Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Dec 9-10 storm threat

ORH_wxman

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is that off the table now for the rest of the area?

The pre storm stuff? I think they'll be some spreading west as the warmer air aloft moves in. It might be like snizzle/FZDZ for you? I predict 84 to close Tuesday morning in Tolland.

Besides I may only be lucky to get a coating, maybe a narrow area does better. The inversion heights are real low which prohibits a decent event.

SOS? Stalling of storm?

Sultan of sandbags. This term was brought about by our very own Ginxy who screamed and yelled to the powers that be of the NWS to put up flood warnings for the Pawcatuck river in SW RI. Now, thanks to Steve's work....all 13 people who live there have their lives safe at hand thanks to our very own Sultan of Sandbags. Ginxy.

Sultan of sandbags. This term was brought about by our very own Ginxy who screamed and yelled to the powers that be of the NWS to put up flood warnings for the Pawcatuck river in SW RI. Now, thanks to Steve's work....all 13 people who live there have their lives safe at hand thanks to our very own Sultan of Sandbags. Ginxy.

post-33-0-69182800-1335129317.jpg

I looked it up. I got 12.0" and Ashburnham and Gardner got 16

You actually are talking about 2 seperate systems...the 2/24 system preceding it was sort of seperate though for some weird reason, NESIS classified them as the same storm. I got 11 inches in that part 1, then rain....then the main retro storm gave us mostly rain, but when it occluded on the 26th or 27th, you over to Royalston/Templeton/Westminster/Gardner got this band of heavy snow which gave you all 8-10" while I missed it and only got 2-3".

I imagine a smidge further east would have the safe effect.  I suspect that the Oneonta area will be the big winner.

I live at 1650 feet, about 20 miles north of Oneonta.  We have been big time losers for the last few years but I have to admit I am starting to let my hopes go up about this one.

Very interesting! Thank you for the story. I was thinking it was a Meteorological term abbreviated lol.

You actually are talking about 2 seperate systems...the 2/24 system preceding it was sort of seperate though for some weird reason, NESIS classified them as the same storm. I got 11 inches in that part 1, then rain....then the main retro storm gave us mostly rain, but when it occluded on the 26th or 27th, you over to Royalston/Templeton/Westminster/Gardner got this band of heavy snow which gave you all 8-10" while I missed it and only got 2-3".

The PNS for Hubb for 2/25 at 10AM was 12" then it rained a ton. We stupidly tried to ski in cement. The 27th was amazing though. I got 10" in that if fluff and a neighbor got 12" a mile away

I don't recall it being a sep system on 2/24. Gotta dig thru easternuswx

The PNS for Hubb for 2/25 at 10AM was 12" then it rained a ton. We stupidly tried to ski in cement. The 27th was amazing though. I got 10" in that if fluff and a neighbor got 12" a mile away

Yep, the two systems were seperate...but the lull between them wasn't all that long, so its easy to remember the whole thing as one event that took 3-4 days. You can clearly see the two distinct systems on the NA Reanalysis maps. The main storm didn't even start until later in the day on 2/25...so the PNS issued on 2/25 is for the previous event.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/box/pnsevents/Feb_23-24_2010/Feb_23-24_2010_BOXPNS.txt

And actually, if you go to the BOX page, the two events are seperate on their Feb 2010 calandar:

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/box/pnsevents/wxeventsCalendar.php?month=2&year=2010

Then winter died abruptly.  But it took almost the whole month of March to melt all my snow, despite lots of very balmy days.

Though I did get a freak inch of snow on May 8th...

lol but you might want to check those populations numbers, have you ever left your city and gone anywhere besides Moms basement at the lake?

It's Sunday and no body really knows how this plays out in 2 days. That's how unusual it is. Remember this? way before these national Mets started throwing out 1992 we threw that type of atmosphere scenario out on the table here at AMWX 5 days ago.

Yea I am thinking of the dynamics.lol

Pete got around 30 inches I believe.....use that as somewhat of a reference for MPM.

Pete's locale is much more of a jack pot zone than MPM for whatever reasons. 20 mi W of MPM in Savoy is where you would want to be.

Ohh ok, yeah he southwest some...he just told me got 31 so I was close. :)

Was this the one that had snow in NYC and rain in Boston?  I remember a knee-deeper+ storm (I like that term) that killed this area.  Maybe that's the one.

Pete does much better than here.  He's about 20 miles SW of me.  I'm just west of the valley, and 1000' ain't that much elevation.

Archived