joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/17-3/18 Storm Threat Discussion

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's going to have to thread an increasingly narrowing needle given no blocking and climo. I suppose it's possible we get snow from this but I would hedge against it for now.

This setup looks rather favorable, even for sections further south and east, and along the coast. When referring to climo around this time of the year, one is typically implying temp/p-type issues, however, at least one thing is very clear at this point, and that is an artic airmass will be entrenched over the Great Lakes, to the Northeast. So while normally I'd agree that climo is working against us, I'm much less concerned about it in this pattern. What I am concerned about is timing, and getting the vort to eject early enough such that it is not completely suppressed.

I am pretty sure, the climo arugument is not as useful this winter. Having a strong PV to your north, in any month, will produce condusive conditions for snow.

I can assure you a strong PV not matter its strength will NOT produce snow along the coast in the summer months :lol:

Any way setup looks pretty good right now, we just have to iron out the timing and strength of the shortwaves

I am pretty sure, the climo arugument is not as useful this winter. Having a strong PV to your north, in any month, will produce condusive conditions for snow.

A too strong PV will crush a storm to the south, which is what happened twice this winter. Figuring out the lobes and vorts rotating around the PV is the most difficult part of forecasting large storms where one is present. A badly placed lobe can crush a storm easily, as is what happened a week and a half ago.

A too strong PV will crush a storm to the south, which is what happened twice this winter. Figuring out the lobes and vorts rotating around the PV is the most difficult part of forecasting large storms where one is present. A badly placed lobe can crush a storm easily, as is what happened a week and a half ago.

Which can easily happen in January too.

Look at the banter thread.

Nevermind just saw it on cbs2ny.com

Back to the weather, suppression is a viable concern with this storm as the PV looks again to be far enough south to have adverse effects on the eventual strength and track of this storm. May cause some weenies around here to flashback 9 days ago

Suppression I think is the real fear here. I don't think mixing would be much of an issue if the storm was to become reality. The climo argument that is stated ad nauseum, doesn't really come into play when we have an anomalous airmass in place. There is nothing climo about the progged airmass, so the solution won't be either

Things will get more interesting later if the Euro comes in better looking like the NAM.

But it's the NAM outside of its range. We need the energy underneath to be more

consolidated so it doesn't get easily suppressed by the PV. The problem with the

system that got suppressed last week was that it was too weak and strung out 

with the PV suppressed flow. 

12z NAM

nam_namer_084_500_vort_ht.gif

versus 12z GFS

gfs_namer_084_500_vort_ht.gif

You want this that southern stream wave to eject faster like the NAM shows, otherwise you can end up with something similar to what we're getting today. It's going to take a deep long wave trough that amplifies up the coast at exactly the right time to deliver the goods in this pattern.

You want this that southern stream wave to eject faster like the NAM shows, otherwise you can end up with something similar to what we're getting today. It's going to take a deep long wave trough that amplifies up the coast at exactly the right time to deliver the goods in this pattern.

I disagree. Unless we can get a substantial system to form, any disturbance is going to be sheared off the southeast US coast. I'm looking for as much energy to consolidate as possible.

I disagree. Unless we can get a substantial system to form, any disturbance is going to be sheared off the southeast US coast. I'm looking for as much energy to consolidate as possible.

I'm confused by your comment.

If this did eject into a powerful long wave trough with a deep system it wouldn't get sheared out. That's the beauty of phased systems.

I'm confused by your comment.

If this did eject into a powerful long wave trough with a deep system it wouldn't get sheared out. That's the beauty of phased systems.

Sorry, misunderstanding on my part. I thought you meant that dwindling piece of energy over Texas at hour 72. The NAM holds it back and phases it with the northern shortwave diving in, which would be helpful in amplifying the whole system imo.

Archived