Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
February 12-13 Storm IV, Model Discussion

stormtracker

here's the 12z mos for ROA from the Euro through 0Z

THU 12Z 13-FEB  -2.8    -1.8    1007      90      92    0.00     546     540    THU 18Z 13-FEB   0.8    -3.9    1001      86     100    0.16     539     538    FRI 00Z 14-FEB   0.0    -3.9    1002      82      55    0.10     538     536    

here's what has fallen thru 1PM:

http://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KROA.html

here's their current radar:

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=fcx&product=N0R&overlay=11101111&loop=no

I think we do better than what Euro Mos shows

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would agree with this almost 100% of the time but the pass is a bit south for them IMO. Not saying I think DCA will jackpot. I'm just not convinced this particular one is a NW kind of deal. 

I believe 12z EURO made the h5 pass just to our SE?  RGEM would be like if everything went right and the snow gods were honoring us kind of pass to get those totals

He didn't actually say bullseye, just when he drew his map with the 3-6 area, we were smack dab in the middle of it. He's a no nosense guy. I'm in.

Alright, what did he say about surface temperatures or the current showery nature of the precipitation? It seems to me we need a consolidated mod-heavy band to get real accumulation given the circumstances.

Lets have a Fairfax-DC death band ;)

But yeah, that usually happens... hope we can get it to sweep through us

It really looks like that's what we're going to end up with, something like a VA-495 east to the bay band for the heaviest QPF? The convective bands down along the James river are a nice touch too. Kinda feels like the H5 low is rubbing salt in my eyes.

It really looks like that's what we're going to end up with, something like a VA-495 east to the bay band for the heaviest QPF? The convective bands down along the James river are a nice touch too. Kinda feels like the H5 low is rubbing salt in my eyes.

Now that's funny. No sooner do I hit "Post" and go back to Radarscope in hopes of seeing salvation than I see SPC's discussion and region outline. 

post-1253-0-55972800-1392318063_thumb.pn

Now that's funny. No sooner do I hit "Post" and go back to Radarscope in hopes of seeing salvation than I see SPC's discussion and region outline. 

yay!  lol

That would truly be a miracle if somehow we score and N and W areas don't.  I hope they get in too, but it would just seem.....odd.

Hmmm... thundersnow?

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0102   NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK   1243 PM CST THU FEB 13 2014   AREAS AFFECTED...NW/N-CNTRL NC...SRN/ERN VA...SRN MD   CONCERNING...HEAVY SNOW    VALID 131843Z - 132345Z   SUMMARY...AN AREA OF MODERATE SNOWFALL CURRENTLY LOCATED ACROSS WRN   VA AND WRN/CNTRL NC IS EXPECTED TO MOVE NEWD WHILE INCREASING IN   COVERAGE AND INTENSITY. LOCALLY HEAVY SNOWFALL /WITH RATES IN EXCESS   OF 1 INCH/HR/ IS EXPECTED...PARTICULARLY ACROSS CNTRL VA BETWEEN   18-21Z AND WRN VA/SRN MD BETWEEN 21Z-00Z.   DISCUSSION...A SHORTWAVE TROUGH IS EXPECTED TO PIVOT NEWD ACROSS THE   SERN QUADRANT OF THE MAIN UPPER LOW...INDUCING A NEGATIVE TILT TO   THE UPPER LOW AND INCREASING ITS NEWD PROGRESSION. AS THIS   OCCURS...UPPER LOW WILL APPROACH THE ELONGATED SURFACE LOW OFF NRN   MID-ATLANTIC/SRN NEW ENGLAND COAST. THIS WILL LEAD TO RAPID   DEEPENING OF THE ENTIRE SYSTEM WITH A SUBSTANTIAL INCREASE IN   MID-LEVEL LIFT ACROSS THE NRN MID-ATLANTIC THIS EVENING INTO   TONIGHT.   AS A RESULT OF THE OVERALL NEWD PROGRESSION OF THE SYSTEM AND   INCREASED LIFT...AREA OF MODERATE SNOWFALL CURRENTLY ACROSS WRN VA   AND WRN/CNTRL NC IS EXPECTED TO MOVE NEWD WHILE INCREASING IN   COVERAGE AND INTENSITY. LOCALLY HEAVY SNOWFALL WITH RATES IN EXCESS   OF 1 INCH/HR IS POSSIBLE...PARTICULARLY ACROSS CNTRL VA BETWEEN   18-21Z AND WRN VA/SRN MD BETWEEN 21Z-00Z. ADDITIONALLY...SOME OF THE   GUIDANCE INDICATES TEMPERATURES WILL COOL QUICK ENOUGH ABOVE 700 MB   TO SUPPORT 700-500 MB LAPSE RATES AOA 7 DEG C PER KM. RESULTANT   ELEVATED INSTABILITY MAY SUPPORT EMBEDDED CONVECTIVE   ELEMENTS...INCREASING THE CONFIDENCE OF LOCALLY HEAVY SNOWFALL.

Archived