicting the system. Otherwise we'll be on the way warmer sector. We already start kinda warm but if enough instability occurs, the dynamics of the LP will make it's own cold air resulting snow. This would be ideal if the storm begins during nighttime.

as long as we can get a winter storm. Our column looks cold. Also have you noticed that NAM 6z and GFS 6z have a benchmark track.

Edit: all we need is a stronger low but we don't want it tuck in otherwise we'll be on the way warmer sector. We already start kinda warm but if enough instability occurs, the dynamics will make it's cold air resulting snow especially if this occurs at night.

Why are you even looking at the GFS when it has been the slowest model to catch on to the storm?

Don't you see the pattern here like last week where the coldest solutions are the furthest out in time

and we get warmer as we get closer. You have to look more at the lousy teleconnection pattern first

and see how this favors a wet and rather than white storm. We would have saved a lot of disappointment

last week if we just followed the teleconnections rather than the unrealistic cold solutions that

got warmer as the storm moved in. That's why pattern recognition is more important than a few 

unrealistic model runs that get your hopes up.

Why are you even looking at the GFS when it has been the slowest model to catch on to the storm?

Don't you see the pattern here like last week where the coldest solutions are the furthest out in time

and we get warmer as we get closer. You have to look more at the lousy teleconnection pattern first

and see how this favors a wet and rather than white storm. We would have saved a lot of disappointment

last week if we just followed the teleconnections rather than the unrealistic cold solutions that

got warmer as the storm moved in.

yeah but you must admit there's still a slight chance you're going to get a snowstorm on Tuesday.

yeah but you must admit there's still a slight chance you're going to get a snowstorm on Tuesday.

Not even a slight chance of a snowstorm along the coast Tuesday with those thermal profiles.

Even the colder Euro solutions a few days ago had less than an inch in NYC. Things have

come further west since then.

Not even a slight chance of a snowstorm along the coast Tuesday with those thermal profiles.

Even the colder Euro solutions a few days ago had less than an inch in NYC. Things have

come further west since then.

Indeed. For the most part, at this point in time, even where I'm located, the bulk of the event would be in the liquid form.

Yeah, there's a slight chance the world will end Tuesday also. You are currently near 50 degrees while an hour away from you I am at 35. You live next to a WARM ocean in December. All the wish casting in the world won't change that. If you want a legit chance of a real snow this time of year, you need to move. There's a slight chance you will see some backside, wrap around, decaying crud snow on Wednesday as this thing limps away.....get over it already

There are people on this forum who are delusional enough to believe they could get a snowstorm in Miami if a wave formed along an arctic front that slipped South of the Keys. They just have to hope and pray for it to be so. For all you people still living with mommy, you have been spoiled during the last several years with snow amounts that are abnormally robust. If you go back in the 50 years I have been alive, the facts are that more potential snowstorms in NYC fail to materialize then not. There are so many setups where you have to thread a needle with storm track, where 50-100 mile differences run the gammet of snow/rain/nothing. Thats before you factor in issues like enough cold air available, placements of highs, sneaky warm layers, dew point supression etc. If you get a 6 inch snofall in NYC, it basically represents 1/4 of your historical seasonal normal. If you just keep that in mind, everyone can keep this forum intelligent and readable by only hyping situations that appear to have all the parameters in place for a big event, not because you love snow and wish and pray for it.

Watching the track of the center of low pressure over the Western Atlantic throughout the model runs is one of the more bizarre things I have seen. Totally weird. 

Loop it here:

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/ETAEAST_12z/etaloop.html

this is going to cause significant beach erosion in certain coastal locations and also coastal flooding - plus the storm is probably going to become blocked under that banana high setting up to the north

Archived