joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 9-10 Coastal Storm Threat

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro has the low retrogading right into the NYC area with a lot of rain for the coast and a lot of snow for inland areas. Low occludes at 117 hours and it might be snow for a lot of PA and NJ lol. Crazy solution. I would like to see this occlude further east so everyone can get into it. Long ways to go for this one.

This storm keeps getting pushed back - Still over 4 days out.  In this case, it looks too warm for everyone, even though its a close call further NW you go.. Boundary layer looks torched however.  Marginal amount of cold air to work with and that cold High is marching east too quickly to lock in any cold air.

i am sure that this evolution is just one of many we will see in the next 3 days.

Euro has the low retrogading right into the NYC area with a lot of rain for the coast and a lot of snow for inland areas. Low occludes at 117 hours and it might be snow for a lot of PA and NJ lol. Crazy solution. I would like to see this occlude further east so everyone can get into it. Long ways to go for this one.

We're getting very little run to run continuity regarding the critical features on the Euro. How quickly and where the H5 low closes off makes a huge difference.

yes and no - devil is always in the details of course- but the basic idea is pretty clear. UKMET and Euro agreement (for the most part) is tough to go against - big interior snowstorm, big rainstorm, with potential for a little mix at the end for NJ/NYC/LI

yes and no - devil is always in the details of course- but the basic idea is pretty clear. UKMET and Euro agreement (for the most part) is tough to go against - big interior snowstorm, big rainstorm, with potential for a little mix at the end for NJ/NYC/LI

They aren't in agreement at all. Ukie doesn't have the low retrogading like the Euro. Many days to go and more solutions to come. Just a few miles east will help the coast.

They aren't in agreement at all. Ukie doesn't have the low retrogading like the Euro. Many days to go and more solutions to come. Just a few miles east will help the coast.

Sorry but if you think you're gonna get a snowstorm in NYC with this set-up and storm, you are going to be terribly dissapointed. Could you see a few flakes at some point - of course - but this is not anywhere close to what you need for accumulating snows in and around NYC

Sorry but if you think you're gonna get a snowstorm in NYC with this set-up and storm, you are going to be terribly dissapointed. Could you see a few flakes at some point - of course - but this is not anywhere close to what you need for accumulating snows in and around NYC

its not the final outcome if u have this storm go 75 miles east you will have a snow event even for the city

This retrograding beast of a solution is what we want, so we can get a CCB with NW winds. This is why I don't think the 2/26/10 scenarios were absurd. 

It would be nice if the storm took a bit of a wider turn so that it could initially be a bit further north to tap into the cold air, and it would also give more time for the northern stream energy to blast southeastward, so that we can close this thing off a bit further east. Then when the storm retrogrades SW, we are in the CCB instead of areas to the west.

Given the trends with the northern stream energy being more amplified and racing southeastward, you really never know. 

This retrograding beast of a solution is what we want, so we can get a CCB with NW winds. This is why I don't think the 2/26/10 scenarios were absurd. 

It would be nice if the storm took a bit of a wider turn so that it could initially be a bit further north to tap into the cold air, and it would also give more time for the northern stream energy to blast southeastward, so that we can close this thing off a bit further east. Then when the storm retrogrades SW, we are in the CCB instead of areas to the west.

Given the trends with the northern stream energy being more amplified and racing southeastward, you really never know. 

The Euro phases in a true piece of northern stream energy, it sweeps in from Canada and through the Great Lakes with the upper level low then closing off at 111 hours. But now you have northern stream energy involved. The upper level height field itself will obviously buckle as a result of that phase, but more importantly you're working a different airmass in to the storm. 

The entire height field shifts as the surface low tucks northwestward also in response to the mid level jet orientation..so you can get true CCB snows on the southwest side of a storm in that situation. It's less wraparound and more of a true cold conveyor belt. 

The BL stays warm on the Euro into Wednesday when the surface freeze line

gets pushed into Vermont and Canada. A ton of front end WAA off the Atlantic.

Big heavy rain threat with strong winds with the squeeze between 1040 HP

to the north.

The CCB actually does snow on parts of Southeast PA and the Mid Atlantic, though. The high resolution Euro confirms it. And the H5 and mid level evolution argues for it as well. That's taking this run verbatim, obviously. 

The CCB actually does snow on parts of Southeast PA and the Mid Atlantic, though. The high resolution Euro confirms it. And the H5 and mid level evolution argues for it as well. That's taking this run verbatim, obviously. 

Yeah there is no doubt this storm has potential to shaft Boston and give snow to NYC, PHL or DCA

Yeah there is no doubt this storm has potential to shaft Boston and give snow to NYC, PHL or DCA

I don't think it's very likely. In my experience, these type of evolution's can be charted under the "extreme" category and, in fact, I've only seen them occur during very impressive blocking periods. Feb 2010, as an example, occurred during a -4 AO (rough estimate, I could be slightly off on that one). 

But I won't go as far as saying that this evolution on the Euro is impossible. We do have a very well timed, anomalous trough swinging through Eastern Canada. So while we may not have an impressive ridge or high latitude block, if timed well that trough could serve a purpose to slow things down. 

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/ENSHGTAVGNH_12z/f72.gif

Archived