Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December 9-10 Coastal Storm Threat

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How do the winds look??? Anyone think we're looking at high wind warning criteria or just advisory?

The high res Euro is showing surface winds mostly in the 15-25kt range at peak with gusts up to 50kts, especially along the coast.

I'd say wind advisory criteria for sure, with possible HWW on the immediate coast.

Hour 84 on the Euro has 35kt surface gusts back to northeast PA with 50kts+ on the south shore of Suffolk County and 40-50kts at places covering the rest of LI, NYC and northern NJ and points north.

This is an absolute beast aloft.

If this verifies, between the rain from last night, the rain today and several inches of rain on Tuesday, we might be dealing with some river flooding issues and perhaps some power outages given the saturated ground and very strong wind gusts.

Seriously, looks like us coasties'll miss this one, but the active storm track is encouraging as we step down towards a more favorable teleconnection pattern over the next few weeks. I'm confident that we'll get into the action before the month is out. Patience.

Yes because 3" of rain and gusts to 65mph is missing the storm :facepalm:

Hour 84 on the Euro has 35kt surface gusts back to northeast PA with 50kts+ on the south shore of Suffolk County and 40-50kts at places covering the rest of LI, NYC and northern NJ and points north.

This is an absolute beast aloft.

If this verifies, between the rain from last night, the rain today and several inches of rain on Tuesday, we might be dealing with some river flooding issues and perhaps some power outages given the saturated ground and very strong wind gusts.

My street is already flooded from an inch+ of rain and all the leaves in the street which aren't being picked up for 10 more days. If we get 2-3" more its going to be even worse by Wednesday.

My street is already flooded from an inch+ of rain and all the leaves in the street which aren't being picked up for 10 more days. If we get 2-3" more its going to be even worse by Wednesday.

From the NWS: IF THE EC`S SOLN DOES VERIFY...THERE IS THE POTENTIAL FOR 1.25

INCH PWATS RESULTING IN A PERIOD OF HEAVY RAINFALL. WPC HAS PLACED

MUCH OF THE TRI-STATE AREA IN AN EXCESSIVE RAIN OUTLOOK.

ADDITIONALLY...IF THE HEAVY RAIN COINCIDES WITH HIGH TIDE...THE

SITUATION WILL BE EXACERBATED. SEE HYDRO AND COASTAL FLOODING

SECTIONS BELOW FOR MORE INFO ON QPF AMOUNTS AND IMPACTS.

The high res Euro is showing surface winds mostly in the 15-25kt range at peak with gusts up to 50kts, especially along the coast.

I'd say wind advisory criteria for sure, with possible HWW on the immediate coast.

From the NWS:...WIND ADVSY IS POSSIBLE IF WE CAN MIX HIGHER WINDS DOWN BUT IT`S

TOUGH ON A SLY FLOW UNLESS IT GETS FAIRLY WARM AT THE SFC. BEST

CHC LOOKS LIKE EASTERN COASTAL ZONES...BUT TOO MUCH UNCERTAINTY IN

THE SCENARIO OVERALL TO DETERMINE THIS NOW. LOW LOOKS TOO WEAK TO

REACH IT ON SUSTAINED WINDS.

the highest  winds with this storm are going to be on the east and north side of it over long island and CT and the lower hudson valley if the current track holds this is very similar to a tropical system coming in from that direction but this is non tropical - also after the intial rain here -  there should be a huge dry slot right over the metro at some point with the heavy precip more inland. Then as the storm begins to track north - northeast the winds will pick up here from a more northwest direction - but the main issue here is timing and how long if at all the storm stalls under that banana HP to the north...........

the highest winds with this storm are going to be on the east and north side of it over long island and CT and the lower hudson valley if the current track holds this is very similar to a tropical system coming in from that direction but this is non tropical - also after the intial rain here - there should be a huge dry slot right over the metro at some point with the heavy precip more inland. Then as the storm begins to track north - northeast the winds will pick up here from a more northwest direction - but the main issue here is timing and how long if at all the storm stalls under that banana HP to the north...........

Look at the Euro wind progs and get back to me

Easy there slugger. My post was clearly in reference to Dave-LI's 'in-the-game' and Pfl's witty boatloads-of-rain response to it. What I meant was that we miss the wintry precip this go around, but that the future looks bright going forward.

Look at the Euro wind progs and get back to me

this from Uptons AFD this afternoon Clyde -

WIND ADVSY IS POSSIBLE IF WE CAN MIX HIGHER WINDS DOWN BUT IT'S  

TOUGH ON A SLY FLOW UNLESS IT GETS FAIRLY WARM AT THE SFC. BEST  

CHC LOOKS LIKE EASTERN COASTAL ZONES..

Archived