joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Forecast Discussion

REDMK6GLI

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems both the GFS and GGEM are sniffing out an Eastward trend. I believe Snowgoose called it when he said the low pressure system was too far west.

I would be surprised if this ends up east of us...even if it did the GL low would torch the mid-levels anyhow...I think a track over IL or MI though may be too far west...it may be over us or near PIT.

What a big storm for Christmas Eve on the GFS. Look at all of the cold air behind the storm. That's the change that we have been waiting for. Possible snow squalls on Christmas Day?

Wasn't there a XMAS about 10-12 years ago that had shortlived, but blizzard like conditions for 3 hours on XMAS afternoon, say 5" in 3hrs.?

12z UKMET looks like it would probably be a cutter

The storm being a cutter already seems like a likely conclusion. The question will be how strong it becomes and whether the low is more toward the lake or closer to our area. Another caveat is exactly how it shuffles the pattern.

I think it's way too soon to make an assumption about that. We're not even completely sure how the 21st system is going to end up, or if the trailing vort ends up blowing up into a big storm.

Is there a reason that cutters always seem to be a lock from the first time they show up on the models? This isn't always the case but I just feel like it happens more often than not

Its not. Bluewave explained it well earlier...anything to our west is a "cutter", so we dont notice the models moving back and forth, as there are literally hundreds of miles where it can miss and still be a cutter to us. We only notice the minute differences when 30 miles means everything here.

Is there a reason that cutters always seem to be a lock from the first time they show up on the models? This isn't always the case but I just feel like it happens more often than not

for a snowstorm to work out we need a fairly specific low track... for a cutter to work out it just needs to be west of us

Its not. Bluewave explained it well earlier...anything to our west is a "cutter", so we dont notice the models moving back and forth, as there are literally hundreds of miles where it can miss and still be a cutter to us. We only notice the minute differences when 30 miles means everything here.

for a snowstorm to work out we need a fairly specific low track... for a cutter to work out it just needs to be west of us

Ah I see. Thanks fellas

Archived