joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
T-Storms Part 2 : "North and West of the city!"

TalcottWx

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was a one scan tornado, IE worst case scenario. That wasn't impressive until it dropped a tor, IMHO. I know the WCM, he's told me repeatedly this kind of stuff is what keeps him awake at night.

Well how do hundreds of amateurs and weenies like us see it though? The mets on here were saying TOR. To me if it's there on dual pol with debris you issue warning.. Right?

Well how do hundreds of amateurs and weenies like us see it though? The mets on here were saying TOR. To me if it's there on dual pol with debris you issue warning.. Right?

Wouldn't have mattered. Thing probably lifted by the 9:34 volume scan. Wouldn't have had any lead time. 

We saw it the same time they did, I'd gander. They also have to draw out the warning and all that, besides all their other duties. Average issuance time is 30 seconds for a highly trained officer, so about 2 minutes from scan to warning is, IMHO, not terrible. As has been said, that was really too quick to do anything about it. Worst case scenario.

Yeah I don't think there was any lead time, although sounds like some other stuff went on downstream of Revere near Needham. Still..probably need to issue a warning regardless.

What bothers me is that the tornado debris sig was never mentioned in warnings or NWS Chat. There's no excuse for that. Radar confirmed a tornado touched down in Revere and we knew that by 9:35 a.m. 

Why we have to listen to hours of "who knows what it was... microburst??? tornado???" is just ridiculous.

Also... what's the point of dual pol if you're not going to use it to inform the public.  The initial warning (which should have gone out sooner but wouldn't have had any lead time anyway) should have referenced a confirmed touchdown in Revere. 

Had I been working in Boston I would have gone on air with a confirmed tornado in Revere right away regardless of what NWS did or didn't have out. 

I will say, 10 minutes is too long of a delay. A 0 lead time warning is better than a -10 minute lead time.

This is the perfect set up though for these one or two volume scan tornadoes. Tough warning environment. It happens.

What bothers me is that the tornado debris sig was never mentioned in warnings or NWS Chat. There's no excuse for that. Radar confirmed a tornado touched down in Revere and we knew that by 9:35 a.m. 

Why we have to listen to hours of "who knows what it was... microburst??? tornado???" is just ridiculous.

Also... what's the point of dual pol if you're not going to use it to inform the public.  The initial warning (which should have gone out sooner but wouldn't have had any lead time anyway) should have referenced a confirmed touchdown in Revere. 

Had I been working in Boston I would have gone on air with a confirmed tornado in Revere right away regardless of what NWS did or didn't have out. 

Yeah that was pretty evident on CC. I'm not sure the morning on air mets would have had that awareness to detect anything like that..no offense to them. I mean I was looking at radarscope and was like "whoa" when I posted about that couplet. That was really evident...I wished I looked at CC at the same time.

Pretty incredible.

It went right over me. My nerves are a bit rattled right now. I'm at work now. I had no power at home and it was dark as night. I didn't see a funnel or anything. Too much rain and too dark.

You have a story to tell--glad you're safe.

IMG_3772_zps1b980b23.jpg

All-state automotive division signs in relief

i'd agree on this.  Tough situation but the debris cloud tells all and in this case they're very lucky it DIDN'T last longer than it did.

Archived