• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE/Okle: Banter/Non Storm OBS thread

The cold this February and where we look to be at the end of the month is unbelievable. I honestly didn't think a winter month this cold was something I ever would see again in my life time due to climate change/warming. Thought 1994 and the 70's winters were a level that could not be reached again. Of course 2014 was on the same level of cold as those other winters but this one has it beat.

NYC is going to finish near -10F departure for the month or colder?

This is the data from my station.  The mean temp so far this month is 25.2F.  Last Feb was 31.5F.    

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was reading the mid-atlantic subforun thread on this weekend storm and saw a few posters posting one of my preferences. I love to have huge storms but I get sort of pissed when they occur at night and the only thing I get from it is the work clearing it out the following day. I use a spotlight to see the snow intensity but its not the same as seeing it during the day. I would rather get a 4-6" snow during the day than over a foot at night. AS long as the ground is covered the results look similar. I was wondering how many people feel the same way.

I was reading the mid-atlantic subforun thread on this weekend storm and saw a few posters posting one of my preferences. I love to have huge storms but I get sort of pissed when they occur at night and the only thing I get from it is the work clearing it out the following day. I use a spotlight to see the snow intensity but its not the same as seeing it during the day. I would rather get a 4-6" snow during the day than over a foot at night. AS long as the ground is covered the results look similar. I was wondering how many people feel the same way.

I kind of agree, as I do love watching snow fall and it's easier to watch during the day.

However, one of my favorite snow-watching experiences was the Feb 2006 storm which occurred overnight.  I stayed up all night to watch it and was rewarded with 5 or 6 separate episodes of thundersnow - several of which happened while I was looking outside.  Very cool to see lightning at night during a snowstorm!

P.S. It also happened twice during the late January 2011 evening snow-blitz.

I'm a night snow guy 90% of the time unless the day snow is with temps in the low-mid 20's or less. (this time of year) Nothing more frustrating than day snow not sticking to paved surfaces where night snow there is a much better chance. Grass/car-roof top accumulations aren't very fulfilling and I literally don't care once March is here.

* Was behind a "brine truck" this morning. Mainly spraying inclines/declines which makes sense. My car couldn't look more ghetto...practically white although the original color is silver/gray. Same goes w/the floor mats.. 

I like heavy snow, so I'd choose 12" at night over 4 to 6" during the day if I had to pick one. I do enjoy both though, and it is nice to see snow falling during the day (like last Saturday for a couple of hours). It's all good as they say :-).

I like heavy snow, so I'd choose 12" at night over 4 to 6" during the day if I had to pick one. I do enjoy both though, and it is nice to see snow falling during the day (like last Saturday for a couple of hours). It's all good as they say :-).

For me the thrill comes from seeing the intense snow. When I used to live where there were a lot of street or parking lot lights nighttime snow was pretty amazing.

I'll tell you when this place gets a bigger storm than our area, it may be time to move lol.

A heavy snowstorm has shut down roads leading in and out of Jerusalem and blanketed Israel's desert with a rare layer of white.

Snow also landed Friday in parts of the West Bank as a cold front swept through the Middle East. In Gaza, heavy rains that started on Thursday have been forecast for the rest of the week.

Jerusalem municipality spokeswoman Brachie Sprung says 10 inches have already been dumped on the city, with 4 inches more expected later in the day.

Desert towns of Beersheba, Dimona and Yerucham were sprinkled with white and residents of Arad proudly showed off a snowman. (AP)

For me the thrill comes from seeing the intense snow. When I used to live where there were a lot of street or parking lot lights nighttime snow was pretty amazing.

Yeah, that's where the effect is almost as good as a daytime heavy snow, especially with the wind blowing, waves/ripples of snow in the street lights, snow blowing horizontally - nice!

Okay, outside a minute ago.  No doubt reaching warning criteria.  Accumulation now up to 5 inch level.  The sidewalk and road surfaces are frozen.  Barely any melting going on.  We have a huge problem tonight when that snow changes over to rain.  Pretty good bet for some icing.  Definitely not good to be driving around and especially tonight.. 

By the way, I answered the other day that I'd take the 12" at night if I had to choose, since I like heavy/deep snow. Just wanted to let you know that today was also very enjoyable - nice to see it snowing in the daylight, especially on a weekend :-).

I would rather get a 4-6" snow during the day than over a foot at night. AS long as the ground is covered the results look similar. I was wondering how many people feel the same way.

Make it 8", and I'm with you.  Also, snow falling at night is OK in a well-lit city or city park.  No fun watching it fall by flashlight.

With the temps to date and the forecast for the next 6 days just how far below normal does Feb project to be?

Its a bit hard to calculate because there are gonna be a few midnight highs/lows, but looks like it will be more than 10 below normal and quite possibly among the 5 coldest February's on record.

Archived