joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Can Snow Accumulate in Early March?

Ralph Wiggum

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I said on the other thread, it's really a very simple equation: accumulation rate = snowfall rate - snow melt rate. 

The snow melt rate is a function of the surface temp, the amount of UV radiation reaching the ground (a function of cloud cover), what type of surface and how much UV it absorbs. The only one of those variables affected by the time of year is the amount of UV radiation reaching the ground during the day, which obviously increases with increasing sun angle.  So, all other things being equal, the melting rate at midday in early March will be much greater than the melting rate at midday in early January (and at all times throughout the day, comparatively speaking), meaning the accumulation rate will be significantly less in early March at midday for two identical storms producing the same snowfall rate. 

I don't know that exact melting rate at midday in early March, via measurement, but I do know that, typically, "light" snow (say about 1/4" per hour) tends to melt as fast as it falls, i.e., it does not accumulate at all at 32F in early March, while light snow will accumulate at 32F in early January.  This effect is exacerbated for paved/dark surfaces like asphalt (I'd guess 3/8" per hour will melt on asphalt at midday in early March); however, keep in mind that the asphalt effect disappears once a layer of snow is established, such that the UV radiation is no longer absorbed by the pavement.  Obviously, in an April snowstorm, during the day, it better be snowing at least moderately for much accumuation to occur, but even if it's snowing at 2" per hour at 32F, probably close to 1/2" per hour is melting, but nobody is likely noticing that, lol. 

Yes it sure can. Discuss here and keep it out of the storm thread as it is becoming unreadable.

Nope clearly not possible

Snow can accumulate in May if snowfall rates are high.

As late as April 6-7, 1982 we had about 10" of powdery snow fall and accumulate. In terms of recent storms, March 2, 2009 comes to mind. Last March we had a couple that accumulated before changeover to rain.

Archived