• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Winter 2014-15 Discussion

Hoosier

to be honest..last winter was bad, but it was manageable. the best part was that it was sunny almost every day...which helps a lot (mentally). so let it come again! bring it on! Saukville loves it...the colder the better.

Hadnt thought about that....but it did seem that if it wasn't snowing, it was pretty clear....heck there was prolly even a half a dozen times or so when it was sunny and snowing thanks to LE action. Then again it seemed like it snowed 80% of the days.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not familiar with the Huron Mountain club land???

Play around with Google Maps here: http://goo.gl/maps/9h9YD. It's some untouched, unlogged land up there. Lots of elevation, waterfalls, pristine mountain lakes, some of the tallest pines in the eastern half of the country. Back in the day Henry Ford wanted to become a member but was placed on the wait list. It took him buying up land and blocking the construction of M-35 through the area (construction was started along 510 and what's known as "The Blind" or "Blind 35") until they accepted him into the club. The area would be a national park in a heartbeat.

I'm betting most will see a decent Winter as long as it isn't compared to last year. Think the smart way to go is cold, but not the prolonged type we saw last year.

At any rate, I will be living nw of Negaunee in the Huron Mountains in about 30 days.  My house here sold and I have an accepted offer up there.  No less than 200" for the past 12 years, so a good Winter I should see!

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/mqt/?n=seasonsnowfallmaps

Wow, congratz on the move, definitely not going to beat you in the snowfall now, lol. I have always wanted to live in the UP mainly towards the Keweenaw personally. But will never be able to talk my wife into moving that far north. Can't wait to see some pictures. We will be up that way for sledding this winter maybe ill see you around. 

As for the winter, i agree with most, think it will be a more normal winter in terms of snowfall and perhaps a little colder. But hard to believe we would get the same amount of sustained cold two years in a row. Snowfall wise I would be happy with our averages again although would be nice to get a decent synoptic storm this year. Last year we did not get one I believe besides clippers. 

Wow, congratz on the move, definitely not going to beat you in the snowfall now, lol. I have always wanted to live in the UP mainly towards the Keweenaw personally. But will never be able to talk my wife into moving that far north. Can't wait to see some pictures. We will be up that way for sledding this winter maybe ill see you around. 

As for the winter, i agree with most, think it will be a more normal winter in terms of snowfall and perhaps a little colder. But hard to believe we would get the same amount of sustained cold two years in a row. Snowfall wise I would be happy with our averages again although would be nice to get a decent synoptic storm this year. Last year we did not get one I believe besides clippers. 

Weather, and specifically snow is my passion.  Just like that of a severe weather storm chaser.  Moving to NW lower was a waste of time, I should have gone for the big dog to begin with. Now, even in the poorest  of Winter's, I will see 150".  The couple of weeks I have spent up there this Summer, I finally get the remoteness of the UP and I couldn't not move up there.  It's like a different country.  Keep in touch with me and stop by if you are ever passing through the Huron Mountains. My closing is no later than Sept 30th.  :)

EDIT: the people I'm buying the home from say they have lost 2 dogs to wolves.  Apparently, the local pack has sent a female  up to entice the male dogs into the woods where an awaiting pack attacks.... how romantic! :D

Play around with Google Maps here: http://goo.gl/maps/9h9YD. It's some untouched, unlogged land up there. Lots of elevation, waterfalls, pristine mountain lakes, some of the tallest pines in the eastern half of the country. Back in the day Henry Ford wanted to become a member but was placed on the wait list. It took him buying up land and blocking the construction of M-35 through the area (construction was started along 510 and what's known as "The Blind" or "Blind 35") until they accepted him into the club. The area would be a national park in a heartbeat.

check out the ice on Superior... Was this updates recently?

Weather, and specifically snow is my passion.  Just like that of a severe weather storm chaser.  Moving to NW lower was a waste of time, I should have gone for the big dog to begin with. Now, even in the poorest  of Winter's, I will see 150".  The couple of weeks I have spent up there this Summer, I finally get the remoteness of the UP and I couldn't not move up there.  It's like a different country.  Keep in touch with me and stop by if you are ever passing through the Huron Mountains. My closing is no later than Sept 30th.  :)

EDIT: the people I'm buying the home from say they have lost 2 dogs to wolves.  Apparently, the local pack has sent a female  up to entice the male dogs into the woods where an awaiting pack attacks.... how romantic! :D

Even in 2011-2012 there was good snow over that way.

