• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 9-10 Coastal Storm Threat

Zelocita Weather

PB, lows always weaken after they become vertically stacked and fill. The key is getting the occlusion to occur in a favorable position.

I just meant that run verbatim .If you go from Islip to Trenton and you slot at 40 . Hard to see anything but showery type stuff swinging through

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just don't see CCB in the offing here . As the system retrogrades from Islip 988 to Trenton 993 it weakens  .The best lifting is through New England at this time .

What you are seeing on the Euro in EPA is upsloping  and as the whole system comes back E off AC that precip downslopes and dries out .

The BL is close to 40 and you barely cool the mid levels . Dynamic cooling is not present here which we usually see in CCB set ups. The system aloft is weakening I don't see the evolution here going back to snow based on that run . 

Just my take .

I don't agree. You can't upslope precip in E PA with NW winds at the surface and northerly winds at 850mb. The precip doesn't make it further east because we are in a mid-level dry-slot from the low occluding too far west. 

That precip is from the CCB, IMO. 

I don't agree. You can't upslope precip in E PA with NW winds at the surface and northerly winds at 850mb. The precip doesn't make it further east because we are in a mid-level dry-slot from the low occluding too far west. 

That precip is from the CCB, IMO. 

I should have been more clear . I was talking the track verbatim .  Islip to Trenton slot us . Then what`s left dries out

Yeah, that I agree with. But the CCB is shown in E PA and parts of the Mid Atlantic.

Doug the way I looked at was at 114 988 going into Islip the best lifting is into NEPA and SENY. Then as it turns SE it drags the precip with it weakening at 114 heading into SEPA .( and looking like CCB )

I didn`t look at it as CCB but as drying out precip coming SE as it headed S then Dries as it came E .

The CCB was definitely there, it was just too far west because the 500mb low closed off a bit too far NW and the surface low occluded too far west. If that stuff happens further east, we get in the CCB. That's still asking for a lot, of course, but it's not impossible. 

I completely agree. 

I might also add that this deliberation, while intriguing, is likely to be academic as the exact placement of these features wobble around over the next few days.

That said, having the Euro with such a strong retro low signal makes me take that idea more seriously ... given that it has a history of getting the evolution of such features correct at large lead times.

I'm excited to have a big QPF maker to track and I'm comfortable letting the chips (the CCB) fall where they may.  It probably won't be my backyard, but it's not impossible.

Also, the mountains in NNE look to be in upslope heaven for several days!

I might also add that this deliberation, while intriguing, is likely to be academic as the exact placement of these features wobble around over the next few days.

That said, having the Euro with such a strong retro low signal makes me take that idea more seriously ... given that it has a history of getting the evolution of such features correct at large lead times.

I'm excited to have a big QPF maker to track and I'm comfortable letting the chips (the CCB) fall where they may. It probably won't be my backyard, but it's not impossible.

Agreed as im expecting nothing with this storm as well. However, some promising changes on the models the past couple days regarding a more favorable pattern for cold and snow on the EC

I'm excited to have a big QPF maker to track and I'm comfortable letting the chips (the CCB) fall where they may.  It probably won't be my backyard, but it's not impossible.

Specifically what days are you referring to? I am currently up in Lake Placid until Tuesday doing some skiing at whiteface.

Agreed as im expecting nothing with this storm as well. However, some promising changes on the models the past couple days regarding a more favorable pattern for cold and snow on the EC

its too early to call anything off. It's literally 4 days away. That track is not set in stone but it's intensity is becoming more clear. Also the GFS is just a bad model IMO. It seems to me that the GFS is much better with northern stream systems than of southern stream setups and phasing. Id say by Sunday 12z runs we can conclude the final outcome for now we can only speculate this would be a rainstorm for your backyard and mine in the Bronx. I wonder what the Euro ensembles show if they tick east that'll be a very good sign. I still think last night's euro run is more possible that what the euro showed this afternoon. What is bringing the low on top of Atlantic city? I see this going right through the twin forks and not really making that loop similar to superstorm Sandy. Still plenty of time for u in Long Island. You would need a good 150 miles east of where the Euro 12z depicted it to happen, I need half of that for me to see at least some snow. Fun to track, many sleepless nights coming for you and I but it's okay because this is our passion and no one can take that away from us!

Specifically what days are you referring to? I am currently up in Lake Placid until Tuesday doing some skiing at whiteface.

Whiteface isn't a particularly favored place for upslope snow. Head over to Stowe or Jay Peak and you can thank me by posting pictures of face shots.

Oh yea in a CCB wraparound it is intense but VERY rare for me as the last time i experienced it was 12/25/02, hence why i pretty much put zero hope into it during any EC snow storm

For educational purposes:  CCB=Cold Conveyor Belt.  Wrap around snows occur with wind shift to northwest and colder air filtering with coastal low tracking northeast past your area.

http://apollo.lsc.vs...d_conveyor.html

Euro ensemble mean is colder and east.

You cannot use an ensemble mean in this situation because there is way too much variance between solutions. A mean will bring you an ideal situation with a broad MSLP near the benchmark and a cold 850mb temperature. But the individual solutions are more volatile. When you average out a 51 member ensemble, you're looking for consistency in track and intensity...not specifics. 

Archived