CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Much Colder Than Normal March Pattern Continues

bluewave

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's 11F in Old Bridge and will slip into single digits shortly. I can't believe it's going to be March 1st tomorrow. there are winters where temperatures don't go this low in January.

Back in the 90s there was 19 in cpk for the coldest low of the winter on New Years. Here we are in meteo spring crushing that

The Euro seems to have an awful handle on the upper atmosphere after the passage of this weekend's system. I don't expect complete run-to-run continuity, but the differences at 500 mb going into next week are remarkable from 12z. More tangibly, about the only thing that remained constant was the big storm developing in the Gulf of Mexico on the 6th. It's an incredibly slow-mover: the surface low develops south of NOLA at hour 156, and emerges from OBX at 204. Hopefully there will be something to track.

Dewpoint JFK Airport -17 F at 2 AM (negative 17 F!)...!).....I don't know about what type of record keeping for this sort of thing is done...but I can't recall one that low around here in quite a while.

@ 3 AM

Dyker Hieghts   9F DP -  9  Euro forecasted low of 3

Colts Neck        7F - DP - 5  Euro forecasted low of 1

Tuesdays Morning March 4 ths  forecasted low of -3 around town ,even  if off by 10 degrees will break the March record at KNYC .

It`s likely to happen on top of 12 to 15 inches of snow cover .

Guess at this time is 14 inches of snow with slight chance at 18-23 inches.  Looks to stay below freezing for highs straight through 3/10 after tis weekend's 32-35 degree high.  No days above 40 until 3/20 or later at best based on MJO and frigid air parked near us for almost the next three weeks.  Wonder if we get a rank 1 or rank 2 March for coldest average temps and snow.  Can we have a negative 12 to 16 average monthly stat in the books after March is over ?? Can we do it ??  Do we have -5 F lows next Tuesday with single digit highs with full sun that day.  Would be historical if we pull it off....  Looks like we are spending the first half of March in historical territory potential, with once in a lifetime odds being pushed. The 0Z 2/28 GFS is close to historical March 1-15 as we can get,look at it yourself and have to agree.  I bet April turns very warm inland, and chilly / foggy near the coast due to frigid waters, which will take forever to get above 40, likely sometime in early May.  Spring is going to suck near the coast, but could be very nice well inland to our west and SW... Wait till late May for anything nice near the coast.

This morning's low temperature of 9° was the first single-digit reading this late in the season since March 19, 1967 when the mercury fell to 8°.

Don , if we break the 96 snow record , and the CFSV2 is right with its -5C for  March  this is the new benchmark . 2013- 2014 , between the cold and snow out do 77- 78 IMO .

Don , if we break the 96 snow record , and the CFSV2 is right with its -5C for March this is the new benchmark . 2013- 2014 , between the cold and snow out do 77- 78 IMO .

Who wouldve thought in november we'd be talking about maybe having one of the most coldest and snowiest winters in history with the teleconnectors we had. The -EPO was the work horse and was impressive from start to finish paul, a winter worthy of telling my kid(s)

Who wouldve thought in november we'd be talking about maybe having one of the most coldest and snowiest winters in history with the teleconnectors we had. The -EPO was the work horse and was impressive from start to finish paul, a winter worthy of telling my kid(s)

I do feel awful about the flooding that`s going to take place for those poor people in Midwest once we get into April . There`s feet of ice that have to melt  , that water is gona flood all the low lands there .  The army corp of engineers should try and get ahead of this .

PB is that CFSv2 showing a one foot snowpack for the bulk of NJ through April 9? I'd say that's one heck of a cold signal. I'm on my mobile and can't make out the map well.

1 is the other 3 still have 6 inches of  snow on the ground  , March against the averages may turn out to be the coldest winter month of em all .

Archived