Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Burns' Big Banter Bonanza

NCsandhills

I guess you referring to me

But I find that hard to believe.

Its still in the GOM with a trough axis across N FL east past JAX,FL.

Jet Stream Rider's map looks like it might be reforming off SAV? And Pack posted in the storm thread that the Rap is coming east....over HAT at 18hrs now. That's good stuff.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After about 4-5 inches of snow here about five miles South of Raleigh, the sleet has started.

That was some of the heaviest snow I've seen in years!  I wish it could have continued another

hour or two but we have to take what Mother Nature gives us and go with it. My yard looks like

a scene from Dr. Zhivago.

I've got my fingers crossed, hoping we won't have a replay of the 2002 Ice Storm.  I don't

think we'll see .67 inches of ice accrual like we did then but things are going to be touch

and go when it comes to power outages.  RWS thinks now we might get around .25 of an

inch when all is said and done.

Dry slot inbound. Gulf convection?

No, maybe later tonight after mid-night, it will be close.  Right now the deform band is starting to develop over northern AL, GA, SC and over the foothills, if you loop the image you can see it, it should start filling in nicely and than move NE, whoever gets under that will be crushed, all the snow we got is from over-running from the gulf low, not even the coastal yet.  I really hope we stay sleet.  The 18z RGEM came out, went east, just a hair east of HAT, the precip metogram is really ugly for FRZN for RDU, I sure it's wrong.  Hardly any rain on the RGEM too.  It could get ugly tonight.

http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/southeast.php

LOL at that model.  Convective feedback again. :lol:

That's just terrible.  It's been rendered pretty useless after the short-range for three of the last four runs because of convective feedback.

Precip wise, but not track, I agree it's probably to far east, but every model this afternoon has moved the SLP east, you should be pumped for tonight, no taint, deform band up your backside, get your shovel ready!

Precip wise, but not track, I agree it's probably to far east, but every model this afternoon has moved the SLP east, you should be pumped for tonight, no taint, deform band up your backside, get your shovel ready!

Oh, yes, I agree.  Looks like the lack of QPF as a result of the convective feedback screws up the temperature field, too.

I just got back in from shoveling the first 4" about 30 minutes ago.  Fun. :D

EDIT: At least the GFS still shows the strong deformation band coming through, so it's not completely useless.

No, maybe later tonight after mid-night, it will be close. Right now the deform band is starting to develop over northern AL, GA, SC and over the foothills, if you loop the image you can see it, it should start filling in nicely and than move NE, whoever gets under that will be crushed, all the snow we got is from over-running from the gulf low, not even the coastal yet. I really hope we stay sleet. The 18z RGEM came out, went east, just a hair east of HAT, the precip metogram is really ugly for FRZN for RDU, I sure it's wrong. Hardly any rain on the RGEM too. It could get ugly tonight.

http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/southeast.php

Gotcha. Looks like the returns to our south are lightening up, though. Precip looks to drop off pretty quickly soon. I'm with you on the zr thing. These east ticks are encouraging though. I would assume that increases our chances of more substantial back-end snow tomorrow, right?

Dry slot inbound. Gulf convection?

It is developing... I95 bound?!? I think

Not much on convection even though the a squall line west FL from a latitude of Orlando South.

Yeah essentially off Sav/Jax with the developing LP

Bodes well longer in the future... less ice and shifts the heaviest snow axis further east.

It is developing... I95 bound?!? I think

Not much on convection even though the a squall line west FL from a latitude of Orlando South.

Yeah essentially off Sav/Jax with the developing LP

Bodes well longer in the future... less ice and shifts the heaviest snow axis further east.

Thanks man. Maybe we can keep the column deep enough here to keep it sleeting, which it's doing very lightly at the moment.

Thanks man. Maybe we can keep the column deep enough here to keep it sleeting, which it's doing very lightly at the moment.

Looking at things, I am kind of hoping now this thing does track inland and we get dry slotted, with 5" of snow and some sleet this is a nice storm be nice if it stopped now and we didn't have to deal with freezing rain tonight.  See if RAP starts ticking back west.

Looking at things, I am kind of hoping now this thing does track inland and we get dry slotted, with 5" of snow and some sleet this is a nice storm be nice if it stopped now and we didn't have to deal with freezing rain tonight. See if RAP starts ticking back west.

