northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
February 12-13 Storm IV, Model Discussion

stormtracker

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably means it'll just outright fail now. 

I think most folks figured it would be icing on whatever cake we got prior. The prior cake was quite delicious.. so, eh.  I'd take it but no major loss if it doesn't happen. 

We need rates no matter what around here. DCA is going to be like 5+ above forecast highs at this rate. White rain doesn't stick to much well. If I'm not looking at big bands I have little hope.

I guess one good point is that snow will probably stick to snow  - but bare surfaces with rising temps will be in trouble. 

We need rates no matter what around here. DCA is going to be like 5+ above forecast highs at this rate. White rain doesn't stick to much well. If I'm not looking at big bands I have little hope.

I agree that rates are important, we need good dendrite growth to accumulate on pavement/bare surfaces in the mid/upper 30s..which I assume should be no problem within the deform band itself.

I'm more worried about the band whiffing us to the east, rather than sfc temps. We have a foot of fresh snow covering everything...snow will ways stick to snow.

I guess one good point is that snow will probably stick to snow - but bare surfaces with rising temps will be in trouble.

I'm not really sure what that means. If it's 35 and we don't have rates snow won't stick to snow very well. The development southwest is good so far. Though at least some modeling keeps it fairly compact as far as the quality stuff. I don't think it can't happen.. I'm more not sure why anyone is super confident about it dropping a lot more just yet.

I agree that rates are important, we need good dendrite growth to accumulate in the mid/upper 30s..which I assume should be no problem within the deform band itself.

I'm more worried about the band whiffing us to the east, rather than sfc temps. We have a foot of fresh snow covering everything.

Yeah me too hopefully the euro/gfs depiction of band location is correct

I'm not really sure what that means. If it's 35 and we don't have rates snow won't stick to snow very well. The development southwest is good so far. Though at least some modeling keeps it fairly compact as far as the quality stuff. I don't think it can't happen.. I'm more not sure why anyone is super confident about it dropping a lot more just yet.

My thoughts are 1-2 tops at this point. We really are torching right now, though. I do wonder if once the low really intensifies off the coast if we get the winds a little bit more out of the NW if we can cool even just a little bit. 

Are you sure about that? I've seen it snow at 37-38 degrees in Oakland MD, and stick easily to the underlying snowpack while melting upon contact with bare surfaces.

Archived