What elevation are you going to live at?

1516'

NICE. Almost a 1000ft above the lake. It will be nice to have good reports out of there. 

I'm leaving my sleds in a storage in Gaylord this winter, drive the Prius up and do day rides. My cousin and I are going to be going in on property between Grand Marais and Newberry, the snow belt of the eastern UP. Gonna be a sweet pad when completed.

Congrats on the new house.  You should get or make some sort of huge measuring post like what that Twin Lakes location has.  Better make it about 15ft high lol.  You could have a lot of fun with time lapse photography up there.  Set up a camera and take a pic once a day or something.  Would be pretty sweet watching the transition from summer to fall, and the buildup/melt of the snow pack. 

Good read, I'll be back in Ontario for the fall/winter and am looking forward to the season.

I've spent the summer up here in the Yukon. We've had well above normal precipitation this summer and below normal temperatures. In fact I got snowed on yesterday while hiking. First time I've seen snow in August!

Locals have said this is one of the wettest summers ever up here, and a very short summer compared to most. Haven't had access to much weather data up here so not sure what's causing this or how it will play into the winter forecast for the subforum but maybe one of you guys will be able to make some sense of it. Cheers.

Bo, definitely will have to hit you up if were ever going to be in the area..

Regarding the snow, definitely a good spot and should she a ton of LES. But if snow is really your passion, why not move west, as great as the LES is, it will never compare to the mountains. If I had any choice with my career I would be out West in a heartbeat.  200" is great, but doesn't compete with the powder out west.

Anyway look forward to the pictures and this coming season. Trees around my house are showing good color. Also had a couple tornadoes touchdown near my locale today.

Bo, definitely will have to hit you up if were ever going to be in the area..

Regarding the snow, definitely a good spot and should she a ton of LES. But if snow is really your passion, why not move west, as great as the LES is, it will never compare to the mountains. If I had any choice with my career I would be out West in a heartbeat.  200" is great, but doesn't compete with the powder out west.

Anyway look forward to the pictures and this coming season. Trees around my house are showing good color. Also had a couple tornadoes touchdown near my locale today.

The biggest reason is that I enjoy the great lakes.  I like the "coastal" feel and the influence of the big waters on the overall climate.  Secondly, I have some family in Ohio.  Also, I like the intensity of LE.  The thrill for me is watching it fall.  In that aspect, snow is snow to me.  The fact that a foot of snow doesn't necessarily snow you in is also a bonus.

• 3 weeks later...

Does that guy have any meteorological credentials?  Leaving that aside, more volcanic ash than at any point in recorded history?  That seems hard to believe considering some of the monster eruptions that have occurred in the past but I guess that leads to another question...what exactly is recorded history?

Yeah I would have guessed it was small change compared to Pinatubo or el Chichon, let alone "recorded history"

ATMOSPHERIC TRANSMISSION OF DIRECT SOLAR RADIATION AT MAUNA LOA, HAWAII

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/grad/mloapt.html

He wasn't saying any ONE caused it but the combination of them all.

It started with that volcano that erupted and shut down Heathrow a couple of years ago. There's another one next to it called Grimsvotn that's been erupting ever since. And there's just a big one that hit Indonesia about six weeks ago, and what that's done is that it's caused the Hadley cell winds to shift closer to the poles.

Does that guy have any meteorological credentials?  Leaving that aside, more volcanic ash than at any point in recorded history?  That seems hard to believe considering some of the monster eruptions that have occurred in the past but I guess that leads to another question...what exactly is recorded history?

Would have helped if a link or something was provided to back this theory of his? Thus is there a site that measures this stuff?

On another note.. I see 02-03/09-10 being mentioned elsewhere on this board as decent analogs for the winter. Be it enso ( which i am not seeing at all ) etc, I am not seeing it. Not YET anyways. Right now i am seeing alot more similarities to last winter vs those two. Thus see snow cover, weaker enso event, N.PAC SSTs, etc.. That is my thinking at this early point. See what happens over the next few weeks/month or so. Still a few things could change and so nothing yet set in stone.

Archived