I am pulling for it far enough east to give us a sleet storm all night with a change back to heavy snow tomorrow. Come on man!

I think you all may be ok and turn back to snow. But i think central greenville co south rides the sleet train all the way to the station....unfortunately.

Don't have a good feeling...A lot of frz rain here now. We're past sleet! Could go down as 2nd biggest bust since I've lived here. Thankful for my 2" but it's gonna have come down in loads to get to 8-12".

Don't have a good feeling...A lot of frz rain here now. We're past sleet! Could go down as 2nd biggest bust since I've lived here. Thankful for my 2" but it's gonna have come down in loads to get to 8-12".

ugh ditto here....just went out after a quick bite and its moderate freezing rain, glazing everything already. can hear it in the trees

Hey PB I noticed the heavy returns around RDU fading some. Has the sleet line stopped advancing north  just south of RDU via your radarscope?

No, I am all sleet, I think there will be a lull, RDU may get dry slotted, it's going to be very close, and if so it may be a blessing, I think I got about 5" of snow with sleet, wouldn't mind being done.  Radar is filling in nicely to our SW, depends on where the dry slot is.

Wow I cant believe your getting fzrn.  Gotta say I thought this equaling 2011 was a shoe in at the very least, but unless things change soon this could be my biggest disappointment ever.  Trying to stay positive though, hopefully we will change back to snow and get some heavier rates coming through.  We haven't even had more than a few minute spurts of heavy precip so far. :cry:

Guest Harv311

Oh, yes, I agree.  Looks like the lack of QPF as a result of the convective feedback screws up the temperature field, too.

I just got back in from shoveling the first 4" about 30 minutes ago.  Fun. :D

EDIT: At least the GFS still shows the strong deformation band coming through, so it's not completely useless.

if this is right int and geo is slammed keep shifting

I see a lot of people starting to call this storm a bust. Just to give an idea of where I am located, it's Clemson, SC.

I think that is in the eye of the beholder. Of course it's not as much as forecasted - YET. I'm not saying it will or will not get better, but if the storm were to end right now - I'd be content.

Wow I cant believe your getting fzrn. Gotta say I thought this equaling 2011 was a shoe in at the very least, but unless things change soon this could be my biggest disappointment ever. Trying to stay positive though, hopefully we will change back to snow and get some heavier rates coming through. We haven't even had more than a few minute spurts of heavy precip so far. :cry:

Neither can I and probably any of us ne ga to the upstate. Ton of precip to go and it's 26 so

Things are icing up fast. Barring a miracle we could still maybe to to snow but haven't second thoughts on our heavy snow band. Pretty sure the 10"+ amts off the table

I see a lot of people starting to call this storm a bust. Just to give an idea of where I am located, it's Clemson, SC.

I think that is in the eye of the beholder. Of course it's not as much as forecasted - YET. I'm not saying it will or will not get better, but if the storm were to end right now - I'd be content.

I'd be content too. I just hate it for future storms. People here actually took this storm seriously and prepared. I just wonder if next time they won't do the same because this one wasn't as bad as was forecasted.

I'd be content too. I just hate it for future storms. People here actually took this storm seriously and prepared. I just wonder if next time they won't do the same because this one wasn't as bad as was forecasted.

Concerned about that myself.  Right now totals are nowhere anywhere near what was being forecast by every met with a soapbox in ATL.  On the one hand, I am so happy about that because the amounts of frozen rain that were being suggested would have just destroyed tens of thousands of trees and property and probably hurt some people.

On the other hand, I worry that next time, nobody will listen.

Then again, it's clear that neither Charlotte nor Raleigh listened.  And now they are the butt of jokes on this evening's ATL local news, complete with traffic cam photos of the disaster traffic in both cities.  Heh.

So even though ATL didn't get what they said we would, the fact that we avoided another 24 hour traffic jam means people will probably call this a success and move on with life.

It depends on where you are. In central NC, we got a lot more snow than expected.

I would say it's probably best to be prepared and not get anything than the other way around. I get your point though and people should prepare good or bad. 

Just went out to check conditions. Switched quickly from moderate big flake snow to sleet and freezing rain! Surprised there is any liquid but I saw it on bare wood decking after I swept it. Then just as quick to moderate sleet, mixed with snow.

Accumulation is 3-4 inches estimated, blowing and drifting. 23.2 degrees

Archived