CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Spring/ Summer 2014 Convection Discussion

weatherwiz

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As for SAILS, most of our little region has been shipped the build software (BOX, ALY, OKX). BTV and GYX have to wait. In fact GYX is one of the last in the country scheduled to get the shipment. :cry:

Yet those two offices have the best severe in New England. I know I know....population is probably a reason why you have to wait.

Yet those two offices have the best severe in New England. I know I know....population is probably a reason why you have to wait.

Pretty much every summer at least once you see some incredibly impressive supercell in N ME but it's all for waste...until we can figure out how to skywarn train the Moose it's just pleasure yourself to radar images

Pretty much every summer at least once you see some incredibly impressive supercell in N ME but it's all for waste...until we can figure out how to skywarn train the Moose it's just pleasure yourself to radar images

They can be trained, But it requires lead............. :)

I think NYC is on the edge...Looks like a NJ to RIC type MCS train..probably PHL on south if I had to guess..but could include NYC. Big heat dome over the south and PV north of Hudson Bay means strong jet dynamics too.

The Wiz will be travelling the NJTP south I'd say.

The Wiz will be travelling the NJTP south I'd say.

I wish! My friend from NH returns home tomorrow so my chase is done this year. Great news though is by next year I may be able to go out on my own...driving has been going great and I've even done highway and it's not nearly as bad as I thought...just have to work on getting a car which I think I can get one by next summer!

Kinda o/t, but whatis everybody's take on the 4 minute convection video over at WWW.spaceweather.com?

Wow, no comments? Sprites, jets, and the like really intrigue me, and I thought this was similar. From what I gather, the electrical charges change the ice crystals above the convection, and bend the visible light in a sun dog type of a formation. According to the links in the spaceweather article, there are other instances of this phenomena caught on camera.

Thoughts???

Kinda o/t, but whatis everybody's take on the 4 minute convection video over at WWW.spaceweather.com?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=7eomvFly0Ic

Interesting vid. This is a phenomena most often called "crown flash" or "leaping sundogs", it's an optical effect that happens when lightning strikes make the local magnetic field suddenly change, causing ice crystals to realign with resulting optical shifts. There used to be a webpage with a bunch of examples...  Found it, here you go: http://amasci.com/amateur/sundog.html

edit: damn, you beat me with the explanation while I was searching for that url. But yeah, that's what this is.

Wow, no comments? Sprites, jets, and the like really intrigue me, and I thought this was similar. From what I gather, the electrical charges change the ice crystals above the convection, and bend the visible light in a sun dog type of a formation. According to the links in the spaceweather article, there are other instances of this phenomena caught on camera.

Thoughts???

That's pretty interesting.  Who knows what it is but I guess there is some sort of explanation for it 

Thoughts???

I have to say I've seen sprites once. I always thought it was only possible at high altitude or space, but out in Iowa with the really large MCSs you can see them coming from a long way away. If you get anvil level winds just right (i.e. not blowing out towards your location but parallel to the leading edge of the MCS) you can see sprites shooting out of the top of the convection out by DSM when you're sitting in DVN.

I was disappointed I didn't have my camera ready at the time.

Archived