• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 11-19th Clippers/Hybrids

Chicago Storm

We've had countless threads full of Euro bashing all winter (a quick search shows multiple posts to that effect from everyone in this thread) and all the sudden everyone is back to riding it?  Seems kind of weenie to me, but it's no big deal. I'll back out of this thread and let you guys be.

2.8" final call

EURO has been awful on clippers this year, outside of that, I don't think it's been that bad. GGEM has been pretty solid this season if I recall correctly. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've had countless threads full of Euro bashing all winter (a quick search shows multiple posts to that effect from everyone in this thread) and all the sudden everyone is back to riding it? Seems kind of weenie to me, but it's no big deal. I'll back out of this thread and let you guys be.

2.8" final call

Now come on, don't go that route...leaving the thread. That's what dummies like me typically do. Your weather knowledge is vast and important to our crew.

Alas, I'm not sure we can say what model has been the best...with any true verification. That's all I'm saying. GFS had a hot hand earlier this winter I thought, but I haven't been enamored with it since. But maybe that's just my weenie goggles. I guess we'll see what happens with the Mon system, but I wouldn't count out any solution at the moment.

Can't beat this for a Saturday morning. Just need Geos to say something about his snowpack.

+10. I was outside chopping up ice and I don't even need gloves or even a coat on really. Did not expect today to be like this.

Only lost 1/2" in the last 3 days due to sublimation most likely.

17z RAP not coming in much wetter.

RAP_255_2014021517_F17_PCPIN_15_HR.png

Impressive reports out of Iowa though.

Tough one but I think something in the 2-4" range is a sensible call for LAF.  More like 2" if mixing is a big problem and more like 4" if it's all or mostly snow.  We are really riding the edge and any underestimation of WAA would be a problem.

Solid call right now. Might be one of those storms where we wait until game time to see what we're going to get.

Solid call right now. Might be one of those storms where we wait until game time to see what we're going to get.

One thing that we can say is that the threat of plain rain in any quantity is looking less and less likely.  Pretty remarkable as this looked like a safe rainstorm for us as of a couple days ago (outside of perhaps a brief shot of mix at onset). 

One thing that we can say is that the threat of plain rain in any quantity is looking less and less likely.  Pretty remarkable as this looked like a safe rainstorm for us as of a couple days ago (outside of perhaps a brief shot of mix at onset). 

All along, I've thought it was going to be a safely "warm" storm for us. Guess not...at the moment anyways. 

This looked like a rainstorm for US (brief frozen at onset) until about 3 days ago per GFS.

The GFS was too dry with the last medium-sized event (2/4 I think it was?) and too warm on bl temps on a few East Coast storms the past couple of weeks.  Seems to be a consistent problem for now.

And considering the trend has been colder and wetter for about 48 hours now, I'd lean high.  Probably 3-5" here with room for improvement.

It appears the current clipper may be a bit of an underperformer.  The flake size is pretty small and not piling up like cotton balls would.  The reports from out west and northwest aren't too impressive so far.

There's widespread reports of 1-3"

CID is 1/2M and ALO is 1/4M with +SN and 0.11" liquid in the past hour.

If you were expecting anything more than what's occuring, you were setting yourself up for failure.

There's widespread reports of 1-3"

CID is 1/2M and ALO is 1/4M with +SN and 0.11" liquid in the past hour.

If you were expecting anything more than what's occuring, you were setting yourself up for failure.

I'm referring more to the ratios maybe being lowered than expected.  Here in Cedar Rapids the tiny flakes poured down for the first hour, but we only got a half inch of snow.  A guy up by Waterloo says he has 2" and it's nearly over.  The last day's models suggested some 3-4 inch totals if the ratios were favorable.  The snow is only going to last 3 or 4 hours so it has to pile up quickly to exceed 2".  0.5"/hr won't cut it.

Archived