Pick best answer  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Pick

• I got more snow in 2002-03 and like it better
    • I got more snow in 2013-14 and like it better
    • I got more snow in 2002-03, but like 2013-14 better
    • I got more snow in 2013-14, but like 2002-03 better
    • I'll answer after Tuesday
    • I wasn't here in 2002-03, but I think I would have liked that winter better
    • I wasn't here in 2002-03, but by all accounts I think I'd prefer this winter
    • I was 3 years old in 2002-03

Not totally clear cut from my POV, wasn't here in 02-03 of course. I think I lean this year.. more total grass coverings than 02-03 prob, at least one more. That's my first metric of a good storm.  Obviously the HECS that winter was better than the one this year. This one had a longer period of good snows and has been a pretty epic March.

2002-03, but a case could be made for 13-14....I think they are pretty even, and so not sure how I can not favor the year that had the 4th highest NESIS rated storm, and because of the temps and the liquid volume, and the sleet had the impact of a 24" storm even though sleet kept me below 20"...PD2 was simply too much of an epic beast..

Measurable events -

02-03: 11, 13-14: 12+

2" events -

02-03: 6, 13-14: 6

4" events -

02-03: 4, 13-14: 4

Biggest storm -

02-03: 18.5", 13-14: 10" (estimate at my 02-03 location)

Total for winter (so far) -

02-03: 44", 13-14: 37" (estimate at my 02-03 location)

Cold:

02-03 - 3rd coldest winter on record at DCA, 13-14 (epic cold shots)

Didnt vote.

That's because both winters were awesome sauce.

PD2 was incredible. The mid Feb snow this season was epic for the ages. Those snow rates that morning from 1am to 5am were fantastic.

Both winters were shweet.

It just scours out my very soul to realize that spring is nearly upon us.

I probably got more snow this winter though it's close (didn't measure most events in 02-03), and the cold clearly wins this year (well I was often at Millersville where it was actually colder than 02-03, home I'm less sure about).

It felt like a good old-fashioned midwest winter with bitter cold, lots of snowstorms (more than any other winter I can recall), but not much of a full-fledged area-wide HECS this time, which is fine.... I never expected one anyways and 2/13 was good enough.

Still not up to 02/03 in snowfall where I'm at, and the difference between PDII and 2/12-13 this year is so huge that it's no contest for me. Plus, while the cold shots were more extreme this season, 02/03 was colder overall DJF. Even with all the snow events this season, IAD has had fewer 1"+ snow cover days than 02/03.

02/03 was much better, and not just because I got more snow. We had the big 12/5/02 storm and then it snowed (and accumulated) Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, which was pretty much the best holiday weather you could ask for. I'm baised towards December/holiday snowfalls, and December 2013 basically sucked IMBY. Then you had 2/6-7/03 followed by PDII. While it didn't have the record breaking cold of 2014, 02/03 seemed to be consistently colder. Some of it too is just nostalgia- I have a lot of great memories of the Feb. 2003 snows. The lack of the monster 12-18+ snowstorm this season means it will be forever stuck at #4.

(don't get me wrong though, I liked this winter a lot!)

I was in State College for 02-03 and had over 80" that winter, which included only about 16-18 from PDII. This winter has been fun, but its not even close when I compare based solely on snowfall.

I was in State College as well in 02-03.  Were we PSU classmates?  Had measurable snow every month from October-April that year in Happy Valley.  White Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter.  Mostly made up for the absolutely dismal 99-00, 00-01 and 01-02 years up there.  

But I still rank 13-14 higher just for personal reasons.  Got to enjoy it with my kids, track the storms, etc...  

02-03 was the first HECS i after really tracked with models,people on the board, etc. THe Precip Maps were  unlike anything i had seen before. I still remember some of my threads

12z GFS nukes DC and got yelled at VBall4life for taking nuclear war lightly

i was immature then:)

But I still rank 13-14 higher just for personal reasons. Got to enjoy it with my kids, track the storms, etc...

We're on the same page. My younger kids adored this winter. My legs got a workout on the hill. They we're only 5 in 09-10.

I'm a here and now person. I don't get sentimental about much so 02-03 seems like a lifetime ago and while it was a great winter, my memories will hold this one above it until the next big one comes along next year.

Everybody views their world their own way. There are no wrong answers. I liked this winter more than 09-10 for the duration and constant mental exercise. Nobody can tell me I'm wrong because it's not about that. Heck, I would have gladly traded 09-10 to spread out the totals over the next 3 pretty awful years. People think I'm crazy for saying that. I am crazy but not because of that.

wasn't here -- have no idea what the snow totals were for Parkton in 02/03 so hard to say which is better. I voted I wasn't here in 2002-03, but I think I would have liked that winter better, mainly due to the fact PD2 was pretty awesome (so I've heard).

I probably got more snow this winter though it's close (didn't measure most events in 02-03), and the cold clearly wins this year (well I was often at Millersville where it was actually colder than 02-03, home I'm less sure about).

It felt like a good old-fashioned midwest winter with bitter cold, lots of snowstorms (more than any other winter I can recall), but not much of a full-fledged area-wide HECS this time, which is fine.... I never expected one anyways and 2/13 was good enough.

2002-03 was colder at Millersville, though not by a ton....2002-03 was colder than 2013-14 for DC/Balt metro everywhere..

I'm pretty sure there is nowhere in the east where 2013-14 was colder

attachicon.gif2002-03.png

attachicon.gif2013-14.png

this is the first winter I remember getting historic amounts without having "that storm". Maybe 1987 too. EPIC winters need one epic storm IMO. Many would argue this winter about which storm was the best. There was no such argument in 02-03 or 95-96

It was door to door -nao. December looks like an icebox with the height anoms and tc's. Considering how anomalous the nao was in dec i have a feeling it was dry and really cold.

there was a big storm in December near Christmas time...6-10" deal...the 2 more big storms..an 8-12" in January and another 8-12" in February

I'm pretty sure there is nowhere in the east where 2013-14 was colder

attachicon.gif2002-03.png

attachicon.gif2013-14.png

Thanks.... I think the December torch screwed things up as far as overall departures, and I wonder how a Jan-Feb comparison would look. 02-03 probably had fewer thaws, but I don't recall all the sub-20 highs and subzero lows that many of us had this year.

there was a big storm in December near Christmas time...6-10" deal...the 2 more big storms..an 8-12" in January and another 8-12" in February

Dec '63 was obscenely cold in the central and eastern US...one of the all timers.

Thanks.... I think the December torch screwed things up as far as overall departures, and I wonder how a Jan-Feb comparison would look. 02-03 probably had fewer thaws, but I don't recall all the sub-20 highs and subzero lows that many of us had this year.

I don't remember a lot of details from when I was 11 years old either

Archived