• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
December 9-10 Coastal Storm Threat

Zelocita Weather

this storm has no where to go once it reaches the metro lat blocked by strong HP to the north - also there is cold air available later in the period coming from that big high to the northwest in southern canada and the NAM in its out of range hours is stalling the storm east of the metro and the storm is grabbing this cold air and we change to snow by wednesday - have to see if this trend continues in future model runs and how much precip is left as it is spinning itself out just east of here

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Long time lurker and weather hobbyist. I just wanted to ask ..... I know in the past generally I've always read that you need a strong system to start a pattern change. Could this be the storm that can jump start that pattern change to a colder and snowier pattern for the nyc and Long Island area ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Long time lurker and weather hobbyist. I just wanted to ask ..... I know in the past generally I've always read that you need a strong system to start a pattern change. Could this be the storm that can jump start that pattern change to a colder and snowier pattern for the nyc and Long Island area ?

Sent from my iPhone

No, the system that may do that will be the one that may cut into the Lakes next week might do that...the GFS is already starting to delay that pattern change though...at the same time however its muting the torch we thought we would have.  Generally systems that impact our area change the pattern from cold to warm more often than not...its the systems that cut into the Lakes or Midwest that tend to flip the East from a mild to cold pattern.  My guess is its going to be closer to 12/25-12/28 til we really see this thing go balls to the wall cold and snowy for the East. 

Anybody in our area looking for more than some snow showers is going to be wildly disappointed. The main show with this storm will be the rain/wind... especially on the NJ Coast and Long Island...and the very heavy rain elsewhere. Those are prolific rainfall amounts possible underneath the peaking dynamics Tuesday afternoon. 

With regards to wrap around snows reaching the coastal plain, as a general rule, when the cyclone takes the typical Hatteras to the Benchmark to the Gulf of Maine track...the wrap around effect is usually very limited or non existent as the winds quickly back to the northwest...perpendicular to the Appalachians...and utterly perfect for downsloping & compressional warming & drying. 

However, when the low takes a more westerly track...say from the Virginia Capes to the New York Bight to somewhere over New England...I'd argue that chances for some wrap around snow shower activity right down to the coastal plain are a good deal better.  That's because the surface flow is likely to be more westerly or even west southwesterly in such a situation...and compressional warming is not as effective...allowing a good deal more low & mid level moisture to linger over the region. 

Anybody in our area looking for more than some snow showers is going to be wildly disappointed. The main show with this storm will be the rain/wind... especially on the NJ Coast and Long Island...and the very heavy rain elsewhere. Those are prolific rainfall amounts possible underneath the peaking dynamics Tuesday afternoon.

How does far NW nj do with any snow.

this storm has no where to go once it reaches the metro lat blocked by strong HP to the north - also there is cold air available later in the period coming from that big high to the northwest in southern canada and the NAM in its out of range hours is stalling the storm east of the metro and the storm is grabbing this cold air and we change to snow by wednesday - have to see if this trend continues in future model runs and how much precip is left as it is spinning itself out just east of here

A stalled system (at least for a short period of time) which has happened before.  I was amused by the NWS using the word "dancing" in their forecast discussion concerning the evolution of this upcoming storm threat.  Challenging to ascertain overall rain or snow and where it rains the most and snows the most especially in NYC, Long Island for this longer termed event.  Who knows, maybe there will be a 1" Central Park winner sooner than later this month.  Personally, I doubt it.

The Euro has 65-70kt winds at 925mb over the south shore of Long Island at 18z Tuesday.

Wow that's incredible, if that verifies the wind combined with the saturated ground would probably cause a good amount of power outages. How much has fallen by the time the strongest winds get going?

Archived