joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April Discussion..Mild overall..and really not wild

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guidance still looks interesting for a rain to snow possibility next week... surprised no one mentioned the 12z ECM... puts down 6"+ from ALB to CAR as a low develops along the boundary.

12z ECM would change almost everyone over to snow at least briefly, and would be a condo crusher for VT/NH/ME as well as the Berks and Eastern NY.  12z GGEM is not too dissimilar. 

Was at work so not optimal sitting there whacking away on an iPhone, and there is no way I am using the company network to bop out onto the internet, where every mouse click and key board touch is recorded just so's some douchy IT guy can later sit down with a cup a coffee and start f*ing up peoples lives 'cause his job is otherwise static and ennui...  

but I digress...

The week is a volatile one for sure.  The discontinuity in mass field types really is astounding, with summer and winter spread into 6 to 12 hour transition period. I tell you what, if any dynamics are sort of left behind in the southern component of the trough, not uncommon in the season of cut-offs ( ;) ), and probably wouldn't be well handled this far out ... we'd be talking something special.  NCEP mentioned this too.

You just don't see 74 at Boston with it being 26 not a stone's throw west of ALB that often... and may in fact be comparable too that April gig in 2000.  In either event, it will be a fascinating week to undergo that changeability ... I just wish we were going from cold to warm and not warm to cold.  

Does look like some potential for the Mtn up your way.

Yeah I'm casually watching but honestly, these set-ups are so fickle that even 48 hours out you can still have no idea.  So many things have to be timed just right to happen to be in that narrow zone where the cold air is sufficient for snow, and there's enough left-over precipitation to be worthwhile....and that's all if a developing wave along the boundary is timed just right to pass by at the right moment after the front passes.

As you know, these are more "thread the needle" than most events...you really just have to get lucky. 

lol the 00z ECM has pockets of sub-zero temps in the Adirondacks/NE VT/S. QE on Thursday morning under the high pressure. Chilly.

Unfortunately looks to keep the snow threat now to the 1,000ft+ elevations of the northern Greens and northern NY. That developing wave is tracking a little further west along the boundary...but man is it a full roaster on Sunday Night and Monday. Even up here lows will be in the 50s on Sunday night and highs 75F on Monday. 4,000ft forecast calling mid-60s on Monday. We'll finally get a good melt in over the next 5 days. I think it starts going fast below 2,000ft where depths are 2 feet or less.

From Eric Fisher, god the Cape is just toaster bath time at this time of year

1397179432517.jpg

not just the cape, SRI gets to share in the wealth. i was by the beaches in newport wednesday and on a beutifully sunny dry day with the wind off the water, there was still a slight fog/mist in the air

Yeah we certainly do not toss that solution..shorts, tanning and 75-80 Monday and a heavy Birch breaking snow by late Tuesday night. I wonder pif it's got any end support?

00z GGEM has a pretty heavy ANA thumpage...  

I doubt it all though.  I think it is a sharp tropospheric event, one characterized by whiplash positive to negative transition of anomalies, and that there is soooo much volatility there that the models that typically show higher amplitude bias in their middle ranges are given carte blanche to tap into all that numerical instability.

But it will probably just be a sharp cold front... I mean, REAL sharp.  Could something more happen?  Sure -- I just see it more often in April that cold air masses modeled for middle and extended ranges tend to get damped of their extremeness, as time passed and the solutions get into nearer terms; then ultimately verify as more like just annoyingly chilly when hearts have since turned warm in anticipation for summer fair..  That's for temperature...  As for precip, ANA's happen less anyway.

Unless your a cold neurosis sufferer and can't take your head out of the blizzard box in June. .. but that's an annoyance of a whole different ilk. 

If you are of that mind set, your best hope for snow this week is if there is, as of yet, more poorly modeled southern stream dynamics that get left behind, and up underneath that late season polar high. Right now there's no much, but it could get more (who knows) as the time gets closer.  NCEP also mentioned this yesterday in the mid-range chitchat, but so far ... only instability but limited S/W to do the deed.  

Definitely a solid spring day out here in Ayer, today. Working from home ... nice to have the front door ajar and tepid fresh air as a silent guest while coding software. 

Laissez faire corporate team attitude ftw!  

Anywho ... I was going over the numbers and balancing them against synoptics,... I actually think Sunday has a shot at busting warm. In fact, the 06z GFS and the 00z ECM (oper. versions) both indicate a hard warm frontal PP in NNE, with the entire region south of said boundary in a barotropic warm sector by 4pm on Sunday.  850s are near +11C, and the wind component actually contains more west vectors than Monday.  Plus, the 06z GFS has light QPF dappled in the warm sector in the north M/A regions for Monday, indicative of [probably] some cloud contamination, along with increased theta-e in that model, which together woudl raise DPs while knocking the T down a few ticks if it worked out that way.  Still very mild to out right warm on Monday... But as far as Sunday, we are smack dab in the middle of MOS-bustorama time of the year, where diabatic bombardment just destroys the conservative opinion more than 50someodd % of the time.

We'll see... But almost visualize Sunday with near full sun, waif breeze from the WSW, and a boundary layer almost 200mb deep, soaring the temp in the afternoon to the mid 70s or even a tad more.      

Archived