• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 11-12th Winter Storm

Chicago Storm

I don't know if I'd say better handle because it's hard to put a lot of trust in a NAM run even at this range. With that being said I think the Euro and GGEM are too far south and specifically the Euro has been too low on QPF here with some recent snow events, as pointed out by cyclone may be an issue with northern extent of cold sector qpf on Euro. The answer probably does lie in between the 2 extremes and 3-6" is more of what I'm expecting for the Chicago metro.

Using the location of the upper level potential vorticity anomaly hook which has worked in other events this winter to foretell more of a northwest track of the surface low does offer that possibility here as well when looking at the 250 mb PVU surface on the 12z GFS and the 12z UKMET.

Thanks. Gonnna be a tough forecast for the LOT area regardless.

• Replies 965
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I posted 4-8" on Facebook just a moment ago for friends and family. I do think there is a higher potential but there is still time to refine the forecast locally.

I'm really interested to see the 18Z NAM before jumping on the big dog bandwagon, as long as the Euro and GFS agree... This will be a small event for SE Michigan.

Thanks. :) Conclusion the same though.

Indeed.

Here's the last 5 runs of the Euro ensembles (and spread), centered on 12z Wednesday...12z runs only for exact comparison. Interesting look, as it continues to narrow the cone. 

March 6 run.

March 7 run.

March 8 run.

March 9 run.

March 10 run.

I've seen enough. I'm enjoying the melt & warmer temperatures. My house is ready to be done with the snow & cold.

Unfortunately my gut tells me this is coming north from what the euro is showing.

I hope it isn't a lot because I got an important place to be early in the morning that can't be postponed. If it was a weekend I could care a bit less.

Expecting to see more shifts tonight and into tomorrow even.

Winter storm watch down by Kankakee.

Looks like BUF is paying heed to the 18z NAM. They left the southern tier counties as a Watch while upgrading the counties south of Lake Ontario.

Just got home... almost fell out of my chair after reviewing the 18z NAM. The model discrepancy is unreal. The euro ENS have ~0.35" of QPF in and around YYZ. They have been pretty consistent with this number over the last few runs but they were also consistent for the early Jan event which the meso's handled much better inside ~48hrs(big NW shift).

Just got home... almost fell out of my chair after reviewing the 18z NAM. The model discrepancy is unreal. The euro ENS have ~0.35" of QPF in and around YYZ. They have been pretty consistent with this number over the last few runs but they were also consistent for the early Jan event which the meso's handled much better inside ~48hrs(big NW shift).

Obviously, the NAM is going to back down. I think that's a given. But I think the EURO may be too far south with the storm. Probably a good time to go with a compromise solution like the RGEM or GFS. Still a solid 6"+ event though.

Archived