Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
0z Models 2/12/2014 | Potential Major Coastal Storm

user13

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

front end thump is weak with gfs yet again... gfs not in love with this storm for us several runs in a row

The odd thing to me is that it is still doing this even with fresh data when it seems the NAM/RGEM have improved nicely...

So either the GFS has been onto something all along, OR it is doing something too funky that even good recon data into it is just not going to make it see right.

GFS doesnt handle the dynamics of the low or it is just trash, mets chime in?

For whatever reason it just seems to be really, really struggling with handling the moisture transport and dynamics of the storm over several runs now. Maybe it's feedback of some sort? I just can't buy that a low would bomb to 976 where it is and have a moderate impact. The GFS has a history of doing this and other models are much wetter, so I wouldn't worry.

GFS doesnt handle the dynamics of the low or it is just trash, mets chime in?

I think being that even the new data hasn't changed its mind, and its been consistently the least dynamic of all the models that it is just not up to par to handle such a dynamic system like this. The higher res models may be the way to go for now, and I hesitantly say that because I cant remember last time we had such a bomb like this that 24 hours out we were still all scratching our heads.

even the comma head is rain.. how often do we see that? edit as I am typing next 6 hours come out.. not in time for the NYC metro but SNE may get one hell of a comma head thats 18z and now 00z GFS shows one of the more amazing comma heads ive seen modeled 

That sounds a little bit like - wait for it - March 2001.  Please, no.

986 off NJ coast and moves NE, wheres the convective banding? Even the precip itself is lacking, what a mess. Looks good with MSLP position tho

Exactly three days ago Jetspens and I had a lengthy discussion about this. This is not model fantasy or the model being wrong -- it's the model picking up on compressive mid level winds and flow from the kicker system back over the Great Lakes. Precipitation development is shunted and much weaker because of that. Whether or not the GFS is correct with this idea is an entirely different story. 

I highly doubt that a blossoming CCB would be rain like that on the GFS-every other model also sees the dynamic cooling that would take place and crashes temps back as it starts. The GFS just is mind boggling sometimes.

Nice thing is we seem to have some agreement occurring on the track of the system. From there we can use meteorology/not modelology to forecast the rest.

Archived