joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Burns' Big Banter Bonanza

NCsandhills

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clearly you don't know what you are talking about. If you are showing ownership, you put an apostrophe then a s.

The boy's snow shovel.

When you are talking about plural possessive ownership, you go with "The Boys' snow shovels."

And when it is a person's name ending in "s" you..........

Wx Challenge? I've heard about it and I was planning on doing it, but none of our professors or anybody mentioned it, so I tried to sign up for it the deadline was up! I was miffed about that. 

At this point I've read about the competitive job market and would take any jobs in the field wit open arms. If I got a job in broadcast I might faint, that would be awesome. 

I did do Wx Challenge my sophomore year, but Dr. Lackmann ran a forecast challenge for just the MEA 214 class.  We forecasted for RDU twice per week, IIRC, forecasting the high, low, and precipitation, IIRC.  It was a lot of fun.  A lot of the class didn't take it too seriously, but quite a few of us did and it was fun until the end.  I ended up just behind Dr. Lackmann, but ahead of the rest of the class, so I got my grade bumped up to A+. :)  I realized the NAM and GFS MOS does a pretty good job, too.  I think the MOS beat 2/3rds of the class.  :yikes:

I used the MOS a lot and made adjustments based on the typical MOS biases (MOS is usually too low on sunny days, too high on cloudy days, etc.).

It's a tough job market out there.  Good luck! :)

Oh, man, time are a'changing. Lackmann was teaching that when I went there. The forecasting contest was fun; I got a trophy for winning the class competition. :) I was a met major at NCSU for two years before I decided to transfer into economics (job prospects and because my GPA in my non-met classes was pretty mediocre... I went through Calc I-III, but Physics 208 kicked my butt. I also realized that I had no desire to do TV weather and that's where a lot of the jobs are).

I will be graduating with a economics BS in May, though. I'm probably going to grad school here, so I'll be in GSO for at least another couple years.

I remember Physics 205 and 208 well at NCSU. Had a German professor and could hardly understand a thing he was saying. Tough courses

You have the UNC fanboy talking pts down pat. If all that had happened at State I'd be one embarrassed alumnus regardless of whose job it is.

Why do you say it hasn't? Goes on everywhere today and the NCAA is a hypocrite for saying that academics or first. Most college athletes in major basketball and football programs don't even have time to do the work, much less make good grades. That is why they ALL take classes for easy A's at every school. That is the only way they can stay eligible. How are players that have less time to do the work and study, and that would not even be admitted if based on the same criteria as non- athletes really expected to keep up and do the work? No way most of them can do it. It is all just a huge scam and all about money. If it wasn't, then the schools would not be allowed to admit athletes on different criteria than everyone else. The NCAA makes millions off them. If you are shocked and surprised by what goes on in college basketball and football then you are just really naive or don't want to see the truth. It goes on everywhere. UNC, State, Duke, everywhere that is a major program. Don't be naive or just a hater and think it doesn't. The players are not there for academics anyway. They are there to play ball.

Oh, man, time are a'changing.  Lackmann was teaching that when I went there.  The forecasting contest was fun; I got a trophy for winning the class competition. :) I was a met major at NCSU for two years before I decided to transfer into economics (job prospects and because my GPA in my non-met classes was pretty mediocre... I went through Calc I-III, but Physics 208 kicked my butt.  I also realized that I had no desire to do TV weather and that's where a lot of the jobs are).

I will be graduating with a economics BS in May, though.  I'm probably going to grad school here, so I'll be in GSO for at least another couple years.

Ugh, Maple is probably my least favorite thing ever. I took calc 2 last semester and I have calc 3 this semester. Fun stuff......

I haven't seen Lackmann yet. I've heard about him from all of my professors so far, but yet to have a class taught by him. MEA 214 is taught by Boyles.

Maple has its good uses.  You guys should check out www.desmos.com for all your graphical needs.  It can handle lots of calculus nomenclature as well, and it looks ten times better than any graphing calculator ever did.

Lol, then you need to add an s after the apostrophe.

You should really give up trying to win a grammar battle with jburns.  Seriously, man?!

Why do you say it hasn't? Goes on everywhere today and the NCAA is a hypocrite for saying that academics or first. Most college athletes in major basketball and football programs don't even have time to do the work, much less make good grades. That is why they ALL take classes for easy A's at every school. That is the only way they can stay eligible. How are players that have less time to do the work and study, and that would not even be admitted if based on the same criteria as non- athletes really expected to keep up and do the work? No way most of them can do it. It is all just a huge scam and all about money. If it wasn't, then the schools would not be allowed to admit athletes on different criteria than everyone else. The NCAA makes millions off them. If you are shocked and surprised by what goes on in college basketball and football then you are just really naive or don't want to see the truth. It goes on everywhere. UNC, State, Duke, everywhere that is a major program. Don't be naive or just a hater and think it doesn't. The players are not there for academics anyway. They are there to play ball.

Haha, not naive at all. I know there are easy classes, every student on campus knows the easiest degrees and GPA boosting classes. There is a difference however to making academic exceptions for athletes that ant read past a 6th grade level and having classes for one student that don't meet, where no professor contact even happens. Again, I'd be embarrassed and want reform if it was a place I held a degree from as it devalues mine in return. I mean State took imitative and death-penaltied itself, along with a nod of approval from the UNC-system BOG and ACC back in 1990, based on ludicrous rumors and players selling extra tickets and their shoes. But yea, I'm naive. Anyway, I hope you get 6" from this storm then come Summer I'll come show you how to play basketball :P

Archived