Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
What is your favorite month and why?

Bob Chill

What's your favorite month and why?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite month and why?

Imo- the worst 30 day stretch is mar 15 - apr 15. It's got nothing to offer. Everyone is yearning for a nice stretch of weather and it rarely happens. It can be dreary, muddy, and wet. Identity crisis period.

Imo-the best 30 day stretch is mar 15-apr 15. It's got everything to offer.  Everyone is yearning for a nice stretch of weather and it happens.  It can be beautiful, sunny, and dry. Cherry blossom period.

All kidding aside, April is my favorite month.  Even weather gurus get sucked into believing the old adage "April showers bring May flowers."  Actually, since 1871, April in DC has averaged just 3.12 inches of precipitation (3.06 during 1981-2010), whereas May has averaged 3.71 inches (3.99 during 1981-2010).  March is in-between, at 3.52 inches (3.48 during 1981-2010).  April's high temperature in DC averages in the 60s and 70s, daylight is stretching out, and baseball returns. What could be better? (Yes, I know -- three feet of snow.)

Imo- the worst 30 day stretch is mar 15 - apr 15. It's got nothing to offer. Everyone is yearning for a nice stretch of weather and it rarely happens. It can be dreary, muddy, and wet. Identity crisis period.

You're completely discounting the rebirth of the outdoors after a long, dead winter? The spring spawning runs? The return of sun dresses? Juices finally flowing again after the stagnating winter?

You're completely discounting the rebirth of the outdoors after a long, dead winter? The spring spawning runs? The return of sun dresses? Juices finally flowing again after the stagnating winter?

Getting into april it gets better. I know there are exceptions but late march and early april have a habit of backdoor cold fronts and windy/chilly days. Once I give up on winter I want to rush to the heart of prime spring weather. We usually don't hit that until mid april. The trees are still barren in late march early april too so a grey day is pretty depressing looking. I'm a big bay fisherman and trophy season doesn't start until mid april and largemouth fishing kinda sucks until the water warms a bit. That's a big determining factor in my disdain for the period. Not that we can't have nice weather. But when it isn't nice I'm bitter. Bitter Bob. 

Short skirts on a warm day is a 10/10 12 months a year. 

Imo-the best 30 day stretch is mar 15-apr 15. It's got everything to offer.  Everyone is yearning for a nice stretch of weather and it happens.  It can be beautiful, sunny, and dry. Cherry blossom period.

All kidding aside, April is my favorite month.  Even weather gurus get sucked into believing the old adage "April showers bring May flowers."  Actually, since 1871, April in DC has averaged just 3.12 inches of precipitation (3.06 during 1981-2010), whereas May has averaged 3.71 inches (3.99 during 1981-2010).  March is in-between, at 3.52 inches (3.48 during 1981-2010).  April's high temperature in DC averages in the 60s and 70s, daylight is stretching out, and baseball returns. What could be better? (Yes, I know -- three feet of snow.)

If there were no baseball, everything would be right with the world!

Getting into april it gets better. I know there are exceptions but late march and early april have a habit of backdoor cold fronts and windy/chilly days. Once I give up on winter I want to rush to the heart of prime spring weather. We usually don't hit that until mid april. The trees are still barren in late march early april too so a grey day is pretty depressing looking. I'm a big bay fisherman and trophy season doesn't start until mid april and largemouth fishing kinda sucks until the water warms a bit. That's a big determining factor in my disdain for the period. Not that we can't have nice weather. But when it isn't nice I'm bitter. Bitter Bob. 

Short skirts on a warm day is a 10/10 12 months a year. 

Just givin you the business...as a kid, I always looked forward to the four mile March hikes to the Potomac river to slay the white perch and crappy. Gonna be a later run this year, I'd think. 

October. I love the color that fall displays. I love the smell of dying leaves. You still get warm days that allow you to do outside activities but you can get the crispness of the winter that is coming. Wanted to get married in October but as the husbands parents were both public school teachers we chose April so Spring Break would give them more time off. 

A true cold lover never gives up on the summer. Once we get into the warmer months I start looking for breath seeing weather. I'll never forget the cold snap we had last August. Woke up at 6 in the morning and it was well into the 40's back in Gaithersburg. I actually started shivering, in the middle of summer. Hands down the single greatest weather day of 2013. 

That said, nothing beats February in the mid-atlantic

Funny. But not a single person voted for August. August is number 2 for me after October. October is obvious. August is great for me I guess because I have a beach house. I love that the summer season is winding down. After the kids go back to school. The beach is basically deserted and the weather is still perfect beach weather. The ocean is as warm as it gets all year at the end of August as well. Its the close of the summer for me and I know we are heading into falls beauty.

Archived