12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Spring/ Summer 2014 Convection Discussion

weatherwiz

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah '98 and '89 are no doubt impressive... but none is even close to the same league as 1985.

The synoptic setup of 5/31/85 was truly epic..I mean the 500mb circulation was closed off lol.  

You had a very strong s/w energy which was trying to really amplify the trough...the ridging east was so strong that it couldn't amplify much (wouldn't dig) so in response you just had a major increase in the MLJ and synoptic lift.  The system was just so mature it was able to pool in strong llvl moisture and warmth and make for a more than perfect wind profile.  

I think 6/2 produced a few spinners near BGM IIRC.

Looking at my notebook on 5/31/98 NY had 3 tornadoes...an F4 which crossed over from Erie and Warren counties in PA to Chautauqua county and a separate F3 in Chautauqua and then an F1 in St. Lawrence.  

I can't recall where exactly thse counties are in NY but they all may be right near BGM?

Just reading through that... even with how primitive data was back then... there really shouldn't have been much of a surprise. Look at the 12z soundings and the 12z 500mb chart and you'd be all amped up for twisters.

I think that the mets knew, media might not have been the best at giving out the information prior to the storms developing. Tv stations might have been afraid to start a panic in area that was not a typical "tornado prone" area. Even I would be able to look at the charts and say hmm, we might have a shot at deadly storms. 

I asked if he was still pouting in his torch thread on facebook and he deleted it, so clearly he's still acting like someone still his G.I. Joe's when he was a kid.

He'll be back, we all know that. It shouldn't have to come to this picking up the football and taking it home type stuff, but it lets things reset again.

It's the trolling and bad meteorology that gets annoying. He is a good guy but can go on streaks of just be a horrible poster.

Moderate his posts then.   Delete stuff that doesn't belong in discussion threads and/or doesnt have any basis (other than an agenda behind it) and this goes for folks other than Kevin.

Archived