joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 12-13 Finale Observations Part 3

Amped

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

35.8 here in Crystal City (across from DCA)

Winds switched from the SW/SE to the NW and the temperature dropped 1 degree in 20 minutes. 

Hopefully by the time the ULL gets here the Low pressure center will have pulled far enough away to the NNE that the winds will stay from the NW.  

I noticed that seems to be making all the difference in the world between snow in Roanoke, Charlotte, and Raleigh...and the rain occurring around the Richmond area.

don't know about that. I have had pure N or NW winds all day. Still do....just a serious warm level inside those heavy bands.

Temps look unfortunately similar in Richmond as the are currently in Arlington.  Gonna need a prayer to squeak this one out.

If the NAM is to be believed then RIC's sounding was above 0C practically up to the mesosphere at 18Z. Their column should be cold enough for snow by 4pm. DCA isn't in nearly as bad of shape.  

don't know about that. I have had pure N or NW winds all day. Still do....just a serious warm level inside those heavy bands.

That's a great point...I'm wondering if the direction in which the precip is traveling has something to do with the difference between rain and snow with the ULL....I've noticed that the precip in Roanoke is moving from the NW to the SE counter clockwise around the center of the ULL.... and that the rain and thunder around Richmond is moving from the SE to the NW

3:00 Winchester, VA. Second shovel

Light snow 29 degrees

Total snow: 20.5

Just shoveled driveway for second time. I picked up one inch of concrete since 11 this morning. Taking my total to 20.5. Very wet snow this time. Snow has started to pick up again. Hope to get another 2 inches before it ends.

Snow Piles:

post-1681-0-50840400-1392321902_thumb.jp

post-1681-0-78556700-1392321951_thumb.jp

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night my ass. No way the mailman makes it to my house today.

post-1681-0-91586400-1392322017_thumb.jp

To your point about the midlevels....I really think that has those heavier bands of precip are rotating counter clockwise on the right side of the ULL, that it is dragging/transporting warmer air at the mid levels from the SE. 

makes sense...something has cuased our temps to spike. Up 3 degrees now in under 45 min.

Given where some of the models are forecasting the heavy stuff to set up, would seem that this should be reversed.

I've noticed that the Metro Buses are back in operation, and that traffic has picked up quite a bit on the main roads here in Crystal City....IF we do get the high end of the ULL, that might cause many problems....maybe folks are jumping the gun on giving the proverbial "All Clear" signal.

Archived