joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
September Discusssion--winter bound or bust

moneypitmike

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well then I guess NERFC..a Gov't agency is lying then. I'm sorry I posted false gov't information

Weird, I'm quoting NWS COOP numbers. Must be lies.

The NERFC says right there, "nearly" 5 inches below normal not 5-6". And it's 90 days from 9/12, which leaves out a very dry first two weeks of June for other parts of the region. That map might look completely different if it was 6/1 through 9/12, or 6/1 through 8/31.

What's really hurting areas around here as far as the top soil goes, is the virtual nothingness here since July 4th. Having little rain at the time of year when the sun is baking things is bad for plants and grass etc. June was dry, but we got drinks here and there and then luckily a good soaking on July 4th. Since then, not much.

What's really hurting areas around here as far as the top soil goes, is the virtual nothingness here since July 4th. Having little rain at the time of year when the sun is baking things is bad for plants and grass etc. June was dry, but we got drinks here and there and then luckily a good soaking on July 4th. Since then, not much.

What'd you get yesterday?

How does an enthusiast like you not have just a standard rain gauge sitting outside?

I literally have nowhere to put it without being effected by a tree somewhere. I would have to mount a random pole in my front yard which would look completely dumb. I might just get an old fashioned gauge and stuck it in the ground there, but any windy storm may blow water off the trees into it. I may take down a tree in the next few years which will help. I'm going to get a Davis sometime in the next year or so hopefully.

I literally have nowhere to put it without being effected by a tree somewhere. I would have to mount a random pole in my front yard which would look completely dumb. I might just get an old fashioned gauge and stuck it in the ground there, but any windy storm may blow water off the trees into it. I may take down a tree in the next few years which will help. I'm going to get a Davis sometime in the next year or so hopefully.

Ahhh makes sense. Must have some CoCoRAHS stations nearby or something to get a good idea of rain anyway.

Ahhh makes sense. Must have some CoCoRAHS stations nearby or something to get a good idea of rain anyway.

Yeah there are. I have a pretty good idea anyways plus the dual polar precip estimate is really good. I have a thermometer that would give Dendrite a stroke if he saw where it's located, but all I care about really, are the temps in winter.

I have a thermometer that would give Dendrite a stroke if he saw where it's located, but all I care about really, are the temps in winter.

lol my thermometer is similar...it's great on cloudy days and at night but too exposed to sunshine, which is why I usually just quote the MVL temps a a few miles in the same elevation band.

Archived