joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/17-3/18 Storm Threat Discussion

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 12z Euro looks very good aloft to me by 120hr. We don't need all that southern stream energy for a decent storm.

Strongly agree. The broad trough underneath the elongated PV is a classic look for our area. If we see this idea for a few more cycles I think it will be fair to start getting a little bit more excited about the prospects of a winter storm here. 

Even though the Euro verbatim shows a few inches of snow into Upstate NY verbatim we'd probably see next to nothing. Plenty of dry air to the north of us and the steadier precipitation barely makes it in here.

Steadier precip makes it to NYC and especially LI.

How about the storm this week which kept trending north and north, do you forget that? Each setup is different. 

You're missing the point.

Anytime you have the PV to the north you're going to be fighting dry air to the north.

In spite of the Euro showing light to moderate precip over the area it's probably mostly virga or stuff that will get eaten alive in reality. We need this to track north like the GGEM shows.

Strongly agree. The broad trough underneath the elongated PV is a classic look for our area. If we see this idea for a few more cycles I think it will be fair to start getting a little bit more excited about the prospects of a winter storm here. 

But if all the energy is injected out, wouldn't it produce a more intense southern vort which would have more access to moisture, thus creating a more potent storm?

We're discussing the Euro verbatim.

Obviously the GGEM was about as perfect as possible for our region.

The Euro verbatim isnt the final solution- merely a trend , an indictor , a signpost along the road. In this case a positive step forward. we monitor for th enext 48 hours and if GGEM & ECM are continuing to improve UPTON will likely continue to look at a blend of both for a road map to this event

The Euro verbatim isnt the final solution- merely a trend , an indictor , a signpost along the road. In this case a positive step forward. we monitor for th enext 48 hours and if GGEM & ECM are continuing to improve UPTON will likely continue to look at a blend of both for a road map to this event

Nobody said that what the Euro shows is what's going to happen. I don't understand the premise of your post.

I don't see what the problem is with the euro. It just came further north with a secs for the area.

It's not a problem, it was a good trend. Just pointing out that it was a brush at best. Don't be over zealous on QPF totals. PV to the north means dry air to the north. We need a track north of what the Euro shows.

Nobody said that what the Euro shows is what's going to happen. I don't understand the premise of your post.

Do you have to be either  uber agressive or defensive??! The premise of my post is obvious : what the Euro showed was a good step in the right direction. PERIOD.

Right now I'd bet on some sort of Euro/GGEM blend.  If the GGEM starts a radical shift south like it showed for the March 3rd system, I'd worry about suppression.

With the March 3rd system the GGEM pulled one run like what it did today before it quickly dismissed. It was encouraging to see the Euro have the same general idea.

Archived