joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October Banter

jburns

• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recently bought a Taylor 814 acoustic guitar. I know there are some guitar players here. I can play a bit, but I'm not good by any stretch. Are there any good online resources that anyone can recommend for practicing and learning? I've got chord sheets and know some of the more popular chord shapes, but I don't have a good method for practicing and don't know the best approach for getting better. If anyone has any recommendations, I'd appreciate it!

Wow that's a good guitar especially for someone who doesn't play much. I own around 19 guitars :guitar: . My pride and joy is an early 1970 Martin D-35 with a Brazilian Rosewood back. I love using Chordify for playing along with songs. Google it, it's very cool. The best way to get better at guitar is to play with others. Bring your guitar to the GTG and I'll bring mine. We can have a jam session. 

Wow that's a good guitar especially for someone who doesn't play much. I own around 19 guitars :guitar: . My pride and joy is an early 1970 Martin D-35 with a Brazilian Rosewood back. I love using Chordify for playing along with songs. Google it, it's very cool. The best way to get better at guitar is to play with others. Bring your guitar to the GTG and I'll bring mine. We can have a jam session.

My dad has a 1969 Martin (I believe also a D-35). His is Brazilian Rosewood also. It sounds really good. He also has a 1963 Stratocaster. That's worth a lot of $$.

I had a cheapo Yamaha that was hard to play and buzzed and required retuning every time I wanted to play it. So I kept going by a local guitar shop and playing different guitars. I played lots of them, but this one really stood out. It sounds amazing. Unfortunately, all I can do at this point is chord and strum....primarily with basic chords. I'm very much a beginner and would probably annoy the crap out of you. Lol! I figured that if I spent a little money and got a nice instrument, I'd be more inclined to want to play it and practice. So far, that's been correct. I love it. Anyway, I'll bet your '70 Martin sounds awesome!

As far as the GTG, I was gonna ask Grit where we should meet. Don't know what time everyone is planning on arriving, but we should get some food before seeing D&D, probably. I need to figure out the best hotel to stay at in proximity to food and movies and whatever else is around there.

My dad has a 1969 Martin (I believe also a D-35). His is Brazilian Rosewood also. It sounds really good. He also has a 1963 Stratocaster. That's worth a lot of $$.

I had a cheapo Yamaha that was hard to play and buzzed and required retuning every time I wanted to play it. So I kept going by a local guitar shop and playing different guitars. I played lots of them, but this one really stood out. It sounds amazing. Unfortunately, all I can do at this point is chord and strum....primarily with basic chords. I'm very much a beginner and would probably annoy the crap out of you. Lol! I figured that if I spent a little money and got a nice instrument, I'd be more inclined to want to play it and practice. So far, that's been correct. I love it. Anyway, I'll bet your '70 Martin sounds awesome!

As far as the GTG, I was gonna ask Grit where we should meet. Don't know what time everyone is planning on arriving, but we should get some food before seeing D&D, probably. I need to figure out the best hotel to stay at in proximity to food and movies and whatever else is around there.

Go for the big time, stay at the great wolf lodge, it's right across 85 from concord mills mall! :)

- I have and estaban acoustic guitar, deal with that!

Yea that Strat is probably worth around $10k or so. A D-35 has a three piece back while a D-28 has a two piece back. Typically the D-28 commands more money as less were made during the 60's. They went to the three piece back to save money and get more out of their wood since they didn't have to do exact book matching on the back. Even that 69 is probably worth $3k-$4k on today's market and it's only going up! 

I'll say this about my Martin it has that classic acoustic guitar sound like you hear on country albums. Due to it being a hybrid with a mix of woods it has a unique bass resonance. I've always like the sound and feel of Taylor guitars just never liked their headstocks as odd as that is. My electric of choice is a first year G&L ASAT which is a Tele copy, the cool thing is that it was made when Leo Fender was making them and inspecting each one by hand. You can really tell it too as it's just a super well made instrument. 

As for playing, it's only annoying when someone is playing and you can tell they are an egomaniac. Beginners never bother me. Hell I have some friends who are amazing at guitar and one of them told me I was a camp fire guitarist cause I like to stick to chords and simple melodies. I'm very much a rhythm guy as opposed to lead. 

In other news... Metals extended extended family-- TV show Honey Boo Boo has been canceled.

Apparently his great great Aunt June has been in a relationship with a child molester. Im guessing Sugar Bear?! 

NEW YORK (AP) -- The TLC network says it is canceling "Here Comes Honey Boo Boo," its colorful series about a young beauty pageant contestant and her family.
TLC would not explain why the series was being shelved. But this week TMZ reported that the girl's mother, June Shannon, was in a relationship with a man who was convicted of child molestation.
In a statement, TLC said that "supporting the health and welfare of these remarkable children is our only priority."
Filming had been completed for a new season of the series that was set to begin airing before the end of the year. The series created an immediate sensation upon its debut two years ago, but its ratings had quickly faded.

I for one am glad they stopped that dumb show. Sorry Metal.

Archived