• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
0z Models 2/12/2014 | Potential Major Coastal Storm

user13

Im looking on instant weather maps and it looks okay to me, 850's look fine, in looking at critical thicknesses though it appears somewhere from 1000-850 there is a warm punch in there. This reflects well on the total snowfall maps.

would that warm pouch lead to sleet and is therefore counted as snow by the model?

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NAM does develop a pretty intense comma head on the backside, if that comma head develops over us, we could see some really serious snows.. Most models show this moving NNE, which means it would crawl through while really blossoming.. I'm really excited for two things.. An epic front end dump, then a surprising back end comma head.. did you see the 18zgfs it really explodes the CCB right over northern CT putting 1.00"+ in 6hrs just from that backend.. 

would that warm pouch lead to sleet and is therefore counted as snow by the model?

Absolutely.... however as others have stated most is over by the time this becomes an issue.

But as future reference when looking at snowfall maps, the algortihms aren't perfect and as an example with our ice storm last week, short range models (HRRR/RAP) were showing 8+ snow in areas that STARTED off with sleet (ahem my house lol)

Well I guess you pick your poison. You want more front end snow but no potential wraparound CCB or you want less front end snow with the potential for more in the wraparound. Mt. Holly has 6-10 in the watch and they've been dead on this entire winter and that sounds like a good call. It'll fall right in line with all our other 6-8/10" storms this winter. 

NAM does develop a pretty intense comma head on the backside, if that comma head develops over us, we could see some really serious snows.. Most models show this moving NNE, which means it would crawl through while really blossoming.. I'm really excited for two things.. An epic front end dump, then a surprising back end comma head.. did you see the 18zgfs it really explodes the CCB right over northern CT putting 1.00"+ in 6hrs just from that backend.. 

It was extremely impressive so maybe it's not such a bad thing to wish for a super powerfully amped/phased system that closes off. 

The NAM is the weenie version of the nam though. So that would make the 4knam bratwurst?

The thing is it is usually good with temps esp in storms, but we dont know how accurate the low placement is. So until other models show a similar placement we cant rely on its temps yet

The NAM was eye candy for sure, but let's wait for other guidance tonight before calling a trend back SE. We need the kicker to have a strong influence on the southern trough before it amplifies out of control. It's good though that the NAM seemed to have the new data ingested.

Did the NAM have the new N SW data in it ?

The NAM was eye candy for sure, but let's wait for other guidance tonight before calling a trend back SE. We need the kicker to have a strong influence on the southern trough before it amplifies out of control. It's good though that the NAM seemed to have the new data ingested.

Yeah we need the rgem to move east and byna decent amount

Archived