NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC

903 PM EST THU MAR 6 2014

DCZ001-MDZ009-013-014-018-VAZ029-040-042-052>054-501-071015-

/O.EXB.KLWX.WW.Y.0016.140307T1100Z-140307T1900Z/

DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA-MONTGOMERY-PRINCE GEORGES-ANNE ARUNDEL-

CALVERT-PAGE-RAPPAHANNOCK-LOUDOUN-

PRINCE WILLIAM/MANASSAS/MANASSAS PARK-FAIRFAX-

ARLINGTON/FALLS CHURCH/ALEXANDRIA-NORTHERN FAUQUIER-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...WASHINGTON...GAITHERSBURG...ANNAPOLIS...

LEESBURG...MANASSAS...MANASSAS PARK...FAIRFAX...ALEXANDRIA...

FALLS CHURCH...WARRENTON

903 PM EST THU MAR 6 2014

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM TO 2 PM EST

FRIDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON HAS

ISSUED A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR FREEZING RAIN AND SLEET...

WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM TO 2 PM EST FRIDAY.

* PRECIPITATION TYPE...FREEZING RAIN...FREEZING DRIZZLE...AND

SLEET.

* ACCUMULATIONS...LESS THAN A TENTH-INCH OF ICE.

* TIMING...FREEZING DRIZZLE WILL START DURING THE MORNING COMMUTE...

WITH SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN ARRIVING AFTER 9AM. PRECIPITATION

WILL CHANGE OVER TO RAIN FROM EAST TO WEST DURING THE MIDDAY.

* TEMPERATURES...AROUND 30.

* WINDS...NORTHEAST 5 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 MPH.

* IMPACTS...FREEZING PRECIPITATION WILL AFFECT THE FRIDAY

MORNING COMMUTE. ROADS WILL BECOME ICY AND SLICK...ESPECIALLY

BRIDGES AND OVERPASSES.

if precip makes it into our area by 6AM, it's snow, no doubt in my mind

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Precipitation looks like it is hitting a wall. Not budging at all down this way.

and that's basically what the 0Z NAM is showing

the problem is that the u/l low is moving due east so as the precip rotates north, the whole shield moves eastward

you can see the u/l low moving due east, and maybe even a little south of due east

http://weather.rap.ucar.edu/satellite/displaySat.php?region=US&itype=wv&size=large&endDate=20140307&endTime=-1&duration=6

if precip makes it into our area by 6AM, it's snow, no doubt in my mind

maybe, but I don't think that the threat this far north is from the big precip shield to the south.   As indicated by the NAM, it's something that develops locally here due to low-level saturation out ahead of the larger-scale precip.    The very light precip could be generated by low-level water droplet processes instead of ice crystals higher up.

maybe, but I don't think that the threat this far north is from the big precip shield to the south.   As indicated by the NAM, it's something that develops locally here due to low-level saturation out ahead of the larger-scale precip.    The very light precip could be generated by low-level water droplet processes instead of ice crystals higher up.

if they just said freezing drizzle, I'd agree 100%, but they said sleet too

ROA sounding is on top and IAD below....ROA is good to go on snow and IAD can handle warming and still be snow with those wet bulb temps up the column

http://weather.unisys.com/upper_air/skew/skew_KRNK.txt

http://weather.unisys.com/upper_air/skew/skew_KIAD.txt

in the end, I think is all academic as I doubt we see anything of consequence falling

Attack!

Yoda seems to have a hard time grasping forecasting which is odd since he's been here for like 10 years.  Obviously I never said we can't get meager amounts of ice in March. 

That said, models have continued to back off as we close.. so LWX appears to be hedging. There could be some patchy light stuff I suppose. It only takes a trace of ice for an advisory.

If believing the high rez Nam, expect a trace of frozen precip along the Mason-Dixon Line at 09Z along with very isolated scattered very light sleet/freezing rain throughout the region, about 4 am (you could say it looks like a 20% probability that any one area will have a hint of light mixed precip:

and then, towards sunset,  light liquid precip across perhaps 60% of the region, this activity going on for only two to four hours:

Yoda seems to have a hard time grasping forecasting which is odd since he's been here for like 10 years.  Obviously I never said we can't get meager amounts of ice in March. 

That said, models have continued to back off as we close.. so LWX appears to be hedging. There could be some patchy light stuff I suppose. It only takes a trace of ice for an advisory.

I was just playing :(  I remember you said something about not getting ice very much in March when we were like 5 days or so out from the March 3rd storm and it was at that time a sleety/icy mess

I was just playing :( I remember you said something about not getting ice very much in March when we were like 5 days or so out from the March 3rd storm and it was at that time a sleety/icy mess

Yeah when there was talk of a major ice storm I dismissed it and said it would trend snowy if it was that cold a look.

Houston got .25" ice the other day so we certainly could get some ice.

The GFS trended southeast too now.

The challenge with us (DC area / Maryland) getting ZR in the morning is going to be the dry surface air combined with the system barely not missing us. Just sampled some dewpoints on wunderground and it looks like most stations are near 23F. Looking at radar, tilt1 is dry until well into VA, while tilt 3 is showing overrunning precip edging into NoVa already, but based on tilt1, it's not reaching the ground.

HRRR isn't bringing anything significant our way except overrunning moisture that doesn't make it to the ground. Have a feeling this is going to be a non-event, except over Bob Chill's house where there will be at least a foot of ice!

Archived