joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
ST Patricks Day Storm discussion

Ji

• Replies 828
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All in all positive changes on the GFS.    Naso on the Euro.   Two steps forward, one step back.   Although I think 12z Euro hooks us up.   0z GGEM from last night is like if Ji programmed it....it's not gonna happen so it should come down to reality. 

even though the globals have entered a range where they have significantly increasing skill, this storm is so tricky, I think there will be less resolution of the progression than usual....GFS has a surface low spinning in virtually the same place for 48 hours....Euro has back to back coastal lows 24 hours apart...these late season storms are really tricky for a number of reasons....I don't think we should give too much credit to the models...even at this range...as far as the euro versus the GFS, hypothetically since we don't know the solution at all....if one model has a storm that hits us 145 runs in a row and loses it for 1 run, and the other model is completely clueless until 72 hours out, and then when it does hit us, it is the most outlandish progression ever,  I don't think you switch positions..Euro is the way to go on this storm...it has much higher resolution, it deals with coastals better, it deals with southern stream interaction and phasing better, it has been fairly steady with the general idea for days now....i don't think what the GFS shows is particularly useful yet....and it may not be useful at any range...doesn't mean the euro is right...but I would certainly defer to it if I was formulating ideas and relaying them to people...since it is Thursday and we are the only ones who really care and being "right" is unimportant, I don't think it matters a whole lot anyway....

My personal thoughts is that initial first surge will start to look better and better, but not all the energy will come out, itll be far from a HECS like the 00z GGEM, but I could see a 4-8" from DC to Philly. 

DC avgs 0.2" of snow Mar 17 onward.. so that's my initial target. 

DC avgs 0.2" of snow Mar 17 onward.. so that's my initial target. 

exactly..what is the point in having personal thoughts when nobody has a clue what is going to happen....might as well just go with climo...IF we have a storm, sharp gradient, and good chance DC gets screwed and it will be tough to forecast the gradient

exactly..what is the point in having personal thoughts when nobody has a clue what is going to happen....might as well just go with climo...IF we have a storm, sharp gradient, and good chance DC gets screwed and it will be tough to forecast the gradient

I think given the cold still around we are probably lagging climo a bit, though even 4-8" in DC would be pretty gigantic at this point in the year of course. 

I think given the cold still around we are probably lagging climo a bit, though even 4-8" in DC would be pretty gigantic at this point in the year of course. 

i know you've posted the charts before but can you tell us if there has ever been a 8"+ storm after March 15th?

Archived