Newest Member
    northernriwx
April Discussion..Mild overall..and really not wild

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The RAP has around 70 knots at 900mb over BOS. :lol:

We'd prob have a shot at 60-65 knot gusts if we didn't have such an inversion.

Yeah the LLJ is quite impressive. It's interesting that it went from more sustained earlier, to more in the way of gusts now. I think the rain lowered mixing a bit, but these showers are bringing down some good winds at times.

To this day, I think the January 2006 srly wind event is the bar set for me regarding these types of systems. That was on another level.

Wait till the squall line tears thru

looks like a low topped squall line developing in northern NJ.  

We've seen though plenty of times that the winds within the squall lines themselves in these setups are pretty meh...best winds are typically out ahead of them or with a gust front.  Right under them the rain cooled air establishes or enhances the inversion really preventing winds from mixing down.  

Yeah the LLJ is quite impressive. It's interesting that it went from more sustained earlier, to more in the way of gusts now. I think the rain lowered mixing a bit, but these showers are bringing down some good winds at times.

To this day, I think the January 2006 srly wind event is the bar set for me regarding these types of systems. That was on another level.

2006 is still the record here at work for winter 

looks like a low topped squall line developing in northern NJ.  

We've seen though plenty of times that the winds within the squall lines themselves in these setups are pretty meh...best winds are typically out ahead of them or with a gust front.  Right under them the rain cooled air establishes or enhances the inversion really preventing winds from mixing down.  

NAM today showed that well, 925 winds were greatest this afternoon then slack off but then 850 winds cranked, CAA winds will be decent

Wow. That is some wind right there..lol. Yeah Steve, that was out of control. There is a roar, and then complete jet turbine sound like that day. Tons of damage.

working very hard on getting a station up there with a web cam so everyone can watch it live. I know its a great barometer for interior elevation winds, often Blue Hill follows soon after with big gusts. I think on that day they hit 85 shortly after we recorded 92.3. It shows how inversions and winds with height work, hope to use it as a learning tool too, fingers crossed.

I drove through the front here in upstate NY.

We were headed north toward Utica around 1000

It was 58 with a steady rain.

The interior of the car suddenly fogged and the car thermometer started plunging.

We went from 58 to 46 while covering 1 mile of pavement at 60 mph.

Ten minutes later in Utica it was 41F.

Now back home, 32F with snow sticking to the grass and patio table.

Amazing day!

NAM today showed that well, 925 winds were greatest this afternoon then slack off but then 850 winds cranked, CAA winds will be decent

yeah I was thinking earlier CAA winds could be fairly decent...looks like though winds behind the front really slack off so they shouldn't be as extreme as to what we are seeing now but maybe 25-35 mph gusts possible?  I haven't looked at any models or anything...just basing looking at winds aloft from SPC meso page

I hope the NAM is wrong... that would be a mess tonight.

The RPM is super bullish on the cold too. 

NAM would be like 1-2 hours of S+ and total flash freeze.

Didn't see the RPM...did it show the burst of heavy snow like the NAM?

If it gets really cold, but we shut off the precip, then our chances for flash freeze obviously diminish. We get some frozen puddles but the roads would mostly dry out.

Archived