joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April Discussion..Mild overall..and really not wild

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any ideas on timing of that slug of rain for CT? Are we talking after 6:00 tonight or earlier?

Anytime between 8pm and 8am... though it should be out of there before dawn.  Real fast moving open wave.  Interesting with some instability params, too -- could be some thunder in that. 

Anytime between 8pm and 8am... though it should be out of there before dawn.  Real fast moving open wave.  Interesting with some instability params, too -- could be some thunder in that. 

Just trying to time soccer practice for kids tonight which starts at 5:15. I noticed the rap has rain in here by 4:00..Hopefully it moves off to the north.

For a few minutes yesterday it showed flood warning for all of SNE including the coastal waters.

I thought maybe the doomsday tsunami was incoming.

They've updated to the new page, the old one is no longer functioning.  That means that last week's stuff has not changed.  New website is prettier, anyways.  They have a nice powerpoint explaining the changes.

They've updated to the new page, the old one is no longer functioning.  That means that last week's stuff has not changed.  New website is prettier, anyways.  They have a nice powerpoint explaining the changes.

Do you have the URL?  

Welp ... close the blinds and completely ignore the weather starting in 4 days.... until who knows.... 

In May of 2005, we had two to perhaps three weeks of perpetual sh!t weather.  High temperatures at times were no higher than 48F, with lows no lower than 45F, with wind swept rains.  Discussed this in the past, but a deep negative anomaly parked over the M/A/west Atlantic, and every time it appeared to begin to fill and/or move out, the northern stream would take a dump into the backside, causing it to redeepen and retrograde back west.  It was like a three week nor-easter that had three distinct pulses of enhanced wind and rain, where/when in between it was light wind, but no sun, no warmth, and perpetual mist.  Imagine that, for two or three weeks unending, unrelenting, and demonstrating Nature's utter indifference to the existence man.  It was the March 1888 of all-time sh!t show patterns... Really, nothing could be worse, other than a Global extinction event. Can't stress enough how bad that was.

Point is, the sh!ts can last when they kick in at this time of year, and though May is late for that, April DEFINITELY is not.  So enjoy the next four days, because it may not be so balmy and inspiring for quite some time. 

Oh... and if those that are neurotically incapable of letting go of snow fantasies and hope, however private is your insanity kept, you're not cashing in on that pattern either.  We're talking days on end of 40F puke off the NW Atlantic.  So... in essence, just perfectly wrong for the maximum amount of individual sensible weather tastes.  

I almost would rather it not warm up and be so fantastic for the next 4 days (save for the speed bump overnight tonight). It just makes that pattern tougher to endure. I'd rather stay acclimated to colder than normal until it really does finally break. 

That May 2005 mess bottomed out during 22nd-26th, less than a month from the solstice and my nornal highs were well into the 60s. The highest temp in those 5 days was 49 and we had 5.14" rain, all on raw NE wind. Then we had a rainy, 40s/low-50s stretch in mid June that finished the annihilation of my garden.

That May 2005 mess bottomed out during 22nd-26th, less than a month from the solstice and my nornal highs were well into the 60s. The highest temp in those 5 days was 49 and we had 5.14" rain, all on raw NE wind. Then we had a rainy, 40s/low-50s stretch in mid June that finished the annihilation of my garden.

I'm fairly heavy into gardening.... Last year my garden was an abomination... We recessed to a couple of low 40s nights with light rain in late May and that destroyed most of what I had.  The roots were tweaked by the sub 58F soil and it severely stunted all growth and then no fruit.   New England really can just about be the worst place on Earth in spring.  

At least we'll get this weekend...

ORH failed to hit 80F in May 2005...not the easiest task to accomplish.

They also this gem of a stretch from May 21-26, 2005:

Date

Max Temperature

Min Temperature

Precipitation

2005-05-21
T

2005-05-22

2005-05-23

2005-05-24

2005-05-25

2005-05-26

Nah, not all -- just warning people that it's like going to be a bad weather pattern here.

Yeah it's inevitable. Hopefully ridging out west bubbles east enough and the troughing is far enough east to promote more continental flow rather than maritime after next week. I know you know this, but NW winds are fine this time of year...it's the maritime flow that's a killer.

ORH failed to hit 80F in May 2005...not the easiest task to accomplish.

They also this gem of a stretch from May 21-26, 2005:

Date

Max Temperature

Min Temperature

Precipitation

2005-05-21
T

2005-05-22

2005-05-23

2005-05-24

2005-05-25

2005-05-26

That was such a crazy stretch. Coastal flooding was pretty bad, too.

That was such a crazy stretch. Coastal flooding was pretty bad, too.

I was just looking at May 1997 for NNE....MWN had 95" of snow that month. :lol:

And the Mansfield snow stake had a net gain between mid-April and May 10th. :lmao:

Powderfreak would have been skiing into early June that year.

Yeah it's inevitable. Hopefully ridging out west bubbles east enough and the troughing is far enough east to promote more continental flow rather than maritime after next week. I know you know this, but NW winds are fine this time of year...it's the maritime flow that's a killer.

Honestly ... a frigid NW flow would be better than that scraped from Satan's rectal walls pattern the GFS is offering... ha

Mid and upper 60's right now.  Nice day!

There's a few thermometers here in the interior, of the backyard variety, that are at or just eclipsing 70F ... suspect they are real, just going by the skin and sensible appeal to the sun baked air mass.  They may not be official, but veracious nonetheless.  I have 71 here in Ayer.  

Significant because it's the warmest day of the year thus far. 

I was just looking at May 1997 for NNE....MWN had 95" of snow that month. :lol:

And the Mansfield snow stake had a net gain between mid-April and May 10th. :lmao:

Powderfreak would have been skiing into early June that year.

Yeah that was a crazy few weeks for the higher elevations up there..wow. I remember the snow reports from MWN and Pinkham notch.

I was in northeastern VT in 1997 and May was pretty impressive in regards to cold as was that spring in NNE. In mid May I drove down to Boston. When I left VT the trees were barely budding. By the time I got to Concord NH it looked like mid summer. May 2005 was certainly a cool and wet stretch. 65 degrees now as clouds have taken over down from 67. 

Archived