joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring 2014 Banter Thread

jm1220

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Limiting anyone who isn't a met to a certain amount of posts isn't going to work. The majority of this board is hobbyists. If they are all limited in number of posts, there will be nobody posting around here. In addition its going to drive people away, and discourage new membership.

Thats exactly why I said what I did in the other banter thread.

Thats exactly why I said what I did in the other banter thread.

Yeah I saw that. There are a lot of smart people on these boards. Some with tags and others who are experts in fields other than weather. Its silly to pretty much put anybody who isn't a degreed met in virtual timeout because they don't have a degree or red tag.

Weather is a hobby that a lot of people love, but don't specialize or major in. It's pretty unique in that sense. I think limiting posts would be unfair and probably even a bit oppressive

This is a discussion board, people want to discuss. The hobbyist to met numbers are probably pretty high. There isn't many red taggers on here in the grand scheme. If they only post sporadically, these forums will be dead.

I think there are things to work on, but that particular course of action would drive people out of here in a hurry

Anyone ever look into grad school in something like disaster mitigation or something similar? If so where an prerequisites?

The best way to go is an MBA with concentration in risk management. Definitely a hot field right now with everything going on. Most schools have a program these days. I took a couple of RM classes at Temple when I was getting mine (marketing) and its a pretty fascinating field, Much more useful than marketing..

Hi all. Maybe I should wait for the "Summer Banter Thread" for this, but I work out at Brookhaven Lab (Suffolk County), and we do a series of open houses each summer. This year, one of our "Summer Sundays" will include a tour of the National Weather Service Upton Forecast Office, which is located on our site. The date is July 27, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.  Admission is free. So come on out if you'd like to see the NWS office!

Awesome!

I'll be there.

Looks like fun :whistle:

So the Superstorm of 1993 killed more people than any single tornado in the US besides the Tri-State tornado in 1925. Some of you people don't seem to understand that the argument goes both ways if we're going down this road.

That wasn't my point, but some winter folks always pull this when it comes to severe season that it makes the rest of us weird or cruel to enjoy severe weather.

Love severe weather season!! I feel bad for the people affected by it but visually, nothing beats the structure of a supercell over the open plains. Absolutely stunning. I think LP super cells are amongst my favorite things to look at.

Obviously classic supercells are insane structurally but I just have a thing for low precip ones.

That wasn't my point, but some winter folks always pull this when it comes to severe season that it makes the rest of us weird or cruel to enjoy severe weather.

Most people around here do enjoy tracking severe weather but you can't really compare the death and destruction from an f5 tornado or cat 5 hurricane to a snowstorm

Most people around here do enjoy tracking severe weather but you can't really compare the death and destruction from an f5 tornado or cat 5 hurricane to a snowstorm

Ask the folks whose homes were swept away along the coast by the December 1992 nor'easter.

Might want to reread his post because he just did compare it very astutely I might add.

Those people were mostly not killed by snow. They didn't lose their homes or have their towns flattened by snow. The storm spawned severe weather which accounted for many of the deaths

How about the Blizzard of 1888, the Blizzard of 1996, the SNE Blizzard of 1978 or the Appalachians Storm of 1950?

Archived