Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE/Okle: Banter/Non Storm OBS thread

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the delaware is running low and is pretty much completely ice covered in the Trenton area. Would not be surprised to see some ice jams later this week, definitely something to watch. Last years ice jam was one of the coolest meteolroogical events I've ever seen, helps enjoy when there was no damage though to property. here is a pic after it had broke and we got some rain, had a layer of fog hanging over the river, was unlike anything i've ever seen.

post-135-0-67600200-1424227633_thumb.jpg

If we can get one good snowstorm this winter (6+) before it's all set and done, I will be content. Running out of time though.

It's upsetting we haven't had anything over 5 inches in Montco

Conversely I'm feeling pretty good having finally gotten a 4" snowfall here. The somewhat of a downer to me is seeing the models trending towards a big rain on Sunday which would no doubt wash most of it away if it verifies. An area wide 6 incher would be great, even better if it could add to our snowpack before the inevitable thawing/melting.

KMIV is a radiating machine and with 6" fresh snow they really give it up.  They have that Pine Barrens "desert-effect" where daytime highs can soar and nighttime lows dip fast.  Just far enough from ocean and bay too.  KWWD hit 10F just before midnight, but really the temperature bounced around quite a lot and averaged 15F or so for the morning hours.  It is wild how we can differ so much in a short distance.

KMIV is a radiating machine and with 6" fresh snow they really give it up.  They have that Pine Barrens "desert-effect" where daytime highs can soar and nighttime lows dip fast.  Just far enough from ocean and bay too.  KWWD hit 10F just before midnight, but really the temperature bounced around quite a lot and averaged 15F or so for the morning hours.  It is wild how we can differ so much in a short distance.

Exactly. Pretty funny but fascinating at the same time.

How is the redwood doing, after surviving last winter?  Am rooting for it, no pun intended.

Not sure.  I've toyed with the idea of asking someone to take a picture and send it to me, but based on how it fared last winter, it won't really show the damage which is bound to have occurred until it thaws out. 

Not sure.  I've toyed with the idea of asking someone to take a picture and send it to me, but based on how it fared last winter, it won't really show the damage which is bound to have occurred until it thaws out. 

Makes sense.  I'm envisioning a race of winter hardy redwoods in NJ!   :lol:

Question, are there any analogs that show a pattern like we are having this year?

You may have to go back to the ice age to find a good match... ;)

But seriously...I have no idea if the pattern has any similarities, but the winter of 1976-77 was very cold with not a lot of snow.  I wonder if that winter had a big-time -EPO/+PNA but also a majorly +NAO preventing our area from getting decent snows out of the frigid cold.

I seem to remember back around 72 or 73 or maybe a year or two later that we had some extremely cold weather and only a couple of 2" snow falls. I remember it well as I was a cable splicer for NJ Bell and there was a lot of development in Plainsboro at the time and we had to build splices in open trenches with the arctic wind howling like it is this year.I don't think I have ever been that cold in my life, which is why I am glad I am retired now.

The cold this February and where we look to be at the end of the month is unbelievable. I honestly didn't think a winter month this cold was something I ever would see again in my life time due to climate change/warming. Thought 1994 and the 70's winters were a level that could not be reached again. Of course 2014 was on the same level of cold as those other winters but this one has it beat.

NYC is going to finish near -10F departure for the month or colder?

Archived