joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July Banter

mackerel_sky

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I watched the sea breeze front work its way inland, only to collide with the outflow boundary from the dying storms not a couple miles from my house....ugh.  The front will probably stall out to my north tomorrow and that little impulse will spark off storms a county away.......sigh   :(     :axe:

First batch missed me, but a pop up storm behind the main line gave me a quick .51".  First rain this month.

I watched the sea breeze front work its way inland, only to collide with the outflow boundary from the dying storms not a couple miles from my house....ugh.  The front will probably stall out to my north tomorrow and that little impulse will spark off storms a county away.......sigh   :(     :axe:

I think the local forecasters are really overhyping the chance of storms lately.

I think both of you will get some rain today.  It should be a pretty active day.

Ain't that always the way? You get something shiny and new and they have to have one too!?

Haha!  I didn't have a choice for work.  They replaced my Blackberry with an iPhone.  It's supposed to be locked down, but it's not...at least not yet anyway.  For the wife, I'm trying to decide whether to get the iPhone or the Samsung Galaxy.  It's hard to know what the best choice is.  Any ideas?

Haha!  I didn't have a choice for work.  They replaced my Blackberry with an iPhone.  It's supposed to be locked down, but it's not...at least not yet anyway.  For the wife, I'm trying to decide whether to get the iPhone or the Samsung Galaxy.  It's hard to know what the best choice is.  Any ideas?

I have the new note and the wife is diehard iphone fan. The iphone does appear to be easier to use (more intuitive). The Galaxy will do more of high tech things ( Radarscope has better graphics). She piggybacks my droid when she needs things like remote wifi for the ipad.

My wife had an iPhone and then got the Galaxy S4. She likes it better than the iPhone. I get to have her hand-me-down when we are able to upgrade later this month and she is getting the S5.

Thanks for the input, fellas.  We bought an iPad last year, so the iPhone is kind of intuitive for me.  I've know people with both the iPhone and the Galaxy and the thoughts pretty much echo what you guys have said.

Unfortunately for Grit, I still have to use my laptop for the little critter maps. :)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2014/07/10/poor-mans-polar-vortex-to-make-shocking-summer-return-in-eastern-u-s-next-week/?utm_content=bufferf5c06&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

:facepalm:

You don't use the term "Polar Vortex" in July, Poor Mans Polar Vortex is still :facepalm:

I awake from my summer hibernation to read articles like that, I should have stayed in my cave until winter.

Buckeye mentioned Christmas in July in the other thread. We always watch some Christmas movies in July. Tonight, we're watching a classic Christmas movie and probably the greatest action movie of all time... Die Hard. :)

That's a great idea/tradition! I might start soon with Christmas Vacation! That's a hard one to only watch twice a year ( thanksgiving and Christmas), so a third viewing is in order!

Maybe the classic Home Alone, got a 7 year old to start a tradition with! :)

That's a great idea/tradition! I might start soon with Christmas Vacation! That's a hard one to only watch twice a year ( thanksgiving and Christmas), so a third viewing is in order!

Maybe the classic Home Alone, got a 7 year old to start a tradition with! :)

You should do it! Die Hard, Home Alone 2, Christmas Vacation, The Ref, and Santa Claus are usually the ones we watch in July. After Thanksgiving, we add The Polar Express, A Christmas Carol (with George C. Scott), Home Alone, Jingle All The Way, Love Actually (wife's pick....but it actually is a really good movie -- just don't tell anyone I said that), and a couple of others. :)

Shouldn't you guys do Christmas in June instead, as that's six months from when Christmas actually is?

Rudolph and Frosty have Christmas in July   :P      

By the way, I was just looking on Weather Underground, and I found this: http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KRDU/1977/1/11/MonthlyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA

Is it legit?

1977 was a great year for many in the east  :wub: 

By the way, I was just looking on Weather Underground, and I found this: http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KRDU/1977/1/11/MonthlyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA

Is it legit?

Yep, it was our coldest month on record here in NC. Charlotte had a monthly average mean of 30 degrees. For those of us old enough to remember, it was a brutal month. I wouldn't mind seeing it again before I die. For some perspective, go to Youtube and check out what happened in Buffalo NY that month. The entire eastern US was gripped under severe cold.

Yep, it was our coldest month on record here in NC. Charlotte had a monthly average mean of 30 degrees. For those of us old enough to remember, it was a brutal month. I wouldn't mind seeing it again before I die. For some perspective, go to Youtube and check out what happened in Buffalo NY that month. The entire eastern US was gripped under severe cold.

Not coincidentally, that was a weak Nino winter.

No thanks! I was in NE Pa at the time, just married that August. Seems I recall something like two weeks straight where the low was below zero and high ten at best. Our septic line FROZE! Lovely! They were trying to dig out a water main for a new development on ~2000 foot mountain above Scranton and frost was found fourteen feet deep...normal max frost level usually around six feet, that's where puppies were usually buried. More than enough for me to not want to endure that again!!!

Edit: http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KAVP/1977/1/11/MonthlyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA

Maybe not two weeks straight but septic line did freeze and frost was at fourteen feet on the mountain.

It's interesting listening to the weather forecasts (accuweather) a local radio station (WPTF) plays on weekends. Earlier today they were calling for variable cloudiness with showers and storms today. 2 hours later, they revised that to read sunny and 85, but for Wednesday, they just said "Partly cloudy, hot and humid, high near 100"! I think the saturday crew is just pulling random tapes or discs or whatever radio uses nowadays.

It's interesting listening to the weather forecasts (accuweather) a local radio station (WPTF) plays on weekends. Earlier today they were calling for variable cloudiness with showers and storms today. 2 hours later, they revised that to read sunny and 85, but for Wednesday, they just said "Partly cloudy, hot and humid, high near 100"! I think the saturday crew is just pulling random tapes or discs or whatever radio uses nowadays.

Haha! That's terrible.

Archived