joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 3-5 Event

windvane

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess they should....shouldn't they? Maybe the models are overestimating. (wishful thinking)

Actually the models have been consistently too fast most of the winter bringing those arctic air masses down, it has not been by alot but its generally been the case they have been 6-8 hours or so too quick, in this event that could make a difference.

The northern shift has helped us a lot this year so hopefully we can have this come just a tick or two north late in the game but this south trend needs to stop and stop right now! Its crazy that in march we are worrying about cold suppression from the PV. What a crazy winter!

Actually the models have been consistently too fast most of the winter bringing those arctic air masses down, it has not been by alot but its generally been the case they have been 6-8 hours or so too quick, in this event that could make a difference.

That's what I was thinking...that would be huge.

All I see is the watch that was posted at 4:02am

I'm basically the Philly area...15miles NW but could make a difference. It was listed on my Horsham PA weather underground page.

Statement as of 3:34 PM EST on March 01, 2014

... Winter Storm Watch now in effect from Sunday evening through

Monday afternoon...

* locations... the Interstate 95 corridor from northeastern

Maryland up through the Philadelphia area to central New Jersey.

Also, the northern part of coastal New Jersey.

* Hazard types... mainly snow with some sleet and freezing rain

possible.

* Accumulations... snow accumulations generally up to 6 to 10

inches with up to 5 hundredths of an inch of ice possible.

* Timing... a mix of rain, sleet and snow should develop on Sunday

afternoon with some freezing rain possible in the evening. The

mixed precipitation should change to all snow on Sunday night.

The snow will become moderate to heavy at times and it is

expected to continue on into Monday morning before ending on

Monday afternoon.

* Winds... from the north increasing to 10 to 20 mph with gusts up

to 25 mph.

* Temperatures... falling from the upper 30s and lower 40s on

Sunday afternoon to the lower and middle 20s for late Sunday

night into Monday.

* Impacts... the snow, sleet and freezing rain will create

hazardous driving conditions. Monday morning's commute will be

particularly difficult.

* Following the storm... near record cold is possible late on

Monday night as temperatures drop to between 5 and 12 degrees

above zero.

Precautionary/preparedness actions...

A Winter Storm Watch means that there is a potential for

significant snow, sleet or ice accumulations that may impact

travel. Continue to monitor the latest forecasts.

Just way too close for anyone to call anything definitively....again models are guidance not a forecast. I like the current NWS snow maps - they can and will change again by tomorrow. A subtle shift of 20 miles N or S could be the difference between 4" and 12"....I am most certainly in the camp that a jog North will likely occur by 12z tomorrow morning. I expect the final outcome to be very close to what we had this AM. Still thinking in the 8" to 12" range for NW Chesco by the time the storm exits. Storms like this make me respect the job the professionals do!

the 18Z RGEM is cracked out with how far north it is Monday AM, its also too far south I think from 21-06z tomorrow afternoon and evening...the thermal gradient would suggest any snow before that time is 40-50 miles or so further north...the RGEM has some funky 06 and 18Z runs and this was probably one of them.

And most of that "spending" is based on the idea we had of a 6" to 12" event. Mitchell Gaines' nightmare of an area that misses out on the first wave due to temps, and is too far north to get much from the 2nd wave, would be the worst case scenario at this point. I'm preparing myself for the possibility that we wind up with less than 6" if the trends continue. The next level after that is something to shovel.

If we get more, great, if not then as everyone has been saying it has been an amazing winter.

I don't think this is the last hurrah, either. And I'm still watching this one of course... :weenie:

For you and everyone south of Philly including South Jersey, yes, you're due to be in the jackpot zone! I hope you get 12" or more!

I still think the jackpot axis just north of the Mason Dixon line would be good for all, no? :lmao:

This is what the NAM is saying and its a big scary, but for now I'll try to think the NAM is overdone and take My Holly's totals and run with the,

Highzenberg ur road trips crack me up you truly are a snow weenie (I mean that in a good way). I wish had the time and gas money to do it man but I'd wait til 00z to plan where I was going. Not sayin cape may wont do well but I just have a gut feeling that this baby's gonna come a little north and jackpot closer to our area. Thats probably just wishful thinking and has no meteorological basis but i just have a feeling about it and thats the way these storms have tended to unfold this winter. Well see though, either way have a safe trip man.

Archived