joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Can Snow Accumulate in Early March?

Ralph Wiggum

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With 2m temps in the upper teens and low 20s I can damn near assure u it will accumulate in early march unless we are talking flurries or something ridiculously light.

look, I am cer4tainly not saying we won't see accumulating snow.  In fact, I am guessing we will, and a fair amount as well.  I just think that based on time of year and rates as modeled the 16-18" output from those maps are a bit generous.  that is all I am saying

If this was a true coastal with high rates, the 16-18" would make sense.  Not with an overunning event

It also has temps in the low 20s during that time

If temps are that cold it will pretty much accumulate no matter what, even if the rates are light. Look at today for example. The sun angle influence, while definitely an issue when the temp is near freezing in March/April and rates are light, is greatly overstated by some on here.

look, I am cer4tainly not saying we won't see accumulating snow.  In fact, I am guessing we will, and a fair amount as well.  I just think that based on time of year and rates as modeled the 16-18" output from those maps are a bit generous.  that is all I am saying

If this was a true coastal with high rates, the 16-18" would make sense.  Not with an overunning event

you should've been more careful in making a statement regarding sun angle and QPF over a time period in march and a VERY cold air mass during the storm. the 16-18" snowfall is not far fetched at all

look, I am cer4tainly not saying we won't see accumulating snow. In fact, I am guessing we will, and a fair amount as well. I just think that based on time of year and rates as modeled the 16-18" output from those maps are a bit generous. that is all I am saying

If this was a true coastal with high rates, the 16-18" would make sense. Not with an overunning event

How is the snow not going to accumulate during the day with temps in the upper teens and low 20s?? Please explain

Can meaningful lasting snow pack be created in March, i dont think so. On the ground for a few days, yes, Weeks.. no way.

That normally has to do with the fact that average temps are getting toward and over 50F as March progresses. If March were to be very cold with temps well below normal and a lot of snowfall, then it could stay on the ground for more than a few days. 

I love how people act like if on March 1st, the sun angle goes up like 30 degrees in a day, as some shocking phenomena has occurred compared to February 28th. 

How is the snow not going to accumulate during the day with temps in the upper teens and low 20s?? Please explain

I think I get what he/she is saying and I agree to some extent wrt this upcoming event, depending on your location. Snow will easily accumulate given cold progged temps for most of the event, but assuming it's a drawn-out, impulsive train of precip like some models are suggesting, the sun will come out and your storm total will compact/melt in between bouts of heavier snow. Where combined 6-hourly measurements might yield 12-18", you will probably have noticeably less than that at the end of the storm.

I think I get what he/she is saying and I agree to some extent wrt this upcoming event, depending on your location. Snow will easily accumulate given cold progged temps for most of the event, but assuming it's a drawn-out, impulsive train of precip like some models are suggesting, the sun will come out and your storm total will compact/melt in between bouts of heavier snow. Where combined 6-hourly measurements might yield 12-18", you will probably have noticeably less than that at the end of the storm.

I don't see the sun coming out. But during any break in the snow , we could see some melting but probably not much at all with temps like that.

Speaking in model output not end result bc this is still too far out.

sublimation.

The solar radiation is stroner and stronger eveyday as we approach spring. And I am not saying it won't accumulate, I am just saying not as much as the maps of the model output would have you believe

http://www.theweatherprediction.com/habyhints/203/

Archived