• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July Banter

mackerel_sky

Hey, guys and gals.  Just a short and simple board etiquette request:  when responding to a particularly long post, particularly ones that contains images, why not go ahead and delete the picture(s) before hitting "Post"?  It makes the pages a little less cluttered when scrolling through them.  Not a big deal, but just something I thought I'd throw out there.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, guys and gals.  Just a short and simple board etiquette request:  when responding to a particularly long post, particularly ones that contains images, why not go ahead and delete the picture(s) before hitting "Post"?  It makes the pages a little less cluttered when scrolling through them.  Not a big deal, but just something I thought I'd throw out there.

I did that in the summer thread. Will have to remember to delete the pics.

Are you ready to declare an Enso forecast? Sounds like you're hinting at a weak El-Nino. I have been casually glancing at the mega thread over on the main forum and I agree that a strong event may be off the table now.

No, not yet. The ENSO is hard to predict right now. But a weak El Niño peak this fall/winter, which had seemingly very low odds just a couple of months ago, is a reasonable possibility now. If we get weak El Niño, predominant -NAO, and predominant +PDO, watch out for a cold winter in the SE US!

This summer sux! It's awesome to have 95-100 degree days on top of 10+ days with no rain. That has a devastating total effect on flora and fauna that will equal death if no supplemental water is applied! One or the other would be annoying, but the combo is a knockout punch! :(

Edit: it could be worse , I guess!? We could live in Seattle , where they are putting out heat advisories and sws for highs 85-90 lolzzzz, oh the humanity!!

This summer sux! It's awesome to have 95-100 degree days on top of 10+ days with no rain. That has a devastating total effect on flora and fauna that will equal death if no supplemental water is applied! One or the other would be annoying, but the combo is a knockout punch! :(

Edit: it could be worse , I guess!? We could live in Seattle , where they are putting out heat advisories and sws for highs 85-90 lolzzzz, oh the humanity!!

They use that "we don't have air conditioning" excuse. They always sell out with air conditioners whenever a heatwave comes. Not sure how everyone there doesn't have one yet. I don't even turn on the AC here doing the day. I only turn it on at night.

Oh the humidity would be the correct term  :P

Anybody got any ideas why every day the 0z and 6z plots for the GFS on eWall do not finish updating? The 12z and 18z ones work fine. This happens just about every day. The same thing happens with the 0z UKMET. What would cause this to happen every day?

They can't handle the polar vortex in July! Total chaos!

Anybody got any ideas why every day the 0z and 6z plots for the GFS on eWall do not finish updating?  The 12z and 18z ones work fine.  This happens just about every day.  The same thing happens with the 0z UKMET.  What would cause this to happen every day?

I've seen that with the GFS Ensemble images too.  Some images just don't populate on some of the runs.  The ewall webmaster team must all be at the beach for the summer

I've seen that with the GFS Ensemble images too.  Some images just don't populate on some of the runs.  The ewall webmaster team must all be at the beach for the summer

I guess...it's weird, because it happens with the same thing for days/weeks in a row, and then it's magically fixed.  Last winter, it happened with the CMC for a few weeks, and then it was fixed.  It's like they only look to make sure it's functioning properly once per month or something.

Rudolph and Frosty have Christmas in July   :P      

1977 was a great year for many in the east   :wub:

Man... I would LOVE to see this happen again. LOL!

January 18, 1977: The pressure gradient between a strong ridge over the Mississippi Valley and a Nor'easter over Atlantic Canada sends very cold temperatures southward into the state. Areas around Pensacola are the first to receive the snow. Then the rest of The Panhandle. Followed by record accumulations for The Nature Coast, the I-4 corridor (both Orlando and Tampa (one tenth to a quarter inch) receive light accumulations of 1 inch (25 mm) to 2 inches (51 mm) with a few isolated spots reportedly receiving 3 inches (76 mm) to 6 inches (150 mm)), and finally South Florida. By early morning before sunrise on January 19, West Palm Beach reported snow for the first time on record, with snow flurries reaching as far south as Homestead. The snow causes little impact as it was of the dry variety, though the accompanying cold air results in hundreds of millions of dollars in damage (Orlando tied the 1899 record of over six consecutive nights well-below freezing). On January 20, The Miami Herald reports the event as the front page story, with a headline of a size usually reserved for the declaration of war.[24]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_in_Florida

This site also has some good pictures from the Tampa area: http://www.tampapix.com/snow.htm

Man... I would LOVE to see this happen again. LOL!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_in_Florida

This site also has some good pictures from the Tampa area: http://www.tampapix.com/snow.htm

Me too  ;)    I do have to admit that after two consecutive years of the harshest winters I've ever experienced (77-78), I remember thinking to myself (in mid April with snow still on the ground), is winter ever gonna end because I miss spring/summer.  :lol: 

It was the only time I have ever said those words  :P   

Would be nice to see one of those winters in my life... I can see the headline now "Waycross digs out from major.... mudslide, while rest of the southeast records record daily snowfall totals."

I want some snow. Still disappointed from the 1/28-1/29 storm. I remember days tracking it we were supposed to get clobbered with snow, then the models were showing 2 inches of freezing rain, then 33 and rain which verified.

I want some snow. Still disappointed from the 1/28-1/29 storm. I remember days tracking it we were supposed to get clobbered with snow, then the models were showing 2 inches of freezing rain, then 33 and rain which verified.

MetalMan,

Part of the problem is that the Euro and its ensembles have clowns for clown maps in that they have all wintry precip. accumulate as snow. At Savannah, they had 4" of snow on many runs even when 850's didn't support it. Even Goofy didn't have this because its clown map doesn't do this. I think that Euro clowns should be banned.

The thing about the 1976-1977 winter is that it seems like it only got 3-4 inches of snow in my area. What a waste of cold!

Now, if it that level of cold occurred the same year as the 2000 snowstorm, that would have been awesome! I imagine the snow would have stuck around for weeks in that scenario.

Morning all, I have posted this in the Mountain thread but just wanted to drop a line in this one. I am moving from Weaverville (Asheville) to the Florida Panhandle @ the end of the month. We will be located in a small town called Navarre (hence the name change with proper credit given to Mr Burns in the Mnt thread). Navarre is located between Pensacola & FWB Destin. While I will miss the Mnts & Asheville....esp the snows, both my wife, son, & myself have the sea in our blood so to speak. With both our daughters out of the nest the time is right for our move. I will continue to post, more so in the general threads now & also in the Mnt threads. The beauty of the Panhandle is amazing & we are quite excited about our relocation. One tidbit of info is that the white sugar sand beaches are actually quartz from the Mnts of WNC. Any way wont take up any more of your time with my drivel. I will be back to posting soon & hope to replace my snow obs with some tropical obs in the coming years. Bless you all, signed the artist formally known as AshevilleDon.

Archived