joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 11-19th Clippers/Hybrids

Chicago Storm

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well just had a fun drive home from work. Roads even State Route 35 are snow covered and could barely see anything in front of me but made it home safe. Knew this thing must have stayed farther north when i saw at around 12:30 that the row of counties just south of me upgraded to a warning. Maybe an inch already.

Well LOT going 2-4" tomorrow, sorry but I don't see that. 

reasoning behind it

NEXT WELL-DEFINED CLIPPER SYSTEM OVER SOUTHERN ALBERTA THIS   AFTERNOON WILL DEVELOP SOUTHEAST AT THE NOSE OF A WELL-DEFINED PV   ANOMALY. THIS HAS SIMILAR ORIENTATION AND MAGNITUDE CHARACTERISTICS   TO TODAYS CLIPPER TO OUR SOUTH...AS WELL AS MANY OF ITS PREDECESSORS   THIS WINTER THAT HAVE OUTPERFORMED GUIDANCE. WHILE GUIDANCE IS   TRENDING UPWARD...HAVE CONTINUED TO GO HIGHER WITH QPF/SNOWFALL.   OVERALL GUIDANCE IS IN GOOD AGREEMENT WITH THE PLACEMENT OF KEY   FEATURES OF THIS SYSTEM...AND VORT ADVECTION AND TRANSIENT BUT   STRONG OMEGA WITHIN STEEP MID-LEVEL LAPSE RATES LOOK TO BE THE KEY   PLAYERS.     THE INHERENT AIR MASS IS DRY INTO EARLY SATURDAY AFTERNOON...BUT AS   THE WARM AIR ADVECTION/F-GEN WING DEVELOPS EAST WOULD EXPECT TO SEE   A HEALTHY AREA OF SNOW BY EARLY AFTERNOON ACROSS EASTERN   IA/NORTHWEST IL ADVANCING INTO THE CWA BY LATE DAY. THERE COULD BE A   PERIOD OF HEAVY SNOW WITH THIS GIVEN HOW THESE WINGS OFTEN WORK.   WITH THE CLIPPER CENTER PASSING OVER THE SOUTHWEST FORECAST AREA   DURING THE EVE...THIS LOOKS LIKE THE MAIN TIME FOR WHEN WIDESPREAD   SNOW SHOULD BE SEEN IN THE CWA. DO NOT SEE THINGS AS IDEAL AS WHAT   HAPPENED IN CENTRAL IL TODAY...FOR INSTANCE LESS DEEP MOISTURE AND   NOT AS GOOD SUPERSATURATION WITH RESPECT TO ICE...HOWEVER IT IS   LOOKING MORE LIKE A 2-4 INCH TYPE SNOWFALL...ESPECIALLY FOR NORTHERN   IL. WINDS LOOK TO BE 10 MPH OR LESS...KEEPING BLOWING SNOW TO A   MINIMUM.  

reasoning behind it

NEXT WELL-DEFINED CLIPPER SYSTEM OVER SOUTHERN ALBERTA THIS   AFTERNOON WILL DEVELOP SOUTHEAST AT THE NOSE OF A WELL-DEFINED PV   ANOMALY. THIS HAS SIMILAR ORIENTATION AND MAGNITUDE CHARACTERISTICS   TO TODAYS CLIPPER TO OUR SOUTH...AS WELL AS MANY OF ITS PREDECESSORS   THIS WINTER THAT HAVE OUTPERFORMED GUIDANCE. WHILE GUIDANCE IS   TRENDING UPWARD...HAVE CONTINUED TO GO HIGHER WITH QPF/SNOWFALL.   OVERALL GUIDANCE IS IN GOOD AGREEMENT WITH THE PLACEMENT OF KEY   FEATURES OF THIS SYSTEM...AND VORT ADVECTION AND TRANSIENT BUT   STRONG OMEGA WITHIN STEEP MID-LEVEL LAPSE RATES LOOK TO BE THE KEY   PLAYERS.   

Can't play that card every time.

Odds are it fails this time.

Hopefully they meet in the middle, would look better for the southern half of Wisconsin.  As of now, the NAM, GEM and Euro actually have the heaviest snow potential (though the marginal temps as well) just south of us, and the GFS N and NW.

Honestly, I hope a southern solution wins out since it would be a lot more interesting. Euro ensemble mean looks like it has the slp on the southern tip of Lake Michigan which is usually a favorable position for us.

Archived